Sponsored by:

All GT3's recalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
ALL GT3's recalled. Owners are instructed NOT to drive their cars. Porsche will tow them to the dealers for repair. Apparently a faulty tube running to the oil exchange. More details by Porsche later.
Thanks. Since this only affects the GT3, anyone have any info on how this tube is different than on other 911 models?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DareMightyThings
Thanks. Since this only affects the GT3, anyone have any info on how this tube is different than on other 911 models?
My understanding is that the GT3 has additional oil cooling capacity compared to the regular Carreras. I suspect the heat exchanger involved isn't present on the other models.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not big on rumors. or 2nd hand info, but why not joint the forum chaos.. Take it in context.. -- Just got this txt from my dealer.. --He's a great sales pro, and buddies, w/ all the mechanics, drives a porsche himself.. so I trust him more then anyone..

"I'll call you later today, it's a simple fix for an oil cooler, longer bolts"
Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who pays for the car lease if you can't drive it?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Who pays for the car lease if you can't drive it?
I suppose it varies from case to case, but years ago I financed my '99 996 and when it was in the shop for 3 weeks, Porsche picked up the tab for a month's worth of payments. I suspect they'd do something similar on a lease if the car were out of commission for an extended amount of time.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a welcome news boys. Much better than tearing engine apart. Be happy!!!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I've just received an email asking me not to drive mine and call Porsche to discuss next steps, possibly including getting it towed to the nearest dealer by Porsche.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Well at least thats an answer...so hopefully thats it.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM
GioF
Intermediate

jesus christ with some of the comments i read on different forums... some had already declared the car as crap... it is f#%$^ porsche!!! they 'll figure it out!!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Got the same email just now.

Dear xxxxx:

We are writing to you concerning reported engine problems with the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 sports car. Porsche AG, our parent company and the manufacturer of your car, has just this morning released an update and we wanted to share it personally with you. Click here to view Porsche AG’s news release.

As you will see from the news release, we are asking, until we are able to identify exactly the potential problem with the GT3, that you please not drive it. This is because Porsche AG received two reports in Europe of engine damage leading to fires in two brand new GT3 vehicles. Porsche is devoting all possible resources to investigating these incidents, so that it can determine as quickly as possible what engine modifications might be needed, if any, and on what group of cars.

We are not certain that your car is affected at all, but your satisfaction and safety are our first priority. We wish to take all possible preventative measures until Porsche’s engineers have identified any problem and we become able to either repair your car or verify that it does not have a problem. Thus, this request that, for now, you not drive your GT3.

If you wish, we will arrange for your car to be shipped to your preferred authorized Porsche dealer, where any repair that might ultimately be necessary can be made. A Porsche representative will endeavor to call you beginning almost at once to discuss this. Ideally we will speak with you later today, or as soon as convenient for you.

Our representative will endeavor to answer, or quickly obtain the answer to, any questions you may have when they call. If you would prefer to make contact with us sooner, you may call Porsche Customer Commitment at 1-800-PORSCHE, option 3.

We are committed to minimizing your inconvenience and we apologize to you. We only trust we can ask you to understand that we could not have you take any chance while we finish our investigation.

Thank you very much, and we will be in contact again very soon.

Very truly yours,

Tim Quinn
Vice President, AfterSales
Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Name:  image-3928725667.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  120.6 KB
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

[
I got the same today

QUOTE="Bluehinder;11150929"]Got the same email just now. Dear xxxxx: We are writing to you concerning reported engine problems with the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 sports car. Porsche AG, our parent company and the manufacturer of your car, has just this morning released an update and we wanted to share it personally with you. Click here to view Porsche AG’s news release. As you will see from the news release, we are asking, until we are able to identify exactly the potential problem with the GT3, that you please not drive it. This is because Porsche AG received two reports in Europe of engine damage leading to fires in two brand new GT3 vehicles. Porsche is devoting all possible resources to investigating these incidents, so that it can determine as quickly as possible what engine modifications might be needed, if any, and on what group of cars. We are not certain that your car is affected at all, but your satisfaction and safety are our first priority. We wish to take all possible preventative measures until Porsche’s engineers have identified any problem and we become able to either repair your car or verify that it does not have a problem. Thus, this request that, for now, you not drive your GT3. If you wish, we will arrange for your car to be shipped to your preferred authorized Porsche dealer, where any repair that might ultimately be necessary can be made. A Porsche representative will endeavor to call you beginning almost at once to discuss this. Ideally we will speak with you later today, or as soon as convenient for you. Our representative will endeavor to answer, or quickly obtain the answer to, any questions you may have when they call. If you would prefer to make contact with us sooner, you may call Porsche Customer Commitment at 1-800-PORSCHE, option 3. We are committed to minimizing your inconvenience and we apologize to you. We only trust we can ask you to understand that we could not have you take any chance while we finish our investigation. Thank you very much, and we will be in contact again very soon. Very truly yours, Tim Quinn Vice President, AfterSales[/QUOTE]
Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Btw I love this freaking car!! Best 911 ever produced !!! Glad I just had open heart surgery and least I know I can't drive for 2 weeks anyway!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no mention of courtesy car ..
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My understanding is that the GT3 has additional oil cooling capacity compared to the regular Carreras. I suspect the heat exchanger involved isn't present on the other models.
right there is no heat exchanger in the carrera, at least not in the same location.

Quick Reply: All GT3's recalled