tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the brits have a soft spot for jags
Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to deviate from the subject but they offer a $12K wheel option and their carbon ceramics are $12K as well. And I thought Porsche options were ridiculously priced.

Edit: The upgraded wheels adds the CC brakes.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM
mbg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're planning on abandoning us for the Jag forums just do us all a favor and leave a high res version of your avatar behind…..

Nizer, like it good humor.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
AP famously said that the 991 GT3 steering was designed with no filtering of any "noise" and that it represented their best attempt to deliver 100% of the available feedback feel and information. Was not tailored for comfort, etc...
i highlight for you
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the new Jag is purdy
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM
outline
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Anything is possible for an electric rack, in theory. It can be made sensitive as a vinyl record player needle, and as responsive as needed, and it has been done in other fields (robotics, prosthetics). .
But this is to totally ignore how the force is assisting. It is this that fundamentally creates the difference between electric and hydraulic power steering systems and is why electric cannot match hydraulic in terms beyond the turn wheel/car turns relationship which infact all steering systems meet. It is this physical difference that is the reason for the disparity, it is not a software issue and its not an issue of sensitivity.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
If you're planning on abandoning us for the Jag forums just do us all a favor and leave a high res version of your avatar behind…..
Boy, do I agree with that.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by outline
But this is to totally ignore how the force is assisting. It is this that fundamentally creates the difference between electric and hydraulic power steering systems and is why electric cannot match hydraulic in terms beyond the turn wheel/car turns relationship which infact all steering systems meet. It is this physical difference that is the reason for the disparity, it is not a software issue and its not an issue of sensitivity.

With hydraulic steering a double acting hydraulic cylinder applies force to the steering gear. In an electric system a software controlled electric motor applies force to the steering gear. The method for applying force is nowhere near as important as the overall design of the steering system. There are crappy hydraulic systems and crappy electric systems and vice versa. As Max points out electric motors have replaced hydraulics in other fields and I don't see any inherent reason why an ES can't be just as good as a hydraulic system.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I drove the Jag Vert on track and it was an absolute blast! I grinned ear to ear for ages afterwards.

While I love my 911s and my cup cars...I've never once gotten out and felt giddy...adrenaline to the max yes...but never quite "fun".

The Jag is fun above all else and for a street car that makes a ton of sense. We can never push a 911 on the street so why not have a ton of fun??

I'm negotiating now to buy an F type! Can't wait. Before driving it I was super skeptical! Go out and drive one!!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:06 PM
outline
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

With hydraulic steering a double acting hydraulic cylinder applies force to the steering gear. In an electric system a software controlled electric motor applies force to the steering gear. The method for applying force is nowhere near as important as the overall design of the steering system. There are crappy hydraulic systems and crappy electric systems and vice versa. As Max points out electric motors have replaced hydraulics in other fields and I don't see any inherent reason why an ES can't be just as good as a hydraulic system.
It can certainly be as good in terms of function. It already is. You turn the wheel and the car steers. Perfect.

You underestimate the force application. Hydraulic action makes it easier for you to push, the electric motor feels like it is helping you by pulling. The sense of control is dramatically different as a result. Try it with a heavy box if you want a myth busters afternoon and have a spare friend to push/pull.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

It can certainly be as good in terms of function. It already is. You turn the wheel and the car steers. Perfect.

You underestimate the force application. Hydraulic action makes it easier for you to push, the electric motor feels like it is helping you by pulling. The sense of control is dramatically different as a result. Try it with a heavy box if you want a myth busters afternoon and have a spare friend to push/pull.
I just don't agree with your characterization. We'll have to decide to disagree. Torque is torque. It's all in the way it's controlled and applied. I would bet significant money that someone who drove my 991 GT3 would not be able to tell that it had electric assist if they didn't know it ahead of time. They could probably tell that the steering felt slightly different if they had experience with other Porsches but not that an electric motor was involved.

Don't know if you've seen this depiction of how the electric assist works, It's kind of interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=qxWxq4G7YU4
Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I love manual racks on the track- best feel. On street- better load up on protein- its a chore. Thank god I arrive and drive. Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
outline
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I just don't agree with your characterization. We'll have to decide to disagree. Torque is torque.
one system isnt applying any torque. thats the thing.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

one system isnt applying any torque. thats the thing.
When the hydraulic piston moves back and forth it's applying force to the steering rack same as with the electric motor. Force is force. If not torque, what should we call it?
Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I like Chris Harris's hair.

Quick Reply: Jag better steering feel than 991?