Sponsored by:

Configurator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Configurator Questions

There are a couple of options (to say the least) that have less detail than desired on the configurator. Hoping for some enlightenment...:

1. Instrument Surround in Leather -- where is this? Is the the flat portion in between the 5 dials?

2. 90L fuel tank -- are most of you including this no cost option?

3. PCCB -- beyond stopping power, can you really "feel" a difference in handling / ride quality due to less unsprung weight in the four corners?

4. Alcantara vs Leather wheel -- which will last longer / wear better over time (assuming the driver has, uh, rather sweaty hands...)?

5. What exactly is included with the "full leather" option?

All input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-0Q991
Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Also, if you don't opt for the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara, BUT you already have the "full leather" package, what is the door panel going to look like?

Thanks,
0Q991
Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

1. I assume that is the case but check with your dealer provided they have been trained on the GT3 option list. FWIW, don't feel alone regarding the vague descriptions on the option list. Most of us have the same problem.

2. Most will order this option. A no brainer.

3.Depending on who you talk to PCCB's are either the greatest thing since slice bread or an unnecessary extravagant expense. No doubt the initial bite on the carbon brakes are much better but as to whether one can tell the difference in handling it all depends on the driver. I could not. Most also agree that for track work PCCB's from an expense standpoint are not worth it since very costly to replace.

4. Most agree that the leather steering wheel will wear better and last longer.

5. I also am asking that question but this much i believe I know. The full leather option does NOT include the dash board, doors, center console, leather backs on the bucket seats and leather on the steering column. I deduced this because Porsche charges extra for the items I listed above.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Nick--thanks for the insight.

Doesn't the stitched part of the dash closest to the driver / passenger come with "full leather?"

My assumption was as such since it appears with deviated stitching when "full leather" is selected and when you have the configurator on 3D mode.

Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
5. I also am asking that question but this much i believe I know. The full leather option does NOT include the dash board, doors, center console, leather backs on the bucket seats and leather on the steering column. I deduced this because Porsche charges extra for the items I listed above.
The dashboard is divided into 2 sections; the curved rear part that faces the driver and passenger and covers the instrument cluster, and the forward part, between the rear part and the windshield. In the full leather package the rear part is covered in leather with deviating stitching in gray/silver (or red for extra cost).

With full leather the top section of the doors are covered with leather and the door panels are in alcantera. There is also an added aluminum trim piece on each door. Without full leather, these parts are all vinyl.

Also with full leather the section on the dash below the trim strips is done in alcantera, otherwise it's vinyl.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Mike:

So, with full leather, the "forward" part if the dash is plastic / vinyl (the part closest to the windshield and with all the defroster vents), correct? To get that part in leather, one would have to opt for the $1710 Addition Leather package, right?

I'm confused as to why the configurtor allows you to select full leather AND the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather / Alcantara...

0Q991
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For PCCB, it all depends on your purpose with them. If you are just looking for long brake life on the street, they are great. If you plan to track your car a lot, you will either go with iron brakes or swap your PCCBs with floating rotors. No one who tracks a lot keeps PCCBs on the car. The problem is that on the track they do wear and if you do frequent pad/wheel changes, there is high likelihood of contacting a rotor and chipping one. Not good when the the rotors cost are over $16K a set. Despite the lighter rotational mass, you don't see PCCB cars out performing steel brake cars at the track.

Full leather includes the upper dash with extended alcantara on the lower dash and leather door panels that have extended alcantara in the center.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Thanks, 10 GT3--so with full leather, no need for the $690 Extended Interior, Door Panel package?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Thanks, 10 GT3--so with full leather, no need for the $690 Extended Interior, Door Panel package?
Good question. What does this extended interior door package mean?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Macca -- my dealer isn't clear either.

The description includes the top of the door panel in leather and middle of door panel (adjacent to armrest built into the door...) in Alcantara.

BUT, when you configure a C2S, the description for "full leather" package includes the door panels AND it doesn't warn you of a contradiction if you opt for the $690 Extended Interior, Door Panel package! And in 3D mode, when you only have the "full leather" chosen, the image DOES show the door panel upgrade. Perhaps it is simply a glitch in the configuration such that it does not warn you for a contradiction?

When configuring the GT3, the description if "full leather" is very brief and NOT detailed. But, same as with the C2S, the image shows the door panels and rear dash (portion in top closest to driver / passenger) upgraded to leather. And, also like when configuring the C2S, the system does NOT warn of a contradiction when you subsequently add the Extended Interior package.

I'm hoping that the door panel ARE included with the price of the "full leather" so I can save $690!

0Q991
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Macca -- my dealer isn't clear either.

The description includes the top of the door panel in leather and middle of door panel (adjacent to armrest built into the door...) in Alcantara.

BUT, when you configure a C2S, the description for "full leather" package includes the door panels AND it doesn't warn you of a contradiction if you opt for the $690 Extended Interior, Door Panel package! And in 3D mode, when you only have the "full leather" chosen, the image DOES show the door panel upgrade. Perhaps it is simply a glitch in the configuration such that it does not warn you for a contradiction?

When configuring the GT3, the description if "full leather" is very brief and NOT detailed. But, same as with the C2S, the image shows the door panels and rear dash (portion in top closest to driver / passenger) upgraded to leather. And, also like when configuring the C2S, the system does NOT warn of a contradiction when you subsequently add the Extended Interior package.

I'm hoping that the door panel ARE included with the price of the "full leather" so I can save $690!

0Q991
I don't think it is an error and it is consistent with the UK site which has had that extended leather option for quite some time.

You can't even just choose "CLP - Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara®" by itself. You must first select the full leather interior option for $3,320. That sounds like it is an addition, but I can't figure out exactly what you get since the graphical representation is horrible.

The text is also unclear when you click the info button.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Mcsmcs1-- thanks. That's helpful info. So, basically, if I want the doors in leather / Alcantara, I need to get the package for $690 in addition to the $ for "full leather," correct?

But, the dash top IS included with "full leather" besides the front portion closer to the windshield, right?

Sorry for being so redundant! Just that I find that board members with experience tend to know more than most dealers in my experience.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike:

(A) So, with full leather, the "forward" part if the dash is plastic / vinyl (the part closest to the windshield and with all the defroster vents), correct? To get that part in leather, one would have to opt for the $1710 Addition Leather package, right?

(B) I'm confused as to why the configurator allows you to select full leather AND the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather / Alcantara...

0Q991
(A) Yes, that's right.

(B) The configurator says that the $690 extended Interior Package, Door Panel in leather includes:

Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color
- Upper section of door panel trim
- Interior door mirror pointer
- Door end trim

The door end trim is a small cap piece at the trailing edge of the door that you can't see when the door is closed. I'm not sure what exactly the interior door mirror pointer is. As for the upper section of door panel trim, choose full leather in the configurator. Then look closely at the interior in 3D mode. You will see a thin strip between the alcantera panel and the aluminum trim strip. I'm 90% certain that's the "upper section of door panel trim". Normally that's in vinyl; with the option it comes in leather. The top of the door is already in leather with the full leather option so that strip is really the only piece left to deal with on the door.

It makes sense given Porsche's normal pricing on these items, and the fact that the option is "only" $690, that this option is just for some minor bits.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. I think you have solved my dilemma. I do not need CLP option. I only ordered it because I thought it provided the leather top door cap and also the strip below it in silver but if Im correct this already comes in Full leather option which I also selected?

Cheers
Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a couple of options (to say the least) that have less detail than desired on the configurator. Hoping for some enlightenment...:

1. Instrument Surround in Leather -- where is this? Is the the flat portion in between the 5 dials?

-0Q991
In an email exchange with Melissa at Porsche Exclusive she provided this image:

The orange indicates the area covered by the "Instrument Surround in Leather" option.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Configurator Questions