Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Real World Owners Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First Real World Owners Feedback?

This was posted today on a European board. Owner took delivery beginning of the week and has only driven 150km so far (weather has been bitter this week in Luxembourg) but it is a good start with some surprise feedback. Owner is an experienced performance car owner & driver....

"Honestly guys, I've driven quite a few fast cars and am racing in historics. From the little (+/-150km) I've driven the 991 GT3 I really have to say the car has a perfect balance between useability and rawness. It's a real pussycat in auto with standard damper settings (much more resolved and refined than my GTR), the PDK in auto (not sport) shifts like a real Auto 'box. BUT if you go manual and give it the beans it is a REAL drivers car, it is tricky to drive it fast, very rewarding.

I didn't imagine it would be as involving as it is, if you push you need to stay VERY concentrated otherwise it might catch you out. Feels more like a 964 RS than a modern car. It's very involving. I know it sounds cheesy but Preuninger hit it on the head when he talked about emotional, it is! It is not really going to make it easier for track newbies than previous generations of the GT3, you STILL have to know how to drive fast!

To be honest with you I really do not like Porsche's and always swore I'd never buy one but I don't regret buying this car a single second, it is exactly what I was looking for.

To sum up I would say, if you want a fast or the fastest thing, which is going to let driver errors pass and make you feel like a driving god, buy a McLaren or an Italia or best a GTR. If you feel you are a good driver and really are the GT3 will make you feel like the Zeus of all driving gods (and look good doing so)"
Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ good to hear...
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the post Macca. My build date is February now so it looks like I must live vicariously through you until May...ENJOY!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for posting – that’s a bit of a different opinion from what we’ve been hearing. Looking forward to your review soon, Macca!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Thanks for reaffirming why I chose a GT3. Can't wait.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Refreshing, he didn't mention color or stitching.

Makes me even more anxious to get behind the wheel of a 991 GT3!

Ryan
Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Does he say what tires he's on? It's just above freezing there, and if he's on the standard tires I imagine that's contributing to the car being tricky. I've got Sport Maxx Race on my daily, and I can tell you they get abrupt when it gets cold.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Does he say what tires he's on? It's just above freezing there, and if he's on the standard tires I imagine that's contributing to the car being tricky. I've got Sport Maxx Race on my daily, and I can tell you they get abrupt when it gets cold.
He is putting winter tires on it this Saturday. Apparently, Porsche has certified certain winter tires for the GT3.

BTW, his car is white.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Thanks Macca!

That review simultaneously helped confirm my choice that the GT3 will be a great drivers car and also will make the next 4 months torture as I wait for mine to arrive!
Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here are some more driving impressions from the first UK drivers today. Most people just picked up their cars. On the German forums most mileage around 150km forst day but many intending to pile on some Kms over he weekend and report back.

"Yep hatfield, first one they got, 1 of 3 this year. Yep illuminated sills, had the on my turbo s and really liked them. Small touch but makes u smile. As for the car itself the engine has loads of character, feels a bit uneven on idle, so has that race car feel. Not really had a proper chance to play, but so far really impressed. Perfect balance between hardcore and usability. Btw the engine sounds awesome esp with sports exhaust switched on, very raw. Looking forward to testing it out at 9 k rpm!"

This from our man in Monaco on summer tyres. He went for a drive today behind Vence (D@ great scenic route!). LOvely day over there but still cold....these are the roads I want to drive in 10 days time. Hes a multiple Ferrari owner (F40 etc). Pictures below...

"The car was fantastic as you can imagine. I am quite happy with paddles. The shifts are super fast. The performance is extremely good and although I will run the car in I would have struggled to get it up to 9,000rpm today with the space I had. At 7,000rpm the car is pulling very very hard and making a wild noise. road comfort and ride is just right for me. I am a very happy and very lucky man!!!"

Heres a comment for a guy just went with a mate to pick up his rd UK car (he has one on order)...

"Just been out in a friends of mines, the red Cardiff one....absolutely sublime.

Chattery enough to let you no it's not a cooking 991...so responsive, so quick. Hugely impressed.

I'll let him tell you..."

Also a few extra photos of UK pick ups today including one white with black wheels and illuminated sill logo and another in red with standard headlights. The black car in Monaco has PDLS headlights FYI.

Everyone is saying the car looks MUCH better in the flesh especially in the white. Hard to imagine! Looks good enough in the pics!
Attached Images      
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

These are the moments when I take a step back in wonderment at the Internet age. How amazing that a group of enthusiasts from all over the world with a tight common interest can share so quickly their excitement with others? What a treat to be able to partake in this global conversation. Silly and passé' for me to notice, but sometimes you have to just sit back and smell the roses. Thanksgiving day, not taking anything for granted..

Ps; red needs black headlights, white with black wheels and pccb is hardcore.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^^

Mate you are so right. We bitch about stitching and the color of PCCB calipers but we live in an age where knowledge can flow so instantly and technology makes us faster and safer whilst also being fun (if so engineered). Most of all we are alive, well and lucky enough to potentially own such amazing vehicles when many in this world are not so lucky.

When I reflect on the last 9 months on this board and think about the fragility of life and how lucky we are to simply have such wonderful opportunities I just think how petty we (me included) have become on some of these threads.

Two seconds after I posted the above photographs this morning (here) I received a call from my wife who had just left for work - she was first at a bke v car accident scene of a good friend whom I was taking exerise with only 48 hrs ago (young guy full of life). I have just returned from the accident scene and unfortunately its not good at all. Watching you mate on a stretcher struggling to hang on to life when you are about to board an aircraft in 72 to pick up the car of your dreams brings home the reality that its just all so damn short and potentially fragile. We bitch and moan and tease and complain about stuff that is just meaningless.

This email is for my mate Ory. The next 48 hours are critical for him. We live in a land with no real hospitals (Vanuatu - Island in the pacific) so right now our medics are trying to stabilize him and we have ordered a medivac jet from Noumea (New Caledonia) to get here in the next 1.5 hrs and get him over there for stabilization and surgery. In the meantime we pray he will be ok.

Whatever you are doing today in a spare a moment think about those who are important to you and tell at least one of them as much. Those who know me the last 12 years on here know Im not prone to silly "soft" words like these but right now the way I feel it brings home yet again for me that a GT3 is not so important. Id give it back before I got t of it meant the difference in outcome for my mate....
Old 11-28-2013, 07:03 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ +1. Wishing the best for your friend. It's Thanksgiving in the States today--we certainly have so much more to be thankful for than we usually remember to enumerate.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 PM
lamarmotte
Intermediate

Cold start smoke, not normal

Old 11-28-2013, 07:16 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Prototype car from the Spring time, on the show circuit.

Quick Reply: First Real World Owners Feedback?