Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting result, and something of an outlier in comparison to literally every other test and review we've seen. The fact that there was an ECU problem adds to the mystery. This is also the first time I've read of any issues about the car being difficult or unpredictable to drive at the limit. Everyone else has been saying pretty much the opposite, to the point where some people have been concerned that the car will be too easy to drive. Curious....
Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

All the other tests and journalists are obviously golfing buddies with AP.

Joking aside, let's not discount all the other tests to date and let's keep in mind (as others have already mentioned) that there were issues with the test vehicle.

What's changed? The car is still basically on par with the pinnacle of the precious generation RS models and (yes) is a very different driving experience (for all the reasons that have been thoroughly flogged here on RL).
Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting result, and something of an outlier in comparison to literally every other test and review we've seen. The fact that there was an ECU problem adds to the mystery. This is also the first time I've read of any issues about the car being difficult or unpredictable to drive at the limit. Everyone else has been saying pretty much the opposite, to the point where some people have been concerned that the car will be too easy to drive. Curious....
Agreed on all points.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to be fully correct, the notice was "Motornotlaufprogramm"..so not a classical ECU issue..something at the engine was the trigger..(could be a sensor etc)
Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
just to be fully correct, the notice was "Motornotlaufprogramm"..so not a classical ECU issue..something at the engine was the trigger..(could be a sensor etc)
Noted, thanks. So then, "Engine-emergency-program", no? Not normal function, apparently....
Old 10-18-2013, 03:18 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Noted, thanks. So then, "Engine-emergency-program", no? Not normal function, apparently....
Exactly.."engine emergency programm"..what ever that means
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM
cingulus
Racer

I have a bit more philosophical approach to these numbers. First, I don't posses the driving skills to match the pros or test drivers on any track. Second, this is hobby, not how I pay my bills. Third, it is about fun and owning a great car.

When I think about the comments by Chris Harris and how he called out Ferrari for their shenanigans. I trust his review and the one by EVO. Lots of cars have some attribute that could be said to be better than the new GT3, but I think it is the best balance of style, performance, fun and bragging rights. If you can afford a car in this price range you have no shortage of great options. I have a 2008 M3 and a 2010 GTR and will add a 2014 GT3. Each one is/will be fun and makes my days better when I drive them.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

So looks like the car is ballpark 7.2 RS 3.8 fast. Also both cost about the same. One comes with a manual, hydraulic steering and Mezger engine. The other with paddle shift, RWS and a new engine. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunnyr
So looks like the car is ballpark 7.2 RS 3.8 fast. Also both cost about the same. One comes with a manual, hydraulic steering and Mezger engine. The other with paddle shift, RWS and a new engine. Which would you rather have?
If you believe this test of a car throwing engine codes has more credence than all of the other tests we've seen....

Regardless, if I already owned a 3.8RS I wouldn't be in the market for a new car. But since I don't, to answer your question, the one that I can buy new and not second-hand.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:54 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

If you believe this test of a car throwing engine codes has more credence than all of the other tests we've seen....

Regardless, if I already owned a 3.8RS I wouldn't be in the market for a new car. But since I don't, to answer your question, the one that I can buy new and not second-hand.
If you have a problem buying a used car, obviously an older model is not for you irrespective of any other factor. I don't have that problem, especially cause of the garage queens out there and the fact you can get one certified for an extended factory warranty.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Extending your logic, we shouldn't buy either of those cars, but rather, choose b/t two much cheaper but equally fast options: GTR and Z06.

So obviously the answer isn't all-out pace on the track. It's the quality of the drive. In this respect, judged as a drivers car, its whichever one delivers the experience you seek.

I always liked my 997.1S better on the street than my 997 GT3 b/c of ground clearance, midrange, and overall composure over less than perfect road conditions. From the reviews, the new car delivers insane performance but with added composure in the real world.

That's what I'm looking for and why I'm on the list.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanR-Racer
They say:

The car changes its behaviour: In one corner the car understeers at entry, in others it happily oversteers... The rear axle feels indifferent at the limit.
With PSM off the car oversteers suddenly when there are load changes...
The car needs a driver that knows what he is doing at the limit, as the limit is hard to feel and there is only a small line (though the limit is very high)
To me, this (and not the lap-times) is both the most surprising and most damning part of the test/review. The lack of ability to be thrown into corners and steered by lift/brake/throttle is so very non-GT3-like.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't know what they mean when they say the rear axle feels indifferent at the limit. Also, how do they know when the car is at the limit?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Not sure we can conclude a whole lot from this test, though it is interesting.

It seems clear that at least two things were wrong with the test car. The engine issue, which may of may not have affected the lap times, and something with the chassis, perhaps setup. Will be interested to see the alignment numbers, etc when the full article is published (they generally test them to see how the match spec).

Given the straight line speeds I think setup/ handling had the bigger effect on times: only .8 seconds faster than the 991S around Hockenheim while on track tires while the former was on street tires indicates how badly something was off. The comments about tricky handling at the limit (while everyone else seemed to say the opposite) is the other smoking gun. Question is, what was wrong? Is the chassis extremely sensitive to tire conditions, temperature, alignment, etc, such that this behaviour will show up again occasionally on customer cars? Or did some journalist smack this one off a curb and cause a one-off problem?

I care little about the times. If times are that important this is probably not the right car (and yes, the TTS should be faster). What's critical is the feel. If the 991 GT3 truly proves to be twitchy at and over the limit then it's a failure in my eyes, even if it does turn 7:25s. I think that's unlikely on average, but clearly this one was, so let's see.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Teething problems are going to be there. It is an essentially untested engine in endurance racing. PDK S is new, RWS is new. The early test cars they provided were probably ringers anyway. This is probably an actual production model ready for delivery. The 3.6, 3.8, and the 4.0 Mezger engined cars are legendary for many reasons.
OT but I just sold my 2011 Turbo S but kept my 09 Turbo because it has the Mezger engine, no PDK, and above all no PTV. I could not stand PTV most of all.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!