Sponsored by:

Cars are on US soil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drifting
I understand that this was at legal speeds. But it still depresses me a bit to hear it. Chris Harris and also the folks at EVO described both the steering and PDK of the GT3 as miles ahead of the standard 991.

Will be interested to hear your report after driving the GT3 in anger
I said the paddles didn't seem that much different, not the PDK. The pull on the paddles is a little heavier and possibly shorter but it doesn't make that much difference to me. The PDK is different. Clutch engagement is entirely new and low speed gear changes feel more abrupt. Upper changes are so fast that they are virtually seamless, almost like a CVT. I will be interested to see how it feels when pushed.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
But have you optioned for Porsche auto-dimming. My point was that auto-dimming doesn't work that well in my 3 yr old porsche, so I'm not going to pay for it in the GT3.

If it works well like in your BMW, then I would pay for it too.
Maybe our perception of "works well" differs, but I was satisfied with dimming in my '09 997.2 and my '11 Cayenne.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:06 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Out in CA.

that is porsche motorsport north america across the street.....
Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Red looks HOT Mike. You be thrilled specially with the massive PCCB rotors. Just plane awesome. We should all line up our cars next summer and take a picture similar to the one thats Peter posted and then head up to Tahoe
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverrules
Red looks HOT Mike. You be thrilled specially with the massive PCCB rotors. Just plane awesome. We should all line up our cars next summer and take a picture similar to the one thats Peter posted and then head up to Tahoe
Sounds like a great plan, silverrules.....even though we may need to find a few more owners to make it look as impressive as Peter's shot....
Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I added the $800 dimmer on my last change order. I have it on my 0.2 and my car is tinted but still when a truck comes behind me at the traffic light it's not pleasant specially with GT3 as it sits really low to GND. Just imagine not having the dimmer. Biggest rip off, should complain on the car survey. Should come STD on a $150K car.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the red. Makes me feel like I'm in the 80's listening to Duran Duran. --All kidding aside , it looks awesome. I had an Imola Red M5 in 2000 and loved it. Not a snow ball's chance I'd ever imagine getting a white car several years ago and here goes. The good thing about this type of car is you get a pass no matter what color you get, and the important thing is you like it. Now if and just get this car, before I loose all patients and go get a Turbo.. -I just wished i had the ***** to go PTS Mexico Blue.. Maybe next time..
Old 12-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered the dimmer and rain sensor package. It should have been free IMO as it is on Toyota's half the price.

Dimmer works well at night and in tunnels (of which there are 100s in Europe!). Rain sensor we tested yesterday and it seems to work well also especially constantly in and out of tunnels.

I find for fast driving especially when you have your hands full (race track or autocahn etc) its great to have the wipers do their thing on auto....
Old 12-21-2013, 09:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I ordered the dimmer and rain sensor package. It should have been free IMO as it is on Toyota's half the price.

Dimmer works well at night and in tunnels (of which there are 100s in Europe!). Rain sensor we tested yesterday and it seems to work well also especially constantly in and out of tunnels.

I find for fast driving especially when you have your hands full (race track or autocahn etc) its great to have the wipers do their thing on auto....
I don't know how long Porsche is going to get away with charging for options that cost more than a new Kia and Hyundai charges for an entire car that has 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Even Mercedes gives you about $50k in Porsche options n/c.. In their v8 models and those V8's have more or similar HP and a lot more TQ.

I just think that a lot of sports car buyers would be turned off by basics that are std on their daughter or nannies driver and have not done without for 10 years.. I'm talking a decent radio, nav, auto dimming, full leather, I mean not getting those options will disappoint these people every time they get in the Car to drive around town..

Specially considering that a good percentage of the 991GT3 buyer may be a different buyer than previous 997GT3 buyers.

This brings me back to repeating myself that I am very interested in watching if MB AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, Astons, maseratis will grab Porsches market share for the top level performers. Related to buyers who never drove a Porsche to the track, never had an air cooled 911, etc..
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Ok boyz. Time to get up. We got work to do. Let's take a load of Macca and get some US videos posted ASAP... Lol
Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
-I just wished i had the ***** to go PTS Mexico Blue.. Maybe next time..
+1

----------------------

I added dimmer last minute just so I could get the rain sensor. Never been a big fan of dimmer as I prefer to switch the mirror manually
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't know how long Porsche is going to get away with charging for options that cost more than a new Kia and Hyundai charges for an entire car that has 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Even Mercedes gives you about $50k in Porsche options n/c.. In their v8 models and those V8's have more or similar HP and a lot more TQ.

I just think that a lot of sports car buyers would be turned off by basics that are std on their daughter or nannies driver and have not done without for 10 years.. I'm talking a decent radio, nav, auto dimming, full leather, I mean not getting those options will disappoint these people every time they get in the Car to drive around town..

Specially considering that a good percentage of the 991GT3 buyer may be a different buyer than previous 997GT3 buyers.

This brings me back to repeating myself that I am very interested in watching if MB AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, Astons, maseratis will grab Porsches market share for the top level performers. Related to buyers who never drove a Porsche to the track, never had an air cooled 911, etc..
^^^+991

Especially for 991S I think its rude things like basic leather and rain sensor/dipping mirror are not included in this day and age. How much does i cost Porsche to add these really - maybe $100 for mirror/rain sensor and $450 for partial leather. They should just just jack the price up a bit and load them.

As for 911s competition, I think the day is rapidly upon us (especially if Euro 6 emissions are going to lead to a turbo charged base range and a hybrid GT3 style product in the next 3-4 years) where Porsche will start to loose the significant position they had in this market segment. The older cars will saw in price as a result and in the not distant future we done a pair of goggles, log onto googlemaps 3D for racers and drive virtual roads around the world without leaving home!
Old 12-21-2013, 03:50 PM
GT3Toronto
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Drifting. Rain sensor never worked very well in my 997 so I'm passing on my gt3
Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the dimming function actually do?
Old 12-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by skuplist
What does the dimming function actually do?
When sensors detect a glare from headlights, the rear view and side mirrors darken automatically so the reflected light is much less and doesn't blind you. It can be turned on or off with a button on the rear view mirror. The feature uses a low voltage power source and pieces of specially coated glass with a conductive gel in between the layers.

Quick Reply: Cars are on US soil