Sponsored by:

Loaner car reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loaner car reviews

To get away from all of this dreadful talk of not having my car, which is being aggressively fueled by this forum I thought why not go ahead and change the tone and give a review of my loaner car.

I had a choice between a Cayenne, Panamera, or Boxster. I'm sure I could have pushed for a Carrera with the proper nudging but I thought why push hard for something I don't want, it's not my GT3 and never will be, so the point a to point b philosophy works for me.

I took the 2014 Boxster with about 80 miles on the dash, they took it off the new car lot for my use. I chose the Boxster for one reason and one reason only, I've never been in a convertible. They always seem so unreasonable especially in the Houston weather that why would I want on? I told myself I probably will never have a more perfect opportunity to enjoy a convertible without having any guilt of actually buying one.

Not to sure about the options on the car but it seems pretty basic, and honestly it works. Any other car that was that basic I would probably complain about something, but all the bareness of the car seems to just have a very "boxster" feel to it.

This was my first time in a boxster of any sort and I thought the only fair ground I could really compare it to was my BMW 335I that I had once upon a time. The car handles awesome, compared to a GT3 I felt like it was a Camry, but once I put myself in the mind set that these are in different classes and I need to compare this against something that would make it a fair fight I started enjoying the car much more.

The car has decent acceleration, but I can't imagine why the hell anyone would put PDK in this car? The car is not fast enough for any trace of PDK to be in here, if anything the car would be sooooooooooo much funner if it was a proper manual gearbox. That's just my opinion, but cars that are not fast should have a manual just to keep the fun in them.

I hate the way the "Paddles" are set up on this car, they are literally little buttons that confuse the **** out of me when I actually wanna go fast. I will start downshifting when I want to upshift and vice versa. I'm sure that is just my own shortcoming, but nevertheless it is ****ty.

The car is stupid fun when you put the top down. I'm not sure how I can really explain a little more eloquently, but I just can't. Every time I put the top down I feel liberated, not sure if that's because this is my first time in a convertible or if it is just that much fun having your top down. Oh yea and the currently awesome Houston weather doesn't hurt either.

Another note that I have to make that was brought to my attention was the looks the car gets. I have zero explanation for it. Apparently the car has gotten me admiring looks from females and males alike, apparently much more than my GT3 did. Frankly, I didn't notice it because when I drive I rarely focus on anything but the music and the road, but it was true I could tell how much attention the car was bringing in. I even got a piece of paper with a number on it stuck to my wiper this weekend, so either its my ridiculously good looks or convertibles are the way to pick up women (I'm going with its my ridiculously good looks)

All in all the car is super fun to drive, but it would be much more fun with a manual gearbox. I am thoroughly enjoying my loaner car but can't wait to have my GT3 back. And for any potential buyers out there that are going for the GT3 as a car that will get you the ladies, save yourself some serious coin and get the boxster
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Lol!
Unique review to a Boxster.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary
To get away from all of this dreadful talk of not having my car, which is being aggressively fueled by this forum I thought why not go ahead and change the tone and give a review of my loaner car.

I had a choice between a Cayenne, Panamera, or Boxster. I'm sure I could have pushed for a Carrera with the proper nudging but I thought why push hard for something I don't want, it's not my GT3 and never will be, so the point a to point b philosophy works for me.

I took the 2014 Boxster with about 80 miles on the dash, they took it off the new car lot for my use. I chose the Boxster for one reason and one reason only, I've never been in a convertible. They always seem so unreasonable especially in the Houston weather that why would I want on? I told myself I probably will never have a more perfect opportunity to enjoy a convertible without having any guilt of actually buying one.

Not to sure about the options on the car but it seems pretty basic, and honestly it works. Any other car that was that basic I would probably complain about something, but all the bareness of the car seems to just have a very "boxster" feel to it.

This was my first time in a boxster of any sort and I thought the only fair ground I could really compare it to was my BMW 335I that I had once upon a time. The car handles awesome, compared to a GT3 I felt like it was a Camry, but once I put myself in the mind set that these are in different classes and I need to compare this against something that would make it a fair fight I started enjoying the car much more.

The car has decent acceleration, but I can't imagine why the hell anyone would put PDK in this car? The car is not fast enough for any trace of PDK to be in here, if anything the car would be sooooooooooo much funner if it was a proper manual gearbox. That's just my opinion, but cars that are not fast should have a manual just to keep the fun in them.

I hate the way the "Paddles" are set up on this car, they are literally little buttons that confuse the **** out of me when I actually wanna go fast. I will start downshifting when I want to upshift and vice versa. I'm sure that is just my own shortcoming, but nevertheless it is ****ty.

The car is stupid fun when you put the top down. I'm not sure how I can really explain a little more eloquently, but I just can't. Every time I put the top down I feel liberated, not sure if that's because this is my first time in a convertible or if it is just that much fun having your top down. Oh yea and the currently awesome Houston weather doesn't hurt either.

Another note that I have to make that was brought to my attention was the looks the car gets. I have zero explanation for it. Apparently the car has gotten me admiring looks from females and males alike, apparently much more than my GT3 did. Frankly, I didn't notice it because when I drive I rarely focus on anything but the music and the road, but it was true I could tell how much attention the car was bringing in. I even got a piece of paper with a number on it stuck to my wiper this weekend, so either its my ridiculously good looks or convertibles are the way to pick up women (I'm going with its my ridiculously good looks)

All in all the car is super fun to drive, but it would be much more fun with a manual gearbox. I am thoroughly enjoying my loaner car but can't wait to have my GT3 back. And for any potential buyers out there that are going for the GT3 as a car that will get you the ladies, save yourself some serious coin and get the boxster

Ehem...was probably a woman interested in the woman driving that hot sporty car...cough cough.

I had a boxter loaner once...was pretty fun for the same reasons you said but holy crap was it slow. PDK was utterly pointless as you mentioned.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

The Boxster S is much faster. One of the best cars I have ever driven.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick
The Boxster S is much faster. One of the best cars I have ever driven.
I would imagine the S would be much funner to drive, especially with a proper manual. Unfortunately they only had Boxster for a loaner. As far as it being the best car you have driven, you do realize this is a GT3 forum lol?

I think it would be much more accurate to say that in the price range it is in the S would probably be the best option you could get? Even though I would differ to an M3.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 596 Posts

Interesting, indeed, and many of the things I've felt about Boxsters for years. Severely underrated. Now try a Boxster S with a manual, the X73 suspension, and sport exhaust. If "fun" is the objective, it's extremely hard to beat for road work.

And convertibles have come a long, long way thanks to better top technology and technique. Very little downside in a 981...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that chassis is so solid it could easily handle another 200hp.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
jonsack
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

They delivered this C2S with PDK with 15 miles on the clock. Nicely optioned, with Bose Stereo with good sound quality. Its no GT3 but not at all bad for a loaner. I just sold my C2S 3 weeks ago which was almost identical except no sun roof or stereo upgrades. The only fault with this car is a creaking noise from the sun roof ....thats why I don't order the Sun Roof option any more. My Black GT3 is still captive at the dealer with all the factory wrappings still in place. I cant wait to get my hands on it. Its been over a year since I sold my 997 GT3 anticipating its delivery. I really miss the excitement!
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonsack

They delivered this C2S with PDK with 15 miles on the clock. Nicely optioned, with Bose Stereo with good sound quality. Its no GT3 but not at all bad for a loaner. I just sold my C2S 3 weeks ago which was almost identical except no sun roof or stereo upgrades. The only fault with this car is a creaking noise from the sun roof ....thats why I don't order the Sun Roof option any more. My Black GT3 is still captive at the dealer with all the factory wrappings still in place. I cant wait to get my hands on it. Its been over a year since I sold my 997 GT3 anticipating its delivery. I really miss the excitement!
What a loaner Enjoy it until you get the GT3.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Id love something like this.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see some drifting in your future.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...Another note that I have to make that was brought to my attention was the looks the car gets. I have zero explanation for it. Apparently the car has gotten me admiring looks from females and males alike, apparently much more than my GT3 did. Frankly, I didn't notice it because when I drive I rarely focus on anything but the music and the road, but it was true I could tell how much attention the car was bringing in. I even got a piece of paper with a number on it stuck to my wiper this weekend, so either its my ridiculously good looks or convertibles are the way to pick up women (I'm going with its my ridiculously good looks)

Hahahahaha, loved the part about the getting a phone number! There is a car that is doing it's job well!! Haven't gotten any numbers over here on my Carrera
Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I was once given a 3-cylinder Geo Metro with a cracked windshield and sprung seats as a loaner. In the interests of keeping this a "family friendly" forum, I shall withhold my review.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I was once given a 3-cylinder Geo Metro with a cracked windshield and sprung seats as a loaner. In the interests of keeping this a "family friendly" forum, I shall withhold my review.
I had to drive a Geo Metro for 2 months back in 1990. Company gave it to me while I was working out of state.

After driving it for a month I started referring to the car as "satan" and I decided that the company was trying to kill me for insurance money or something so I turned in my resignation.

Car was such a POS that I'd have felt safer on a motorcycle.

So, at least Porsche isn't trying to kill you guys with a Metro.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Lol. They should just give you that 3 wheeled car from Top Gear they flip all the time.

Quick Reply: Loaner car reviews