consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

another nail in the coffin.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for posting. Pretty much as I think we predicted on another thread. PDK-S only and Im 100% certain 3.8L. Makes the GT3 look relatively good value given the likely price difference...but the GT3 is now sold out so I suspect orders will move to the RS. My guess is the RS will be sold out moments after allocations open as there will be tonnes of latent demand by the time the Gt3 is getting delivered from Oct. Expect some form of announcement in Sept with the car shown in March.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Macca -- Like previously discussed, my feeling is:

TT wide body
Wider front track
Standard Sport Buckets
Larger wing, dive planes
Weight saving via carbon roof, hood, wing and lightweight battery--car could wind up 100 to 150 pounds lighter than a GT3...

For me nd my purposes, I'm happy with my standard GT3 allocation.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im in agreement with you. Im thinking somewhere around 100-120lbs myself. Im assuming the wider bodywork and front fender extensions will counter the small savings from alloy to CF roof panel. The bulk of the savings will be maybe 70 lbs in the bucket seats (these will have some electrics I believe). The battery should be good for 12lb+. Id say some more basic interior trim and carpet will remove another 20lbs.

The good news is with the same RS seats and battery fitted I suspect the average GT3 owner will win back most of that (82lbs) to get the weight down below that of the outgoing 997.2GT3....
Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with above. I would be extremely surprised if a manual comes on the upcoming RS. I'm guessing a 3.8 with 500 to 525 hp.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Macca and @Jon70 -- Agreed. My feeling is that you might have a titanium exhaust, some other tweaks to get to 500+hp rating (keeping in mind that AP said during that in depth Evo interview some months back that they underrated the power on the GT3 at 475 and that the real number is closer to 500...).
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im in agreement with you. Im thinking somewhere around 100-120lbs myself. Im assuming the wider bodywork and front fender extensions will counter the small savings from alloy to CF roof panel. The bulk of the savings will be maybe 70 lbs in the bucket seats (these will have some electrics I believe). The battery should be good for 12lb+. Id say some more basic interior trim and carpet will remove another 20lbs.

The good news is with the same RS seats and battery fitted I suspect the average GT3 owner will win back most of that (82lbs) to get the weight down below that of the outgoing 997.2GT3....
The difference between the previous airbag equipped sport buckets and the standard 4 way Sport Plus seats in the GT3 is just a bit over 19lbs total for both seats. (78 vs. 97.2) Macca, anything's possible, but I'd be very surprised if the new sport buckets saved anywhere near 70lbs.

The weight delta between the last RS and GT3 was 55lbs IIRC. With the wider TT body, and so much aluminum already in the 991 GT3, I'll bet the RS will be well under 100 lbs less than the GT3 unless it has a lot more very expensive CF than we expect. Something else to speculate about for a few months.

I agree with you that, for a price, 991 GT3 owners will be able to trim the weight on their cars by retrofitting/adding buckets and a LW battery to bring it close to the previous stock 3.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike. I was referring to weight of one piece bucket seats ala 918 as seen in CH video vs standard sport seats. Im guessing 32kg difference the pair. I read somewhere the new buckets will have electric height adjustment with new brushless motors. I know the difference between my 993 hardbacked sports seats and current CF backed recaro buckets is over 85lbs the paid so was assuming difference to be around 70lb with the motors. All speculation as you say.

IMO there is no way quoted power of RS will be above 500 bhp with 3.8L. Even if they take what they already apparently left on the table with the 991 GT3 output they still need to find 15PS and I cant see any more of that with only changes to manifold, intake plenum, intake manifold and EC massage.

As for PDK-S ratios in the RS its possible they could change these. If they lower the final ratio it will come at the expense of top speed which will already be under pressure with the reduced aero of the larger body.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Mike. I was referring to weight of one piece bucket seats ala 918 as seen in CH video vs standard sport seats. Im guessing 32kg difference the pair. I read somewhere the new buckets will have electric height adjustment with new brushless motors. I know the difference between my 993 hardbacked sports seats and current CF backed recaro buckets is over 85lbs the paid so was assuming difference to be around 70lb with the motors. All speculation as you say.

IMO there is no way quoted power of RS will be above 500 bhp with 3.8L. Even if they take what they already apparently left on the table with the 991 GT3 output they still need to find 15PS and I cant see any more of that with only changes to manifold, intake plenum, intake manifold and EC massage.

As for PDK-S ratios in the RS its possible they could change these. If they lower the final ratio it will come at the expense of top speed which will already be under pressure with the reduced aero of the larger body.
Hi Macca. I guess we'll just have to see about the weight. I didn't think there was that much difference between the hard back seats and CF buckets. Maybe we're not talking about the same seats. For example the single piece Euro GT3 buckets in my 996 weighed 33 lbs each. This compares reasonably to the 39lbs each of the GT2 airbag equipped folding Sport Buckets and the 49lbs each for the hard back sport seats in the new 991 GT3. The new 918 style CF buckets with electric height are an unknown. Oh well, no point in quibbling over it. We'll have the RS to do a real comparison in a few months.

I agree completely with you about the HP. The previous GT3 to RS differential was 15hp. I can see where they might go to 25 which would peg the RS at 500 (a nice even marketing number) but seriously doubt it would be more. And, as you said, I don't see them going to a 4.0 on the first go 'round either. Speculation, speculation.....
Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Gosh Mike I didn't realise the standard sport seats in the 991 were that (relatively) light! In the 993 the hardback sports seats were around 60lb (35kg) each from memory. The 991 ones sound like they are already around 22lb a pair lighter.

IMO the folding buckets are a half way house solution. I wouldnt order them even though they are available to me. You loose most of the adjustment and dont really get any improvement in shoulder/lateral support (unless you go Clubsport spec and install the 6 pt harness) for little weight benefit (10lb a side).

My CF buckets weigh in at 12kg (25lb) a side with another 3kg a side for brackets and sliders. Im estimating the 918 Buckets will be around 34lb a side with hardware. I guess thats only a 30lb saving over the stock sport seats.

So if that is all ballpark correct then Im revising my weight reduction to around 70lb then as it will likely have slightly wider front wheels (to fill in the extended front guards).
Old 08-03-2013, 04:53 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

You can do whatever you want to your GT3, but it still won't be an RS. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:10 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
You can do whatever you want to your GT3, but it still won't be an RS. Ask me how I know.

RS has always been special. Long live the RS!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Sure. If I wanted an RS Id buy and RS, but is its 30k better than at GT3? I had a 993RS and made my current 993 better than that car in all respects but it costs alot to move beyond the factory RS specs/design parameters and although anything possible with time and money I do agree its not a viable way to go....
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Thanks for posting. Pretty much as I think we predicted on another thread. PDK-S only and Im 100% certain 3.8L. Makes the GT3 look relatively good value given the likely price difference...but the GT3 is now sold out so I suspect orders will move to the RS. My guess is the RS will be sold out moments after allocations open as there will be tonnes of latent demand by the time the Gt3 is getting delivered from Oct. Expect some form of announcement in Sept with the car shown in March.
Any idea what the price increase for the RS will be?

Since I didn't put a deposit down and others were eager, I'm now down to #5 on my dealer's list for the GT3 and not optimistic about being able to get one in a reasonable time frame. By putting a deposit down, I'll move up the list if any of the other four drop out, but my dealer doesn't even have a specific allocation yet, so he doesn't seem to have much pull and the situation isn't encouraging (in the first-world sense, I'm not actually 'concerned' about it, existing cars work too).

Availability of the RS should help on the supply side in general, and I actually wouldn't mind paying more for the RS, since it'll add some performance and feel, if the price increase is reasonable.

And of course, once the GT3 and RS actually find their way to people's garages, there should be more 997 GT3s on the market, bringing their cost down. I wouldn't mind getting a 997.2 RS now, and looking at getting a 991 GT3/RS in a couple years or so. Maybe I could pickup a garage queen at a discount, given that apparently these cars won't be tracked much by most owners.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine - GT3 RS