Sponsored by:

Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:02 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 I've removed 'em from every 911 I've had.....
I think the thread is about adding rear seats, not removing them. I'm glad that you don't need them. if you are not going to track the car as it's primary mission, then if you have a family, back seats are pretty much mandatory.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me this thread is a joke or that it got misplaced and should be in the Panamera thread.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think the thread is about adding rear seats, not removing them. I'm glad that you don't need them. if you are not going to track the car as it's primary mission, then if you have a family, back seats are pretty much mandatory.
Thanks, but I know what the thread is about. I was simply agreeing with Peter's comment that the back seats are over-rated. Just my opinion, of course....
Old 08-14-2013, 02:12 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
don't worry, chris; in nz they do anything you want if you add in a case of woodstock n cola

I literally laughed out loud , you'll have a kiwi at a sixer

Something to consider (well here anyway) the GT3's are compliance as a 2 seat car (well mine is and can't see why different for anyone else here) adding back seats, I am not sure what implications that may have in registration/legalities god forbid anything happened.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
don't worry, chris; in nz they do anything you want if you add in a case of woodstock n cola
Originally Posted by edgy
I literally laughed out loud , you'll have a kiwi at a sixer

Something to consider (well here anyway) the GT3's are compliance as a 2 seat car (well mine is and can't see why different for anyone else here) adding back seats, I am not sure what implications that may have in registration/legalities god forbid anything happened.
lmao.... I'd missed Jimmy's response on page 1 until you quoted it edgy... Too funny. Jimmy must be onto something because thats some verrrrrry questionable compliancing. I made enquiries about it here and was told that it could be done BUT OEM parts would be an almost certain must, oem brackets had to be welded into the car and then an engineers certificate acquired followed by an adjustment of the vehicle's seating capacity at the local roads authority... Thats just to get it legal... Then a new battle would need to start with insurers as its now modified with increased seating capacity.

They lost me at 'weld'... I'll be f#@ked if I'm going to pull apart a brand new car and butcher it, bleed out top dollar and all for two seats with no leg room...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. The difference between NZ and AU (apart from the fact we like sheep and created three of the most famous F1 drivers of their era) is you guys have smog and ADR compliance. We have narda hence the plethora of crazy Japanese import stuff that comes to our shores. Granted its getting harder now....we are a country of back yard engineers and fabricators. Its a shame really as no one seems to get hurt much....
Old 08-14-2013, 05:04 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Macca, you mean what they say about NZers and sheep is true?! Jokes...

True, they are plenty strict here although admittedly cars like GT3 breach so many rules and yet manage to make it to the showroom and into our garages... noise, clearance, centrelocks... There must be a $$$ for exemptions office here too... Thankfully
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
edgy
Banned

Originally Posted by 911rox
lmao.... I'd missed Jimmy's response on page 1 until you quoted it edgy... Too funny. Jimmy must be onto something because thats some verrrrrry questionable compliancing. I made enquiries about it here and was told that it could be done BUT OEM parts would be an almost certain must, oem brackets had to be welded into the car and then an engineers certificate acquired followed by an adjustment of the vehicle's seating capacity at the local roads authority... Thats just to get it legal... Then a new battle would need to start with insurers as its now modified with increased seating capacity.

They lost me at 'weld'... I'll be f#@ked if I'm going to pull apart a brand new car and butcher it, bleed out top dollar and all for two seats with no leg room...

Sounds like your in Australia too??

Yeah screw all that just for two seats! If it was that important to have 4 seats id of bought a turbo.

First thing the old man said when he saw my car was "oh... That's a selfish car" .... Yes Dad, it is.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Yeah Edgy, I am... Melbs based...

I like only being able to take one passenger... Call me selfish too
Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Please tell me this thread is a joke or that it got misplaced and should be in the Panamera thread.
Panamera has rear seats, so the thread would be out of place there.

There is nothing wrong with looking for ways to use such a wonderful car more often. I am thinking about adding rear seats, hitch for a small tire trailer, and maybe a bike rack (less likely, though). And I will have a 500hp+ SUV at my disposal, so it's not out of necessity.

It's not a race car, and those extra few pounds are irrelevant. They will not take anything away from performance or driving enjoyment but may make difference between garage queen and a car that actually gets driven.

Of course, if the purpose of the car is to demonstrate badass-ness of the owner, the rear seats would be a no-no. But on the other hand, when you pass people on the track, and then they come by to ask about performance and weight reduction mods that of course would be essential for that but instead see booster seats still in, that's pretty badass :-)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM
edgy
Banned

Originally Posted by 911rox
Yeah Edgy, I am... Melbs based...

I like only being able to take one passenger... Call me selfish too
Ha Ha! Nice! High Five!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM
onefastdoc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Panamera has rear seats, so the thread would be out of place there.

There is nothing wrong with looking for ways to use such a wonderful car more often. I am thinking about adding rear seats, hitch for a small tire trailer, and maybe a bike rack (less likely, though). And I will have a 500hp+ SUV at my disposal, so it's not out of necessity.

It's not a race car, and those extra few pounds are irrelevant. They will not take anything away from performance or driving enjoyment but may make difference between garage queen and a car that actually gets driven.

Of course, if the purpose of the car is to demonstrate badass-ness of the owner, the rear seats would be a no-no. But on the other hand, when you pass people on the track, and then they come by to ask about performance and weight reduction mods that of course would be essential for that but instead see booster seats still in, that's pretty badass :-)
+1. I too need rear seats in the GT3. I have a wife and a daughter and if I can't get them both in the car with me, I can't have the GT3. My GT-R has tiny little rear seats but they are perfect for my daughter's booster seat. I'd like to add a GT3 to the stable but it's going to require some sort of ability to accommodate a booster seat in the rear.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 I've removed 'em from every 911 I've had.....
After removing the back seats, have you found the lack of a flat surface such as
provided by the lowered seatbacks (almost level with the transmission tunnel)
to be an impediment to storing a couple of suitcases back there? Or have you
found an alternative way of providing that flat surface? I'm trying to find a
"flat surface" solution for luggage as my GT3 trunk will likely be used for a collapsible spare tire, tools, spares, helmet, etc.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
How do you attach a hitch with a center exhaust? I'm with you the bike rack... Nothing cooler than a badass sports car with beautiful carbon fiber bicycles on the roof. It's like watching two of my girlfriends mounting each other .. That always makes me cross-eyed levels of giddy.

Last edited by CAlexio; 11-27-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Seats