Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-Stupid question: spoiler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Semi-Stupid question: spoiler delete?

Nearly have the wife onboard to upgrade from her 997 T4S to a GT3 in a year or so, but her big sticking point is the ostentatiousness of the wing.

The concern is that it would be her daily, and as a lawyer who sometimes drives to or with her clients a little more subtlety could be nice.

She is no slouch as a driver, not a badge fiend but a fan and ambassador of the brand.

We certainly understand the complex engineering involved in the design and styling, but are wondering: would it be possible to switch the decklid to a plain one (or perhaps something like the non-cup aerokit ducktail one) without negative (or suicidal! ) impact to the handling? I mean in day to day/highway driving and not 10/10ths spirited/track driving (when we would swap back to the wing).

I know it's a long shot and figure we'll most likely leave as is and she can just take our shared Cayenne when she needs more discretion, but wanted to hear any thoughts on the matter.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the trunk lid / wing is a one piece design with this generation GT3 and includes air scoop. Not sure if those other designs would provide the airflow that you would lose by attempting to swap this out.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an integrated unit with specific air flow intake designed for engine cooling and adequate air volume for the combustion chamber.

This is likely to get some pretty negative reactions from this forum, so I suggest you go back to the kid's table Just kidding.

Anyway, it would not be advisable in any way, shape or form. You might find a metal bender capable of making this happen, but I'd personally rather have a new wife than cut the wing off my GT3.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:50 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
It's an integrated unit with specific air flow intake designed for engine cooling and adequate air volume for the combustion chamber.
Thanks Ken & 0Q991. The air scoop difference is something I hadn't realized/considered. That almost certainly is the killing blow.

This is likely to get some pretty negative reactions from this forum, so I suggest you go back to the kid's table Just kidding.
Haha! Since we have a 76, a 997 and a Cayenne I'm used to negative reactions from some faction of this forum depending on the time of day

I'd personally rather have a new wife than cut the wing off my GT3.
LOL. Thanks for this, we got a good laugh.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just speakin' the truth. Cheers
Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Honestly, I don't care for the wing on the GT3 either. I either want full racecar or something a little more subtle...and I think the RS ducktail with the GT3 rear valence/center exit exhaust pipes would be a seriously hot looking car...I won't ever do it, but doesn't mean I wont voice my .02!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

adolescent wings are part of the GT3 package. We all know the unwanted attention they command.
As much as we would not like to see them at times, they do come in handy at speed.

Id say you are going to have to get her a test drive in the car back to back with a carrera...
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Nearly have the wife onboard to upgrade from her 997 T4S to a GT3 in a year or so, but her big sticking point is the ostentatiousness of the wing.

The concern is that it would be her daily, and as a lawyer who sometimes drives to or with her clients a little more subtlety could be nice.

She is no slouch as a driver, not a badge fiend but a fan and ambassador of the brand.

We certainly understand the complex engineering involved in the design and styling, but are wondering: would it be possible to switch the decklid to a plain one (or perhaps something like the non-cup aerokit ducktail one) without negative (or suicidal! ) impact to the handling? I mean in day to day/highway driving and not 10/10ths spirited/track driving (when we would swap back to the wing).

I know it's a long shot and figure we'll most likely leave as is and she can just take our shared Cayenne when she needs more discretion, but wanted to hear any thoughts on the matter.
It cant really be done for all the reasons mentioned by others ... the whole assembly is just an integral part of the engine compartment, in particular the intake, fan and adaptation to the airbox... previous owners have tried this on earlier models with limited success (i.e failure and expense) with the new model its even harder to succeed than before.

If the cosmetic issue is an showstopper, then the GT3 is not the car for you or your wife, go order a 991S instead with a powerkit and the appropriate aero pkg (or not)... just my $0.02.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
I believe the trunk lid / wing is a one piece design with this generation GT3 and includes air scoop. Not sure if those other designs would provide the airflow that you would lose by attempting to swap this out.
The wing is detachable, but it would leave the uprights which are one-piece with the rest of the decklid; which underneath has fans etc and 'mates' with the GT3 airbox, so another model decklid is unlikely to work...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Nearly have the wife onboard to upgrade from her 997 T4S to a GT3 in a year or so, but her big sticking point is the ostentatiousness of the wing....would it be possible to switch the decklid to a plain one?...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

gt3 has no wing
u are confused
I used it as diaper changing table.
wife loves it.
not many hubby can chg diaper as fast as I can! it's all in the wing.
I did drop the kids afew times? but it's all good? both still alive.

sell it this way. no prob
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Just rent a car for the day if she knows she will be entertaining clients.

During a trial I arranged to have the jury taken to the site of an accident and rather than drive my upper end car to the site and give the "wrong impression", I rented a plain vanilla car.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:30 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blow Torch it off. In real live it looks pretty civil compared to the 997. Should be fine. Your going to get attention anyway you go. Roll with it. You have a bad axe car and thats just the way it is.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im not a big fan of wings on 911s (not old enough?). I understand your delimma. I looked at the assembly on my GT3 very carefully and I believe the whole assembly could be removed, the arms cut off and a "RS ducktail" spoiler grafted on teh lower portion keeping the factor ram air design in place. However, I would imagine the ducktail may affect the handling at speed (probably nit till above 230kmph or so so maybe no big deal unless on a race track straight). It could be done, but as above was said its more subtle than it looks in the pictures and especially on white I eventually grew used to it.....
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Blow Torch it off. In real live it looks pretty civil compared to the 997. Should be fine. Your going to get attention anyway you go. Roll with it. You have a bad axe car and thats just the way it is.

I was shocked at how civil it looked in person... it matched the lines of the car way better than any pictures I've seen. I went from being worried about the spoiler to embracing the spoiler.

Quick Reply: Semi-Stupid question: spoiler delete?