Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an eye out for the vid of this test. I'm pretty sure they didn't just drive and write about it. This is going to be exciting...
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The track review sounds very promising.

Lets face it guys every iteration of the GT3 since 1999 has been far more fast than you can every use at 5/10ths its limit at legal road speeds anywhere in the world. nothing in this regard changes. We aren't *****'s, when we go for a proper drive and find a deserted canyon road or back road rural winding set we just go for it - I for one dont keep an eye on my speedo when Im "deliberately" enjoying my cars reserves on a quiet road. Nothing changes, just the speed and precision and of course as always the mess will be a little but bigger f you make a mistake....

If There was going to be a hard acid test on this car it was going to be EVO. It does sound like it came out pretty well. Meaden owns a 964RS and loves analogue cars so i understand his point but its the same point I thought when I went form 993RS to 996.1 GT3 (too fast and clinical). Now the 996GT3 feels organic and talkative and not too quick. Time and expectations change I guess...
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave C4S Cab
I see from your signature, you have a Nov 2013 build, lucky guy!
unfortunately my allocation is for 4th quarter 2014
Yeah, I put down a deposit in March 2012. My wait will be 21 months so I know what it's like to be patient. You'll be getting a 2015; maybe more goodies await!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Any idea how I can get a copy? In the US I don't think any of the local places has it on the rack, anyone know of a chain that carries it?

I checked into the digital subscription, it would begin with issue 188, not the current 187. I'd happily buy the subscription if I could get the current issue.

Checked "back issues" they start at 185, ugh.

Ryan
Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
the chassis's crazy ability to change direction and its vast reserves of grip mean that to make the GT3 really alive, you need a clear road and an unhealthy disregard for your driving licence. Inevitably the sweet, punchy PDK box only pours fuel on the fire, giving easy access to the new engine's wild top-end and allowing you to use every last drop of the car's stunning composure to good effect. To criticise a car for such qualities might seem odd, but as Dickie (Meaden) discovered, its predecessor's physical manual box, short-travel suspension and gritty engine provides greater engagement and excitement at lower, more accessible speeds.
This is huge. And it fits my experience with the 997 and 991. 997 is fun at all speeds. 991 is boring at sane speeds, thrilling and capable at high speeds. 991 GT3 seems to be indeed be a 991. IMO, it would be silly to buy a 991 GT3 for mainly road use, but looks like a good choice for mainly track use. I'd be in the latter category, but am losing hope of actually being able to get one within the next year.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
This is huge. And it fits my experience with the 997 and 991. 997 is fun at all speeds. 991 is boring at sane speeds, thrilling and capable at high speeds. 991 GT3 seems to be indeed be a 991. IMO, it would be silly to buy a 991 GT3 for mainly road use, but looks like a good choice for mainly track use. I'd be in the latter category, but am losing hope of actually being able to get one within the next year.
I agree with what you say in principle although I havent driven the car yet. My use will be DD and Track. I cant understand why it wont be a good DD. From what Im reading it would make a far better DD than the previous generation (better suspension, ability to auto change, more spacious interior, better parking maneuverability etc).

Ive owned plenty of interesting Porsche hardware but ii cant say any of them were particularly more exciting than any others when it came to DD duties. I think the 991 GT3 will perform this task very well and on track too so that leaves spirited back road weekend drives and tarmac rally - frankly I cant see it being less than a blast on either of those either (we rarely drive at or below the speed limit when pressing on anyhow)...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I believe you are over-thinking this a bit.
Although my .2 was fun on the street, it wasn't really fun until things became illegal. Same goes for the 991.
I am also confidant a 991 GT3 is far more fun than a 991S on the street even at sane speeds.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the car will be dual personality.
a guy up the road from me has a daily-driver 458, and mostly rolls past in auto-mode with hardly a sound, but when he's deep in the throttle the thing is much louder than any other previous ferrari that i have heard including scud and strad.
it's very loud.
that is how people want their cars these days. the compromises at either end are getting finer and finer.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I took my C63 to the track today. Great road car, practical yet the torque, handling, sounds, etc. are fun. But it sucked on track (with street tires): burned the front OEM brake pads, lots of brake fade in the first session and the pedal still has much increased travel (likely boiled the brake fluid), transmission overheated and wouldn't let me shift manually much of the time, and overall it felt like a big heavy blob. I anticipate the 991 GT3 will be the opposite of this: a demon on the track, vastly underutilized on the road.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thats just my point.

A German businessman would say your C63 AMG is vastly underutilized because you don't use it on autobahns to traverse great distances with blinding ease at 230kmph.

My 6GT3 was vastly underutilized on the rounds around my city

My 993RS was vastly underutilized on the roads within my city.

My heavily modded 993 C2 is vastly underutilized on anything barr a track or a Targa tarmac rally event.

Lets face it unless you use any GT 911 exclusively on the track Id say it spends 80% of its lifes mileage vastly underutilized...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^ I agree completely. Vastly underutilized is one thing. Not fun is something else. The absolutely last thing I'm worried about with my new 991 GT3 when it gets here is that it won't be fun; on the track, on the street, or just looking at it in my driveway!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Sounds like 9000rpm and PDK are fun. Who'd a thunk? And it's sold out in the US market. Porsche really should sack their marketing, save the budget and just send a car to a couple of these journo's capable of reviewing the cars, not just parroting the talking points in the press pack.
I agree with this. Its a total laugh. UK sold out and the factory have now advised most ROW dealers all GT3 slots fulfilled and upsell to RS. The configurator is a joke (more useful info on these boards) and the NA dealers havent even been given the technical sales literature the ROW have had available to their clients for the last 4 months. Most people who have an order dont really know exactly when it will appear. I blame it on the stupid idea of 918 buyers being given first orders in the USA on GT3 - I think that really stuffed up the books for Porsche. They needn't have bothered with a brochure either as its just regurgitated images from the web....
Old 08-10-2013, 01:35 AM
pmpsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911dev
I believe you are over-thinking this a bit.
Although my .2 was fun on the street, it wasn't really fun until things became illegal. Same goes for the 991.
I am also confidant a 991 GT3 is far more fun than a 991S on the street even at sane speeds.
4.0 is therefore the car to get
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats just my point.

A German businessman would say your C63 AMG is vastly underutilized because you don't use it on autobahns to traverse great distances with blinding ease at 230kmph.

My 6GT3 was vastly underutilized on the rounds around my city

My 993RS was vastly underutilized on the roads within my city.

My heavily modded 993 C2 is vastly underutilized on anything barr a track or a Targa tarmac rally event.

Lets face it unless you use any GT 911 exclusively on the track Id say it spends 80% of its lifes mileage vastly underutilized...
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^^ I agree completely. Vastly underutilized is one thing. Not fun is something else. The absolutely last thing I'm worried about with my new 991 GT3 when it gets here is that it won't be fun; on the track, on the street, or just looking at it in my driveway!
My point is that higher the capability of the car, generally the less engaging it will be at realistic road speeds (I don't condone unsafe driving on the road, and have no interest in going to jail); the 997 is a rare semi-exception. The C63 proves to not be very capable on the track, but does well on the road. All indications are that the GT3 will be uber capable on the track, and just plodding along on the road (just like the regular 991 or 991S). The reviewers that we've seen loving the car on the road were pushing the car a lot harder than realistic road driving (crossing into the other lane, getting it loose with the power on wet roads, etc.).
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

991 GT3 is getting the just reviews it deserves and that we expected... the level of engagement and satisfaction will be subjective (and for me, likely not appealing)... The comment regarding the 4.0RS is low and biased as far as I'm concerned for a car 2sec off the pace with the "old technology" over a 20km track... The kind of comment a reviewer that can't drive would make... It ain't the car's fault you are inadequately equipped from a skill set point of view to exploit the car's potential...

Quick Reply: EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test