Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Steering Durability - Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i would assume just as resilient as front wheel steering...
Lol, this is actually a very good point.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol, this is actually a very good point.
I disagree, I see that little rubber cover over an electric thingy and than see how we melted and broke caliper pistons, rotors, broke sway bar mounts, etc. etc

Shops start messing with setup, control arms, bushings maybe. I'd leave this one bone stock!!

Could work, I'd like to see it work at Sebring for a while before I'm sold. Just like the PDK, works in most places, but it has not been trouble free and has overheated..
Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I disagree, I see that little rubber cover over an electric thingy and than see how we melted and broke caliper pistons, rotors, broke sway bar mounts, etc. etc

Shops start messing with setup, control arms, bushings maybe. I'd leave this one bone stock!!

Could work, I'd like to see it work at Sebring for a while before I'm sold. Just like the PDK, works in most places, but it has not been trouble free and has overheated..
Like the rubber used in CV boots? I agree that it's best to leave it bone stock for now. I also agree that we need some real world feedback on track before any conclusions can be made. Too bad it's gonna be a while...
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yup, look forward to it!

I'm sure it's ok on most cars, most tracks, most of the time, but there's so much heat there...
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts

GM had this on Suburbans years ago. Made the really easy to turn around without need of a football field.
They DON'T offer it anymore. (Hint)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
GM had this on Suburbans years ago. Made the really easy to turn around without need of a football field. They DON'T offer it anymore. (Hint)
And Honda Perludes in the early 90s.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I came across these pics from the 991 turbo and turbo S technical service information brochure (SIT) regarding RWS. What I found interesting was according to the SIT, the virtual wheelbase will change by +500mm for high speeds turns (lengthening, red lines in pic) and -250mm for low speeds turns (shortening, blue lines in pic).

It appears that the virtual center of mass at the high speed turns may also create closer to mid-engine-like rotational dynamics. Coupled with the more direct center steering (Porsche claims the steering ratio on the front axle is 10% more direct center when compared to 991 Carreras), which the RWS can handle due to the lengthened virtual wheelbase, resulting in a more responsive steering/handling/agility of the vehicle.

I suspect the RWS on the GT3 when compared to the RWS on the turbo/turbo S is at least equivalent to or better than in terms of rotational dynamics.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Steering Durability - Track Days