Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS vs. 458 Speciale

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Pretty funny. "Old dutch guy in a Fiat" I guess I am jaded I really like my 911's, but I am used to them. The 458 is always an "occasion".
Old 10-16-2014, 04:15 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari definitely used to have reliability issues, but those have improved dramatically since the 430 as stated previously... Best evidence is the 7yr warranty now offered.. Really difficult to know for sure, at least in the US, as there are so few higher mileage Scuds, 16Ms, 458s, etc... Wondering how often 'RS' cars were driven, I looked up .2 GT3RS/GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 on autotrader, and used the 5 highest mileage examples listed for sale... average annual mileage was ~3,496 (lower than I would have expected).. Looking at the 430 Scuderia was ~2185 and the 16M was ~771, although I could argue the 16M is more of a 'collector' car than the others... For reference the 458 is ~6,226... So 'special edition' Ferraris tend to be lower annual mileage than 'special edition' porsches, but not by a lot.. It will be interesting to see if the 458 versions are higher mileage still, as a result of their being better DDs than a 430...

That said, Ferraris typically are not driven as much or as hard as a 911, as most owners have them for weekend cars, 2nd home cars, etc while more 911s, even GT3s, etc are daily drivers... I would also bet that replacement parts, service, tires, etc are all more expensive for Fcars than Pcars, but don't have any facts on that...

As for Customer Service, for Ferrari it really depends on your history with a dealer... If you're 'in the inner circle', you tend to get access to new cars, responsiveness on service, etc, etc... The most frustrated are those trying to get into the inner circle, as they really do make you jump through hoops in a way I do not think is sustainable... Porsche treats you well - frankly I think that is a result of offering so many lower priced models and needing to increase service levels - however I would say that my experiences with Porsche service has not been great, referring specifically to the # of times in for the same issue, length of time in for the issue and ability to properly diagnose the issue...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
Ferrari definitely used to have reliability issues, but those have improved dramatically since the 430 as stated previously... Best evidence is the 7yr warranty now offere.
Ferrari only has a 3 year warranty, powertrain and bumper to bumper......the 7 year program is free maintenance.....and as someone who is not on the inner circle I will say Ferrari service is top notch....,
Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. 3 year warranty. Also, any additional maintenance is not free. Scheduled maintenance is free. If you track the car, additional maintenance is going to be on you.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Who cares about reliability, warranty, service and resale when your (stock) Fiat does this?

Jokes aside, the reliability with very heavy track use has been great. Service (over here) way better than Porsche. Resale? That's a worry for later. Maybe never.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering final RS specs aren't out yet....I believe the only facts we can use for this hypothetical comparison is the current 458s vs GT3 track videos despite inconsistent drivers. In my opinion the GT3 has held its own pretty well against 458S so far despite losing in many spec comparisons. I think we will be surprised how great the RS will be vs 458S.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Who cares about reliability, warranty, service and resale when your (stock) Fiat does this?

Jokes aside, the reliability with very heavy track use has been great. Service (over here) way better than Porsche. Resale? That's a worry for later. Maybe never.
That has to be one of the coolest pics I have ever seen...to bad the silly track light got caught in pic also.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:45 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

^^^LOVE it, Tom!!! Lucky thing is, your GT3 will do that too! Photo grabbed from Evo's spectacular COTY 2013 vid
at about 1:50, in case anyone needs another flimsy excuse to watch it again!
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 02:03 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by sccchiii
That has to be one of the coolest pics I have ever seen...to bad the silly track light got caught in pic also.
I know, there's no way escaping these lights on that track. I'm uploading the clip later...
Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77

my F458 italia is 16 months old and has 18K km, driven all through summer and winter in central europe (yes, this includes snow). the only issue i had so far was a leaking front lifter. the car was picked up one hour after my call and a california was delivered for my use during the repair (four days, they had to wait for the part to come in from maranello). otherwise NO ISSUE. i am not going to list my porsche service qualms with the C4S i had before (997) because you might fall asleep in the middle of it while reading.
i am not saying that ferraris are in general more reliable than porsches but the notion that 'a ferrari cannot do this and that..breaks down every so often...etc' is utter nonsense - or better said, a thing from the past.
i am not part of the ferrari inner circle, nevertheless a factory pickup with factory tour was arranged (no extra charge) when i bought the car and when i put down the downpayment for the next car the dealer made it clear that i can choose at any time whether i want a M458-T or a speciale. downpayment refundable until 2 weeks after the presentation of the M458-T.
try this with porsche....
peter
Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Here's the 'flaming' video... I should bring the marshmallows next time! ;-)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0aODISxOHiI

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS vs. 458 Speciale