Reduced engine performance problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Sound like great reliable track cars.
Well at least a message on the screen is no where near as bad as spewing coolant.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Sam – sorry to hear you’re having more issues with the car, but HOW ABOUT THE TRACK??? Were you on a fresh set of Cup 2’s? How was the handling, and is tire wear looking better with the new setup?
I included some info in this earlier thread someone started.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t-sebring.html
Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sam, do you know how may sensors there are? Based on your post I gather there are four and two of them have failed. Is Porsche pushing back on replacing the failed ones or you want them to also replaced the other two which have not failed?
Yes, four. Two at the intake side and two at the exhaust side. When Porsche opens on Tuesday, my mechanic will request clearance to replace all three (one already replaced).
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by est8esq
Thanks for the gouge. I'm now absolutely convinced it's the cam sensor.

The good news based on my first go around, I was told these sensors are NOT specific to the GT3 and are the same part number as older 997.

I'm going to demand my dealer replaces the other side before next weekend's event.
You are right, they are not specific. I had the same idea and asked for older sensors. Unfortunatey, the new sensors supersede the older ones so even if a 997 has a failure, they will get the new part as the old ones are no longer available. My mechanic told me those never failed before and since my TTS had the new ones, I am actually relieved and feel confident it is a bad batch. Annoyed but not worried.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sam – sorry to hear you’re having more issues with the car, but HOW ABOUT THE TRACK??? Were you on a fresh set of Cup 2’s? How was the handling, and is tire wear looking better with the new setup?
Still on the same set and the new setup worked great. The car will still understeer but much less so than before and the rear is a little looser. In areas of the track that I typically understeered if I gave it gas, I can now steer with the rears instead. I do sacrifice a little breaking ability with -3.1 negative camber but the tires are wearing close to even so I'm not going to remove any, not for now at least. If I succeeded this time, I should have a video to post later.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sound like great reliable track cars.
Well, I am yet to be lapped by a 997 RS

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Well at least a message on the screen is no where near as bad as spewing coolant.
Right. This issue will be resolved soon.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Still on the same set and the new setup worked great. The car will still understeer but much less so than before and the rear is a little looser. In areas of the track that I typically understeered if I gave it gas, I can now steer with the rears instead. I do sacrifice a little breaking ability with -3.1 negative camber but the tires are wearing close to even so I'm not going to remove any, not for now at least. If I succeeded this time, I should have a video to post later.
That’s good to hear. And -2.5 rear? And do you think you will get 3-4 full track days from a set of these tires with your new setup?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 218 Posts

[QUOTE=SamFromTX;11063401]Well, I am yet to be lapped by a 997 RS

Sam, I think you misunderstood my comment. That is the second time you have mentioned that to me. First, at the track, and now on RL. Even though you playfully say this, there is some condescending flavor to it. I did not say the 997 RS is faster. I have been driving the hell out of my RS over the last 2 years at way more tracks than just MSR. Not one issue of "reduced performance" has come up. Not one. The only reduced performance is me. There is something to be said about being able to go to >30 track days a year all around the country and know your track day won't be ruined by car mechanical/electrical failures. Also, I'm not a professional race car driver, I have another job. Sure, I can buy the latest and greatest everytime it comes out and say I am the fastest at one track (with professional coaching), but that's not what it's all about for me. I don't want to beat this to death, but driving my RS gives me enjoyment and it's a hobby I think I'm pretty good at. The best thing you've done is hire a coach and that is something I should do at some point to better my skills. But let's face it, if you want to go around saying you are the fastest and asking DE organizers (Driver's Edge - December 2013) why the track is not green right away (instead of yellow on the first 1/2 lap) so you can pass on first lap, you need to realize the way you are coming across to the rest of the DFW DE community. I'm just vocalizing what others in DFW have said to me. Keep in mind, that at your speeds (you are pretty quick), you need to have safety in mind. Your car has luxury seats with no harness. You have no roll cage. You do not wear a HANS. You drive to and from the track.
Your threads on tracking the 991 GT3 have been very informative. You put a lot of time and effort to maximize your performance and your cars performance. We learn a lot about the 991 GT3 with your experiences. I've only met you a couple of times and you seem like a reasonable guy, but try and be a little more humble/modest. That is the only message I and others around here can give to you. Your comments in large groups and at the track don't reflect well on you, but who am I to judge. I look forward to seeing you at several tracks around here and I hope this post doesn't sour you. This hobby/sport is competitive and I can see where you are coming from and how people can take you the wrong way. I'm just voicing it (for better or for worse).
Once all the bugs have been worked out, I'm sure the 991 GT3 will be more reliable. Until then, I'll be driving my old, slow RS.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Your are very correct. Can't argue with you there.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

[QUOTE=kyrocks;11063715]
Well, I am yet to be lapped by a 997 RS

Sam, I think you misunderstood my comment. That is the second time you have mentioned that to me. First, at the track, and now on RL. Even though you playfully say this, there is some condescending flavor to it. I did not say the 997 RS is faster. I have been driving the hell out of my RS over the last 2 years at way more tracks than just MSR. Not one issue of "reduced performance" has come up. Not one. The only reduced performance is me. There is something to be said about being able to go to >30 track days a year all around the country and know your track day won't be ruined by car mechanical/electrical failures. Also, I'm not a professional race car driver, I have another job. Sure, I can buy the latest and greatest everytime it comes out and say I am the fastest at one track (with professional coaching), but that's not what it's all about for me. I don't want to beat this to death, but driving my RS gives me enjoyment and it's a hobby I think I'm pretty good at. The best thing you've done is hire a coach and that is something I should do at some point to better my skills. But let's face it, if you want to go around saying you are the fastest and asking DE organizers (Driver's Edge - December 2013) why the track is not green right away (instead of yellow on the first 1/2 lap) so you can pass on first lap, you need to realize the way you are coming across to the rest of the DFW DE community. I'm just vocalizing what others in DFW have said to me. Keep in mind, that at your speeds (you are pretty quick), you need to have safety in mind. Your car has luxury seats with no harness. You have no roll cage. You do not wear a HANS. You drive to and from the track.
Your threads on tracking the 991 GT3 have been very informative. You put a lot of time and effort to maximize your performance and your cars performance. We learn a lot about the 991 GT3 with your experiences. I've only met you a couple of times and you seem like a reasonable guy, but try and be a little more humble/modest. That is the only message I and others around here can give to you. Your comments in large groups and at the track don't reflect well on you, but who am I to judge. I look forward to seeing you at several tracks around here and I hope this post doesn't sour you. This hobby/sport is competitive and I can see where you are coming from and how people can take you the wrong way. I'm just voicing it (for better or for worse).
Once all the bugs have been worked out, I'm sure the 991 GT3 will be more reliable. Until then, I'll be driving my old, slow RS.
KY,

First, let me start by apologizing if I came along as condescending or arrogant as it was never my intention. You are correct, this is only one of two tracks I go to and it is easier for most to get fast if they run one track over and over. Without a doubt, if and when I go to a new track, I will be much slower than most because of that fact alone. This comment was playful and not directed at you or anyone (hence the smiley face but I hate the internet sometimes because misconceptions/misunderstandings are easy). I don't want to sound defensive and I appreciate you pointing those issues to me but the particular comment about starting with the track green had a purpose, which may sound silly to you. If you recall, the driver of the yellow Corvette (almost to race spec) kept putting Porsches down, saying they drive themselves, etc. Since he runs Hoosiers and I ran street tires, I knew I had a chance of running away from him until his tires grip.

As you know, each new generation of most cars is faster than the one before and to brag about that would be silly. Obviously, I came along that way and I'm sorry.

Sam
Old 01-19-2014, 01:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

That’s good to hear. And -2.5 rear? And do you think you will get 3-4 full track days from a set of these tires with your new setup?
Correct on the camber. I think two full track days and one with less sticky tread. I don't know how will they hold up when the temps rise, though. Most of my runs have been between 40-65 degree weather. Considering the expense of running SC2 (price + more frequent replacement), I am tempted to put PSS in the summer.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=SamFromTX;11063905]

KY,

First, let me start by apologizing if I came along as condescending or arrogant as it was never my intention. You are correct, this is only one of two tracks I go to and it is easier for most to get fast if they run one track over and over. Without a doubt, if and when I go to a new track, I will be much slower than most because of that fact alone. This comment was playful and not directed at you or anyone (hence the smiley face but I hate the internet sometimes because misconceptions/misunderstandings are easy). I don't want to sound defensive and I appreciate you pointing those issues to me but the particular comment about starting with the track green had a purpose, which may sound silly to you. If you recall, the driver of the yellow Corvette (almost to race spec) kept putting Porsches down, saying they drive themselves, etc. Since he runs Hoosiers and I ran street tires, I knew I had a chance of running away from him until his tires grip.

As you know, each new generation of most cars is faster than the one before and to brag about that would be silly. Obviously, I came along that way and I'm sorry.

Sam
Sam,

No problem. It's cool. Everyone has different opinions. The bottom line is we all love these cars! Keep up the good work. I actually apologize for posting "at the heat of the moment." I should have calmed down before I posted and just talked to you personally. Sorry. You are right, things get misinterpreted.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Kyriacos
Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

[QUOTE=kyrocks;11064027]

Sam,

No problem. It's cool. Everyone has different opinions. The bottom line is we all love these cars! Keep up the good work. I actually apologize for posting "at the heat of the moment." I should have calmed down before I posted and just talked to you personally. Sorry. You are right, things get misinterpreted.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Kyriacos
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@SamfromTX -- Thanks for all the detailed impressions. Will be interesting to see how the PSS hold up if you do try them out. As an all-around tire, it really provides a lot of flexibility in use.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@SamfromTX -- Thanks for all the detailed impressions. Will be interesting to see how the PSS hold up if you do try them out. As an all-around tire, it really provides a lot of flexibility in use.
I think the results will be similar to those with 991 C2S, which seems to be a mixed bag - very good for street tire, but with drawbacks of very soft sidewals and very tough compound on the inside of the tire, making braking rather unstable and longish. I tried a set of PSS on track in an M3, and they lasted at least 2/3 of the time Yokohama AD08 would last, which are probably the best $/mile for track longevity, and would probably lose up to 0.5-1 second per minute a lap to Yokos, mostly on braking and turn-in speed. They also squeal loudly way before optimal sleep angle, which makes driving them close to the limit a bit annoying.

So it's a viable option, and probably a good one for those who do 3/4 of driving on the street. Any more than that, and I feel the compromise becomes too much.

Quick Reply: Reduced engine performance problem