Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie CL question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! 45 posts (and counting) about changing a wheel. I thought CL's were originally designed for fast changes in racing applications. Can someone remind me why Porsche came up with this contraption in the first place?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Proven race technology
Lighter weight
Differentiates from other sports cars
Looks very cool
Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Porsche wants their customers to feel like race car drivers

srsly, street version CL has different design from race version. Race version time out and needs to be replaced alot sooner. Customers will bitch about that too.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I've read all the comments and I'm still confused how to check them and or remove them. Hopefully once I get the car and view the posts again it will be clearer.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

skuplist,

1. Simply go to the Porsche dealer and ask to be trained in how to do so. They will. You can also ask that they demo a removal and install.

2. When you drive up to Dallas let me know and I will personally show you on my car or yours.

Walt
Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

"street version CL has different design from race version"

Different design, same concept

Walt
Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
Years ago I took my Datsun 280Z to the dealer to have an oil change. Following that and on the highway I started to see billowing smoke coming up around the hood. I immediately pulled over and shut down the engine. When I opened the hood I discovered the oil cap missing. I'm sure the tech knew how to do an oil change! Something he had probably done hundreds of times before. My point being there are a few thing that you can trust your tech with but MUST verify, in my opinion.

Walt
Wow. Such a similar story to the first oil change I had done on my brand new '73 Lotus Europa Special. Started the engine, and then thought, maybe I should do a quick check first. Lifted the rear deck and sure enough, the cap was left off and there was a spray of oil on the engine and exhaust manifold. Fiberglass body, Lucas electrics, could have been a disaster.

I agree. It's not a matter of whether the tech knows how to do something, but people make mistakes and it's better to be armed with info whenever possible.

Originally Posted by skuplist
I have to say I've read all the comments and I'm still confused how to check them and or remove them. Hopefully once I get the car and view the posts again it will be clearer.
I think it will be. I read all the CL post's here and on the 997 GT3 board before I got the car. All the stuff about the caps, locking pins, etc. seemed very abstract. But once you remove the caps and see the locking pin the mystery around that part disappears. It may take more work and attention to detail than before, but like anything else I suspect the rest of the process will also become less mysterious once you get your hands on it.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
All together a frightening system when you consider the mode of failure that is occurring - the tube that the CL nut screws into basically shears off when weakened by cyclic loading (which is aggravated by any wheel-hub interface movement that allows larger moments to get into this tube).
Never understood how easy people neglect that 5 > 1. CL's have turned me off from considering the more modern gt3's.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I whole heartedly agree with the assertion that the owner should be fully knowledgeable in the procedures and maintenance of the OEM centerlocks.

I trust absolutely no one. Once I was at a track day. Full arrive and drive, with a large experienced shop providing the service. To my horror, I found one of the splines of the CL was NOT properly engaged. Not once, not twice, but three times in one day! Each time I scolded them and asked them to properly train all their techs and to perform quality checks. Needless to say, that ended that relationship.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I agree it is worthy to be familiar with the process but to claim the Porsche dealership do not know what they are doing is a stretch. I do not plan to switch tires for track events. Any work done on the CL's will be done either by my dealer or someone who I believe knows what they are doing.

I am not track junkie and not handy with tools and I will leave the mechanically work done on the car with people who are trained to do it.
I'm trying to think of an analogy....but I'm speachless. It's pretty important to your safety, and very easy to do and understand. Laws and the guard rails for track safety really don't exist. You are off the reservation when you sign the waiver.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
Proven race technology
Lighter weight
Differentiates from other sports cars
Looks very cool
this CL is not race proven
it's not lighter either
looks very cool until you try to chg wheels.
it's not the same concept. i use a 18 volt or im pact wrench and power the nut onto my cup car, no prob, you cannot do that with street CL. i am way faster using five lugs with impact gun than anyone can do it on CL street version.

yes, i konw how to do it and done it zillion times, but i prefer five lugs. and all my RS's CL haev been converted to lugs. YMMV.

it's not a bad system, just not great.

not trying to beat a dead horse, but most ppl dont need explanation to put on five lugs while most ppl need explanation to do CL. that says something. and when you are in a hurry, mistake happens. in a perfect world, no problem. but at track, too cold too hot too tire too dumb too dark.... things happen. i have personally seen and be the next car in front or behind the one with flying CL.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
By the way, how can CL wheels get loose at the track? I thought the locking pin is there to prevent them from coming loose. Or did I misunderstand the design?
oh, you be amazed. i have cars CL wheel flying off from car behind me and in front of me. i am very good at dodging them now. i am not kidding. someone had a pic of CL wheel rolling toward me attacking me on track.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Sitting back and thinking the dealer's got you covered is naive. Take that attitude and when your wheel flies off on the freeway at 80, you can scream your dealers name as you careen off other cars and then the wall.

I've seen more cars f'd up by dealers than I have by people changing their own wheels. I relayed the story to Mike about seeing a brand new 997 TTS show up at a PCA gathering with all four splines disengaged. When I found the owner and explained what was wrong, he went back to the dealer and complained. The dealer tried to tell him that everything was fine. I faxed the dealer the service bulletin showing proper engagement. They had a big "oh ****" moment and changed their tune. Truly frightening.
indeed. not all of them do it right.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
this CL is not race proven
it's not lighter either
looks very cool until you try to chg wheels.
it's not the same concept. i use a 18 volt or im pact wrench and power the nut onto my cup car, no prob, you cannot do that with street CL. i am way faster using five lugs with impact gun than anyone can do it on CL street version.

yes, i konw how to do it and done it zillion times, but i prefer five lugs. and all my RS's CL haev been converted to lugs. YMMV.

It's an inferior solution to a problem that didn't need solving again

But it theoretically sells cars to the people who listen to the marketers.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

That's a good way to sum it up. A lot of these CL's have done a lot of hard track miles with no problems. It's a take care of them they take care of you kind of thing. But they are definitely more tedious than 5 lugs.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:05 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ right on.

Quick Reply: Newbie CL question