Sponsored by:

Car and Driver First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I think he was talking about the UK market; notably different than the US market in terms of MT's deployment.

---------------

Anyway, I know a lot of the naysayers here who have already discounted the initial reviews as hyperbole and biased, will also dismiss the early adopter reviews.

While I won't have my car until March-ish despite being no. 2 on my dealer's list, and after 6 manual 911s including both GT3 versions, if the car ends up boring to drive b/c of the loss of the manual, I'll sell it w/i three months of street driving and at least one weekend on Circuit of the Americas, and tell everyone here the reason (well, after I sell it, LOL).

I've cycled through other high end metal quickly in the past; no biggie really.
Just in case, can I built your GT3
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I never doubted that this car would be "much better" than the 997.2 it superseded... so I think it delivered on that ... but did it deliver what I as a potential customer wanted ... nope ... the new car just delivers a different experience that I am less attracted to (in the absence of actually driving it)

I would imagine that it will win Evo eCoty ... as have many of its forebears ...

If I get the chance, I would love to drive one and see for myself what the experience is like 1st hand ...
I think you are in line right behind Mooty to come to Austin. I'll stick a go-pro on his head for all to see.

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
Just in case, can I built your GT3
Ha! Sure, as long as its red, full leather, lift.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Finally, the shifting speed of the PDK-S in Sport Mode: 100ms.
Wasn't the 458 capable of shifting in 60ms on pre-loaded shifts? AP had claimed the PDK-S was the fastest production box out there... Can you comment on this?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan39
Wasn't the 458 capable of shifting in 60ms on pre-loaded shifts? AP had claimed the PDK-S was the fastest production box out there... Can you comment on this?
i own a 458 but i do not know what you mean by preload a shift. i know you can do this in the MP4-12C but in the fezza??
peter
Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by markow
i own a 458 but i do not know what you mean by preload a shift. i know you can do this in the MP4-12C but in the fezza??
peter
I don't know either, it sounded like NJ-GT knew quite a bit about the subject to ask the question.

It would be interesting to hear which is the fastest gearbox. Doubt it makes any performance difference but would like to know.

The consensus on 'feel' seems to be that the 458 gearbox is better, I guess because it has more of a noise and impact to the shifts than the 12C.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
markow
Racer

I don't know either, it sounded like NJ-GT knew quite a bit about the subject to ask the question.

It would be interesting to hear which is the fastest gearbox. Doubt it makes any performance difference but would like to know.

The consensus on 'feel' seems to be that the 458 gearbox is better, I guess because it has more of a noise and impact to the shifts than the 12C.
i like the F458 gearbox better over the 12C's. but it is hard to separate the issues 'gearbox' and 'slight turbo-lag' in the 12C. all in all it does not matter much, the 12C is in total faster but the 458 is - IMHO - more beautiful and more involving at (semi)legal speeds. but i still crave the GT3....
p
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't make too big of a deal over the fact that C&D pegged the time at .1 sec (100ms). There has been a lot of rounding and fudging of numbers in the various reviews and while no one has previously given a precise time most have listed it as <100ms.

AP did say it was the fastest street box out there. That said, and keeping in mind that the average eye blink is 300ms, let me know if you find a way to detect a meaningful difference between 60, 80, or 100ms.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

It's not the minute difference in shift times that are at issue, it's the lag b/t input and the actual shift. Some DCTs are terrible in this department but that vid of the UK reviewer showed virtually no lag b/t input and shift based on reflections in the instrument panel. Can't wait to try it for myself.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Good point, frayed.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been surprised at how consistently postive the reviews have been. An contrarian writer could get himself a lot of attention with an story panning the car, proclaiming Porsche soulless and dead, and whip up a frothy article.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
I've been surprised at how consistently postive the reviews have been. An contrarian writer could get himself a lot of attention with an story panning the car, proclaiming Porsche soulless and dead, and whip up a frothy article.
But everyone who wasn't MT Taliban would know he was a clown. Like writing iOS is a piece of ***t and we should all buy Windows 3.1
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated

Im guessing he wouldn't get invited back for further pre-release journalism.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally test drove a 430 Scuderia, equiped with the F1 floppys and single-clutch automatic... I get it. The car was a blast to drive and the engine sound is intoxicating. Driving it on the track would be pure bliss. Rad is on to something...

But with that said, it is point and shoot. It reminded me of a shifter cart. Is that good? Well, I am still struggling to learn how to drive like Wanna911 in my "old" 6.2 GT3. Enter the 991 Gt3 stage right. I am sure the PDK will be unbelievable. The driveability will be off the charts.

But is that good? I am conflicted.

-B
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Blake. You have pretty much summed up exactly my situation and experience to date. Actually I cant fault a single word you write or the final question you ask. Given I will always keep my visceral & organic manual 993 which I am also always learning to drive more proficiently I felt that the 991 GT3 was worth investing in to understand if it provides the precise experiences my old girl cant give me (supreme usability, speed, handling and 21st century dynamics and sports driving experience). I guess Ill find out in December...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I finally test drove a 430 Scuderia, equiped with the F1 floppys and single-clutch automatic... I get it. The car was a blast to drive and the engine sound is intoxicating. Driving it on the track would be pure bliss. Rad is on to something...

But with that said, it is point and shoot. It reminded me of a shifter cart. Is that good? Well, I am still struggling to learn how to drive like Wanna911 in my "old" 6.2 GT3. Enter the 991 Gt3 stage right. I am sure the PDK will be unbelievable. The driveability will be off the charts.

But is that good? I am conflicted.

-B
Very well said.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver First Drive