Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?

To those of you who already have your GT3, including Mike and Macca, if you hadn't already taken delivery on your GT3 would you go through with your GT3 purchase in a month or two if they replaced the engine at the factory?

I ask this b/c I do not subscribe to the philosophy that a replaced engine is a big deal. It's a day job and not at all surgery, meaning the systems are compromised like in surgery on a human.

Despite my position on it not constituting surgery or otherwise tainting the car, maybe I'm in the minority and the 2014 will become the redheaded step child of the 991 GT3/RS production run.

OTOH if ALL 991 GT3s get the updated engine, there's no way to distinguish b/t one with an engine replacement and one originally assembled with the updated motor other than build date perhaps. Meaning, there are no 'bad' engines on the roads.

Thoughts?

My car is at Emden, apparently returning to the factory at some point to undergo 'surgery'. So I have the choice to refuse it or accept a factory engine swap.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Ugh I don't know. It's the timing for me that would bother me more than anything. If it's an extra week or two, no problem...if its 2-3 months...nope, not waiting. Which is a shame because my car looks perfect to me.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be ok with the swap as long as Porsche could unequivocally describe why the old engine was bad and why the new engine won't be.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I would go pick up a check and look at GT3's again in the fall.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything "unequivocal" seems out of reach.

That said, my car is at port. If it's an engine swap, so be it--better than having existing engine opened up locally and tinkered with.

Man. I just want to know what the situation is and what the real time frame is. Setting expectations would make it much easier.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

For comparison....

Factory reconditioned Industrial Bosch Power tools were /are sold to authorized distributors (including w/a new full factory warranty) at 50% less than original distributor cost.

These were tools that were defective or broke within 90 days of original purchase & were returned for credit or replacement for another new tool.

As a distributor we bought all the recon product we could get & sold them quickly at 50% less than we
normally sold them for. Only problem there was never enough product & we sold lots!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Anything "unequivocal" seems out of reach.

That said, my car is at port. If it's an engine swap, so be it--better than having existing engine opened up locally and tinkered with.

Man. I just want to know what the situation is and what the real time frame is. Setting expectations would make it much easier.
Well, macca's announcement wasn't based on an official word from porsche so we'll have to wait on timing I suppose.

To my original question, I have full faith in an engine swap by the factory or a master tech at your local dealer. My concern is whether engine swapped cars will somehow be less desirable though functionally equivalent and still 'numbers matching'.

From posts on this board some are far more sensitive to the issue than I am.

But yeah, timing blows. Another couple of months out.

If they let me I'm going to do a euro delivery.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Macca could still be wrong guys, but if not I'd run and get my money back.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

There are lots of details still to come, but assuming a scenario where this is resolved in 1-2 months and not 6, I wouldn't see any reason not to take delivery of the car. It will be brand new with a brand new factory motor; at least that's my assumption.

The advantage of passing now and waiting until later might be that options like bucket seats could be available. OTOH, who knows what Porsche is going to do next with the GT3. When all is said and done, counting the cost for close to 800 motors @ $50K, shipping, labor, likely compensation, etc. this will probably end up being at least a $100M exercise for Porsche. Will they decide to cut production short?

The thing is, this car is really, really good. Knowing what I know about what it's like to drive, I'd definitely accept the wait on the assumption that the issues will have been resolved. If you don't believe that Porsche can make the car right, then that's a whole different ball game. OTOH they have a huge amount riding on insuring that the car WILL be right. You pay your money and take your choice.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Macca could still be wrong guys, but if not I'd run and get my money back.
No kidding. You have cars for sale in the ads touting "never driven in the rain" and "always wore gloves to touch steering wheel and shifter". And now you are talking about cars with engine/trnasmission torn out and replaced. I know I wouldn't touch one for less than a $10k-15k price adjustment. There is plenty to go wrong in an engine swap.

Porsche just grew themselves a bumper crop of lemons
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
No kidding. You have cars for sale in the ads touting "never driven in the rain" and "always wore gloves to touch steering wheel and shifter". And now you are talking about cars with engine/trnasmission torn out and replaced. I know I wouldn't touch one for less than a $10k-15k price adjustment. There is plenty to go wrong in an engine swap. Porsche just grew themselves a bumper crop of lemons
Hey savyboy,I remember I had a few " run-ins " with you a while back when I was hooked on Porsche Kool-Aid. I apologize for that man,I am sorry,you were right all along.

Sorry for the OT.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree that the dealer swapping a motor is not a big deal. As I mentioned in another thread, I had a transmission replaced on my 997 within the first few months, and never had another problem. So if I had a 991GT3 right now, I would look forward to whatever Porsche plans to do as compensation for my inconvenience, and enjoy the loaner until the car is repaired.

However, I would not take delivery of a new $150k car that had the engine swapped by the dealer unless discounted significantly.

I suppose I would be OK with it if the factory is doing the swap, but would rather wait for a 2015 if delivery is still a few months out.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's going to be a hard and personaly decision for those whose cars are going to be updated at the dealer. Slightly less difficult for those whose cars will be taken back and retrofitted at the factory.

I count myself very fortuate to be in the final group whose cars have not yet started assembly, just hoping that Porsche doesn't decide to suddenly end production before mine gets the chance to journey down the line.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Wonder what was wrong with the 1st batch of engines. Harmonics? Hopefully PAG will spill out the beans what was wrong. If it was me I probably ask for a full refund and give me another one same spec but latter option- PAG will just laugh. Mike
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Hey savyboy,I remember I had a few " run-ins " with you a while back when I was hooked on Porsche Kool-Aid. I apologize for that man,I am sorry,you were right all along.

Sorry for the OT.
No worries Thank you for your gracious words. I make plenty of misteakes and am thrilled to learn from them

It took me $1MM of new Porsche vehicles to figure out the reality vs the marketing spew. It'll be a long, long time before I ever buy a (new) P car again.

Quick Reply: WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?