Sponsored by:

Question for Owners: Neutral in the GT3 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 PM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Question for Owners: Neutral in the GT3 PDK

A question for owners. I've read that you can select neutral by pulling both gear levers simultaneously. In the Ferrari 458, when both paddles are pulled, the gear indicator on the dash shown "N" and it stays in neutral when the paddles are subsequently released. (This is a great way to coast to a light, so the car doesn't surge through the gears as it downshifts). As soon as a paddle is pulled again, the computer matches engine speed and selects the gear automatically.

How does it work on the new GT3 PDK?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not like that. Both paddles pulled simulate a clutch kick... Which is much cooler.
Btw, don't have mine yet but this is what I read and understand.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

When you pull both paddles, the indicator for whatever gear you are in flashes, and the gearbox goes into neutral. When you let go of the paddles the clutch re-engages in that gear. This works in either manual or auto mode and in every gear except reverse.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Mike,

What would happen if you held the paddles in and came to a stop. Would the car select first gear?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by W. MITTY
Mike,

What would happen if you held the paddles in and came to a stop. Would the car select first gear?
I haven't actually tried that yet, but my guess is yes. I'll let you know.....

Edit: The answer is yes. If you pull back both paddles, the gearbox goes into neutral and the gear you are in begins flashing. As road speed drops, the gearbox selects the next lowest gear in succession, but the gearbox remains in neutral, and the new gear number flashes in the display. If you coast all the way to a stop, 1st gear is selected, flashes in the display, and the gearbox stays in neutral until the paddles are released. Pretty cool, actually.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-27-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 PM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Thanks for the reply.

I have a new SLS Black Series, and while I love the DCT in that car, I do wish I could select neutral. I guess Mercedes doesn't want to give me that freedom.

The 991 GT3 sounds super impressive. I was lucky to own a GT3RS and it was magnificent. While I have been mourning the loss of the manual in the GT3, I am at least happy to hear that it is fast to respond to paddle input and that neutral is available.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I haven't actually tried that yet, but my guess is yes. I'll let you know.....

Edit: The answer is yes. If you pull back both paddles, the gearbox goes into neutral and the gear you are in begins flashing. As road speed drops, the gearbox selects the next lowest gear in succession, but the gearbox remains in neutral, and the new gear number flashes in the display. If you coast all the way to a stop, 1st gear is selected, flashes in the display, and the gearbox stays in neutral until the paddles are released. Pretty cool, actually.....
Thanks Mike for checking this out. I only pulled the paddles in a few times to see what happened but didnt explore it beyond that figuring Ill give it a go when on home turf or at the track. I can see some fun applications as long as plenty of run off is at hand!

Quick Reply: Question for Owners: Neutral in the GT3 PDK