Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updates on my build

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The LEDs should have a black option. Damn them....

Just left the LA auto show. The Gt3 is dead sexy.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Racin

Awesome! I'm going Turkey day in early AM. Been waiting a year to see in person. Had a ticket from Chi-NY for the show last year, but got to busy w/ work the night before and missed the flight..
Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Road Racin

I just hope the LED's are at least grey like they are on the Configurator, vs. the chrome I saw on a LIVE Turbo-S at a dealer in CHI.. -- Can you imagine seeing those LED RINGS in your REAR-VIEW rapidly approaching from an on ramp on the 405...then being passed as it does a 100ms pdk shift onto the younder.. You'll be in long beach before you figure out what it was. LOL --keep your eyes on the road..
Old 11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
I just hope the LED's are at least grey like they are on the Configurator, vs. the chrome I saw on a LIVE Turbo-S at a dealer in CHI.. -- Can you imagine seeing those LED RINGS in your REAR-VIEW rapidly approaching from an on ramp on the 405...then being passed as it does a 100ms pdk shift onto the younder.. You'll be in long beach before you figure out what it was. LOL --keep your eyes on the road..
I had to inform you that the LED headlights for the 991 GT3 are identical units to the 991 TTS. I had these on my order (now in production) for 9 months until I finally got to see them in the flesh. The original Porsche press pictures of the white GT2 with LED at the race track (also on their brochure) is heavily photoshopped). Unfortunately in real life the LED headlights are all chrome and look rather cheap. You need to go for the Xenon PDLS which has a darker grey outside rim and a matt silver inside bucket so it s looks less glitzy and cheap than the standard lights or LED and also gives the car back its face instead of those long cylinder LED tubs which make the nose of the car look long and detract from is look IMO.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I had to inform you that the LED headlights for the 991 GT3 are identical units to the 991 TTS. I had these on my order (now in production) for 9 months until I finally got to see them in the flesh. The original Porsche press pictures of the white GT2 with LED at the race track (also on their brochure) is heavily photoshopped). Unfortunately in real life the LED headlights are all chrome and look rather cheap. You need to go for the Xenon PDLS which has a darker grey outside rim and a matt silver inside bucket so it s looks less glitzy and cheap than the standard lights or LED and also gives the car back its face instead of those long cylinder LED tubs which make the nose of the car look long and detract from is look IMO.
Ok... Thx for the details.. Too late now. LOL. But I'm sure I'll love them anyways... I just had to have that LED outer ring regardless..
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No worries. Im sure youll be happy with them. I managed to change my order 30 days before production (just).
Old 11-23-2013, 09:30 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

I just zoomed in on the picts of the live TTS w/ the LED's and compared to the configurator.. I think I got it now..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xv9yozosmy5qn72/WM5MLaCd17

They break the light in to 3 parts.. as per the Bi-Xenon-PDLS.png --
1. Inner Trim
2. Tubes (suspect the actual low, and high beam tubes)
3. Border
They are all black on the Bi-Xenon-PDLS.

-For LED-PDLS-PLUS.png then they are all Grey on the Configuator

-Then, in actal realityyyyyy.... ... on the actual Live TTS aa-led-looks-grey.png -- They are all grey except the tubes. which are chrome. Thats much better then all chrome.

--Hmm. I'm planning on powder coating the wheels Matte Black for a white car (not sure why P offered Gloss Black wheels?)-- wonder it they could do the tubes while they at it. Who knows..

btw - wonder what the break in period is on these cars.. Hope its short..
Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree. The configuration has been wrong since the get go. The photos were shopped. A friend of mine was in Stuttgart three weeks back and took some pictures of the GT3 in a the holding pen. he confirmed from a distance of a few meters it appears that the entire inner assembly is silver and chrome. The Xenon PDL has a grey interior like on the below two...the LEDs look fine - would look better if the tubes were matt silver however as the chrome looks a bit cheap. They do however change the face of the car. Below are some pictures of the lights on their own - Im sure you can buy them separate like this ebay advert later if you wanted..
Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Does anyone know if the GT3 will be at SF auto show on 28th?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I...the LEDs look fine - would look better if the tubes were matt silver however as the chrome looks a bit cheap. They do however change the face of the car. Below are some pictures of the lights on their own - Im sure you can buy them separate like this ebay advert later if you wanted..
Ahhh. Now I see how it changes the character or even persona of the car. Especially when shown next to the circa 1970 cars.. and white speedster or 356 I ( I think)-- The Dual Tubes pronounce the Slant and make it look more elongated.. Yes, I think if they were Matte, or grey, they wouldn't stand out so much. .LIKE in the CONFIGURATOR.. -- Good catch
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Ahhh. Now I see how it changes the character or even persona of the car. Especially when shown next to the circa 1970 cars.. and white speedster or 356 I ( I think)-- The Dual Tubes pronounce the Slant and make it look more elongated.. Yes, I think if they were Matte, or grey, they wouldn't stand out so much. .LIKE in the CONFIGURATOR.. -- Good catch
Yes. You are exactly correct. It was more obvious apparently in "the flesh" with the GT3 my friend saw at Stuttgart as the GT is narrower than teh 991 TTS. Also the configurator was misleading as it shows the picture below where there is now clear light to show how reflective those tubes are. I think if they were painted matt grey they would look much nicer...
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^P.S. The picture above is of Bi-Xenon PDLS, Black PDLS & LED PDLS PLus

They need to get away from chrome plastic, use real billet alloy housings brushed or pain the internals matt grey IMHO
Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

macca, u have serious porsche connections!

thanks for these and other Gt3 photos. Do u have any photos of a GT3 in guards red, outside in sunlight?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
macca, u have serious porsche connections!

thanks for these and other Gt3 photos. Do u have any photos of a GT3 in guards red, outside in sunlight?
Lots of Red in this link:

http://stuttcars.com/porsche-models/911/991/gt3/
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
thanks for the link, but it's all CGI, not real cars in real light

Quick Reply: Updates on my build