Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Enjoyable 991 GT3 taxi run at the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
For a 9-10 minute lap? You probably could do 10-11 minutes driving your car and the cost would be under $100.
True. But then you would take the risks. And how would you feel having damage on your car whether it be because of you or someone else. Like that minivan, full of family with little kids, and the driver gets distracted at the same time while you are attempting a pass.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
True. But then you would take the risks. And how would you feel having damage on your car whether it be because of you or someone else. Like that minivan, full of family with little kids, and the driver gets distracted at the same time while you are attempting a pass.
If you use reasonable caution, drive below your limits, watch your mirrors, and respect where you are it need not be any more dangerous than driving the Autobahn. As a first timer just remember that you're driving for the experience, not to break any records, and you'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

You obviously are a sport car enthusiast. Therefore I assume you have some driving ability. My point is that if you have your own sport car you could driving the course safely and have a blast doing it. I am not criticizing anyone for taking the ride but AFAIC you would enjoy it a great deal more if you are behind the wheel.

BTW, I agree I would not take my family for the ride. You need to focus on what you are doing and immerse yourself in the fun of the once in the lifetime event.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

My point is that if you have your own sport car you could driving the course safely and have a blast doing it. I am not criticizing anyone for taking the ride but AFAIC you would enjoy it a great deal more if you are behind the wheel.
Been there, done that. Had navigator in passenger seat. Always kept aware of surroundings but still got in a couple of close calls. Some on NBR have lots of experience. Worst offenders I found, on tourist days, were actually motorcycles. Some of those appear fearless, as in passing you everywhere, with rear wheels <1ft from your front bumper (or so it appeared at those speeds).

But completed, checked of an item on my bucket list nevertheless.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Been there, done that. Had navigator in passenger seat. Always kept aware of surroundings but still got in a couple of close calls. Some on NBR have lots of experience. Worst offenders I found, on tourist days, were actually motorcycles. Some of those appear fearless, as in passing you everywhere, with rear wheels <1ft from your front bumper (or so it appeared at those speeds).

But completed, checked of an item on my bucket list nevertheless.
I am envious!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

You obviously are a sport car enthusiast. Therefore I assume you have some driving ability. My point is that if you have your own sport car you could driving the course safely and have a blast doing it. I am not criticizing anyone for taking the ride but AFAIC you would enjoy it a great deal more if you are behind the wheel.

BTW, I agree I would not take my family for the ride. You need to focus on what you are doing and immerse yourself in the fun of the once in the lifetime event.
^ +1
don't take wifey unless she is an experienced track driver...
they can be very distracting!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

When I was at the 'ring with my ED E46 M3, between laps I chatted with various folks in the 'paddock', which led to an invitation to ride along with some locals in fully prepped Audis. Felt like a passenger in a Touring Car race. Didn't cost me a penny, and was quite a thrill. More so than driving myself, to be honest.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I must admit I would of got car sick in that passenger seat
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
When I was at the 'ring with my ED E46 M3, between laps I chatted with various folks in the 'paddock', which led to an invitation to ride along with some locals in fully prepped Audis. Felt like a passenger in a Touring Car race. Didn't cost me a penny, and was quite a thrill. More so than driving myself, to be honest.
+1. Went there two summers ago and met some very nice locals. Ended up right seating in a Boxster with a local who had 500-600 laps on the Ring and knew the course like the back of his hand. Besides helping to learn the course, it was quite a thrill ride. The guy was blowing past supercars on each lap as if they were going backwards, usually with all four wheels drifting perfectly to the edge of the next track out. That encounter made the trip twice as fun as it would have been otherwise. At one point, when he had humbled a large group of Italy's finest, he turned and said <imagine a deep German accent> "And they say this is a girly car!"
Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Most amazing to me is the passenger has no helmet on, and presumably the driver is also not wearing a
helmet. No matter how highly skilled you are, or think you are, a dumb move by another car is always
possible - especially with the huge range of skills (0-100?) of all the other drivers you are sharing the track with. That said, I'd go for at least one lap by the pro first just to see the moves he makes and the trickiest parts of the track, but really look forward to driving it myself - With a helmet on for both rides.
Tried to do that on my last Treffen with FastLane in my rented 911S, but they make you sign a blood oath
you will NOT take the car on the track under threat of a life term in a Jail Cell with 12 hours of daily torture by the SS. Thanks for posting - Always enjoy watching a really good driver and car on the track.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy a video game system and racing game with the ring as a venue before going over just to learn it. Although I haven't played Gran Turismo in over 10 years I can tell where someone is as at when flipping through the TV channels and they have some race going on at Laguna Seca. Granted the ring has a couple of more turns and is a bit longer than LS! Just prep yourself for this adventure.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
MAKHNO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven the ring for almost 10 years now, he drives very cautious in a 911, doesn't use the high speed traction it has and his line is off quite a few places, so it is quite safe with no helmet on a run like that, remember it is just a piece of Autobahn - one-way though - and you never reach top speed in your car at the ring, which you do on the autobahn with no helmet.

Using games to learn the ring is both good and bad, yes you work through the track, but in some games with a wheel I can run it while braking just two or three times, you can't do that in real life, so you might end up doing something not so good IRL.
Also the track is from 1927 and some of the tarmac seems that old, you have opposite camber to corners, you have compressions so hard you might as well weld the wheels to the car and the Tarmac is so worn at places that in the middle of summer it is as slippery as if it was covered in ice.

My best advices to noobs on the ring:

1. Don't drive against the other cars, as the ford focus is driven by a guy who lives close by and has a year pass, and he knows there is a 90 degree turn behind the hill

2. Don't drive against the spec of the car as you will kill the car (and maybe you too) on the first run if you try - almost no run-off space anywhere, but lots of Armco and 100 year old trees to catch you

3. Drive we'll below your own limits and treat the ring as a piece of country road you have never been before, where you might encounter a bicycle or stray cow behind a hill

Today I do 7:52,5 in a 7.2 C2S, but my first run was completed in 14,5min and I was ten feet tall and proud as hell, while smoke came out of my brakes.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MAKHNO
Having driven the ring for almost 10 years now, he drives very cautious in a 911, doesn't use the high speed traction it has and his line is off quite a few places, so it is quite safe with no helmet on a run like that, remember it is just a piece of Autobahn - one-way though - and you never reach top speed in your car at the ring, which you do on the autobahn with no helmet.

Using games to learn the ring is both good and bad, yes you work through the track, but in some games with a wheel I can run it while braking just two or three times, you can't do that in real life, so you might end up doing something not so good IRL.
Also the track is from 1927 and some of the tarmac seems that old, you have opposite camber to corners, you have compressions so hard you might as well weld the wheels to the car and the Tarmac is so worn at places that in the middle of summer it is as slippery as if it was covered in ice.

My best advices to noobs on the ring:

1. Don't drive against the other cars, as the ford focus is driven by a guy who lives close by and has a year pass, and he knows there is a 90 degree turn behind the hill

2. Don't drive against the spec of the car as you will kill the car (and maybe you too) on the first run if you try - almost no run-off space anywhere, but lots of Armco and 100 year old trees to catch you

3. Drive we'll below your own limits and treat the ring as a piece of country road you have never been before, where you might encounter a bicycle or stray cow behind a hill

Today I do 7:52,5 in a 7.2 C2S, but my first run was completed in 14,5min and I was ten feet tall and proud as hell, while smoke came out of my brakes.

Just my 2 cents
Sounds like excellent advice. Great post....

Quick Reply: Very Enjoyable 991 GT3 taxi run at the ring.