Car and Driver First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car and Driver First Drive

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

"Shocking news: The new Porsche 911 GT3 is terrible! It’s a huge disappointment, a broken dream. Cancel your deposit if you’ve made one, and tear up your check if you haven’t. And write to the German ambassador to demand some kind of formal inquiry."

"No, not really. We’re just kidding."

Ryan
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Ryan. Official press embargo was lifted 22 July so these will flow all around the world now.

Another glowing review by one of the US top magazines.

Of course wait for it to be slaughtered.

I think in 12 months time we will look back at all of this and some will wonder if they were a bit pre mature in their opinion on these boards of this car. I could be wrong of course, I guess time will tell. For me Im waiting for the track and comparison reviews. They should be very revealing!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Have to take my hat off to this journo for his colourful language LOL!
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Says it all for me. No thanks.

"But after a while you find yourself leaving the gearbox to its own devices, knowing it will never miss a shift."
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Says it all for me. No thanks.

"But after a while you find yourself leaving the gearbox to its own devices, knowing it will never miss a shift."
You should definitely get into a Porsche. If you want a car with real feel I suggest an aircooled 964 or 993. RS version even better if you can afford it. these are really organic cars and will really bring out the driver (and skill) in them to drive them fast. Otherwise try 996.2 GT3. Very good. If you want to be spendy try 997.2 GT3 - very nice.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Everyone focuses on different parts of reviews. The important parts for me are:

"To abandon any pretense of suspense, it’s fantastic—grippier, revvier, and better to drive than its already-epic predecessor. And after our first spin in a preproduction example in Europe, we wonder if this isn’t a car that’s good enough to raise serious questions over whether its worth spending more on anything else."

"Yet it doesn’t take long for the new transmission to prove that it’s—that word again—fantastic. Shifts are clean and rapid in default mode, although delivered with enough of a torque bump to allow you to sense that something has happened. In drive it’s happy to trundle along shifting seamlessly, but there’s also a Sport mode that both ups the speed of the changes—cutting them to just 0.1 second, the same as in the 911 Cup racer"

"Would the GT3 be better with a manual transmission? Almost certainly not; there isn’t a hand in the world as fast or as accurate as Porsche’s Doppelkupplungsgetriebe. But it would be nice to have the chance to find out." <--- the chance to find out people will get over at some point
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

"You can still shift gears yourself, of course, using the smaller than usual metal paddles behind the steering wheel, which have a nice weight and a clicky mechanical action. But after a while you find yourself leaving the gearbox to its own devices, knowing it will never miss a shift."

Fantastic.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
"You can still shift gears yourself, of course, using the smaller than usual metal paddles behind the steering wheel, which have a nice weight and a clicky mechanical action. But after a while you find yourself leaving the gearbox to its own devices, knowing it will never miss a shift."

Fantastic.
That is exactly what a Porsche instructor also told me, it is faster left on it's own.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Review reads very similarly (almost paraphrased in places) to Mike Duff's review in Evo; strangely I've never heard of Nathan Lion...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Ryan. Official press embargo was lifted 22 July so these will flow all around the world now.

Another glowing review by one of the US top magazines.

Of course wait for it to be slaughtered.

I think in 12 months time we will look back at all of this and some will wonder if they were a bit pre mature in their opinion on these boards of this car. I could be wrong of course, I guess time will tell. For me Im waiting for the track and comparison reviews. They should be very revealing!
You're right; another great review but for some it simply doesn't matter. It's become clear that regardless of what reviewers may say or what track times are achieved, some people are simply hardened against this car. You've heard of single issue voters? These are judgments about the 991 GT3 based pretty much on a single criteria; it doesn't have a MT.

I can probably name 25 things that I love about driving and the process of interacting with a car. Shifting gears with a foot pedal and a stick is just one of them. It is fun, but IMHO there's nothing so inherently rewarding in that easily learned and for the most part mundane act that makes it far and away more satisfying than any number of other skills that are required to drive well.

For me, driving is about the totality of the experience, not just one single thing. From everything I've read and heard the total experience of driving the new GT3 is going to be just what Car&Driver said repeatedly in this review: fantastic. OTOH, some are unable to get past the fact that a single element is missing and no review is going to change their mind. I respect those who feel that way, but I also think they might be missing out on something really good.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I actually love the car. I just hate the slush box.

It's too important to ignore.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I actually love the car. I just hate the slush box.

It's too important to ignore.
Fair enough (although it's not a "slush box"). But you just said "no thanks" to the car above so clearly your mind is made up based on that one issue. With respect, that's all I'm saying.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I agree.

I respect for some people the lack of manual will hypothetically take them out of the market. But I think they still need to drive it to be sure.

Over on the Uk/Europe boards they are joking the US boards for being the "MT Taliban" on the issue. There are always fanatics in any area of life (religion being the obvious). Fundamentalists however is another thing. We definitely have some of those here. I would describe myself as a MT Fanatic up to this point, but open to the idea of this car. maybe its an age/experience thing. Who knows.

The new 991 GT3 seems to have unanimous praise so far for delivering on a number of levels over the outgoing 997.2 GT3 and is most commonly compared to the 4.0RS (respect). Chassis, front end grip, sonorous 9000 rpm engine, power, handling and cornering, ride quality, asthetics, interior build quality, out right drive-ability, 0-100 stats, top speed stats, Ring time stats the list just goes on. If this were a MT 997.3 GT3 it would trounce so hard on its predecessor that people would be jumping out of the old model like rats from a sinking ship. There is one negative (for some). MT. One negative over maybe 30 positives that make this car on many levels much more enjoyable and usable not just a Saturday track car. Interesting isnt it....

Lastly, I think the MT fundamentalist US comment has its history as one well know board administrator in Europe summarized in history. For most off the work manual cars have always been cheaper tobuy and run than MT cars. Subsequently most of us (UK, Europe, NZ, Australia etc) have grown up driving MT cars from the day we were 15 (license age in NZ!). My wife can drive stick and 90% of those my age drive stick or can drive stick. The US probably invented the auto box and its been a staple ever since. I suspect less than 15% of US cars are stick. For us however a really good automated transmission isntly looked upon in trepidation. There isnt anything manly Downunder in driving a manual shift car - even very well. We are a car passionate nation who all learnt to drive manuals and have some fun as young lads. In teh US driving a manual probably has some Cachet as 80% of the poulation cant drive one. The PDK-S box is looked at differently in these other markets - they have an open mind to it - if anything we would have been driving autos more years ago if not for cost, fuel economy and availability but many of us also recognize most auto boxes have been un-involving. The worlds changing and gearbox tech in the last 10 years has gone ballistic. I dont hear motor noters constantly mentioning they wish the 458 was manual and it would be a better car. keeping an open mind is the difference between being passionate or even fanatic rather than fundamentalist IMO...
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Mike.........Yes, unfortunately it is made up, and i'm actually mad at myself that I can't give in to it.

Some things are ingrained too deep.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Please note that I'm an occasional Kool-Aid drinker and many of my past postings have been influenced by taking that little sip once in a while.
I'm still very passionate about Porsche and always loved the 911 since I was a kid. Yet,my conviction is starting to wear thinner and thinner.
But I do observe that for some the Kool-Aid is having a full blown effect taken to extreme.
I can assure you of one thing : Personally I will always keep an open mind about this car and try to accept it for what it is,even though I've chosen not to buy it because it's lacking the most important thing I seek in a fun car : shifting gears.
I suggest the rest to keep an open mind about where us manual " broken records " are coming from too...

Quick Reply: Car and Driver First Drive