Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodwood - Ride with AP in the new 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if there is little difference in performance between the GT3 and RS it will be interesting to see the price differential..... coupled with taking things away from the car will be VERY interesting. Was hoping that not only would the RS look differently, it will have a significant performance gap (even if that is down to weight) to justify the likely price hike. Come on Porsche, give us what we really want - a 500HP + demon weighing significantly less than the GT3.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Frayed.

There were some very interesting quotes on that Piston heads thread from two gents who had spoken to AP at length at Goodwood Festival of Speed this weekend gone.

AP stated the actual nominal output of the 991 GT3 is 480-490 bhp.

I believe we will see a return to the 997.1 GT3-RS generational difference. Mostly small weight reduction items, style items, wing & suspension tweaks etc. Definitely PDK only as far as my sources are telling me....

I believe the HP figure and the Ring time are understated for the 991 GT3 to give a "gap" for the GT3RS.

AP states in a conversation that the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 tyre wasn't available in production version until just the last few months and that its a slightly faster tyre in the dry and the Dunlop is slightly better in the wet. This leads us to believe the Ring time of 7.25 was on Dunlop.

I think we will find a few mild massages gives the 991 GT3RS an official HP figure closer to 500 bhp although the real world difference with the GT3 may be less than 18bhp. With MPSC2 production tyres, some small suspension tweaks, a litte weight reduction (stripped out interior) and choosing form the more aggressive end of the test drivers lap times we could see 7.18-7.20 as factory quoted ring time.

IMO what Ive seen to date makes the RS a hard ask at say 30k+ USD over the base GT3....
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought I saw a photo of him as part of the 959 engineering team but realized that probably isn't correct as I'm guessing he is only around 50.
Interestingly, AP is not mentioned in the 2003 edition of "Excellence was Expected" by Karl Ludvigsen. This edition covers product development through the C GT and 996 GT3. Believe there is a newer/updated edition that might shed some light on APs career.

Really like APs conviction. Would be fun and interesting to chat with him.

Quick Reply: Goodwood - Ride with AP in the new 991 GT3