Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Auto 991 GT3 first drive scans

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be nice but I'm not sure it would fly if th RS offers less weight, more HP , MT but same speed (or less) as the regular gt3.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick
I get the impression that if the 991GT3 was offered with a MT and PDK these initial reviews would rave about the car and claim it to be in a class be itself. However, for now the lack of MT is tainting the car with the press and they cannot objectively see past the lack of MT.
100% agreed and the underlying theme of virtually every post in this forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
That would be nice but I'm not sure it would fly if th RS offers less weight, more HP , MT but same speed (or less) as the regular gt3.
I agree. But that's what the purists are asking for. Personally I think Porsche should give them that in the RS but the RS should never have a PDK option. GT3 will be PDK only. Then we have two products that perform at similar levels that satisfy different audience and everyone is happy. Maybe they can then figure out where they want to go for Generation 2 cars...
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Meh, I want an RS with PDK!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I believe thats actually what you will get!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree. But that's what the purists are asking for. Personally I think Porsche should give them that in the RS but the RS should never have a PDK option. GT3 will be PDK only. Then we have two products that perform at similar levels that satisfy different audience and everyone is happy. Maybe they can then figure out where they want to go for Generation 2 cars...
I understand the sentiment, but I just don't see how Porsche can offer an RS that doesn't exceed the performance of the GT3. With a MT instead of PDK it makes that difficult to do without even more extensive tweaks that will push the cost of the RS still higher.

IMO, they either have to offer both options on the RS (which means a manual box will subsequently be available for the GT3 too....no reason not to once a new 6 speed is developed) or stick to their guns and go with PDK only on the RS.

The point is, whatever rationale was applied to choosing PDK in the GT3 will still apply to the RS. And the GT3 with PDK will sell so well, it will be hard to convince the brass that a MT is now needed to move the RS off showroom floors. Just my $.02.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

RS.2 with manual option. That's what my crystal ball says.

RS.1 will have the turbo widebody and heavily revised suspension setup
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Dude-
Pro

That would be pretty comical if you really think about it. Not that I'm against it but think about this. The new Gt3 RS offers MT, more HP, CF everywhere, hydro steering, no rws, same speed as the reg gt3 but 30k more. I hate to be the marketing guy for that. Guess the only way is MT/pdk-s option.

Maybe a collectors edition with MT might work but we'll all have to go thru this dilemma again when MT is taken out in future models.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Meh, I want an RS with PDK!
You also have to turn in your man card
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
That would be pretty comical if you really think about it. Not that I'm against it but think about this. The new Gt3 RS offers MT, more HP, CF everywhere, hydro steering, no rws, same speed as the reg gt3 but 30k more. I hate to be the marketing guy for that. Guess the only way is MT/pdk-s option.

Maybe a collectors edition with MT might work but we'll all have to go thru this dilemma again when MT is taken out in future models.
That in a nutshell is the problem. Give the enthusiast the old technology they clamor for, charge them more for it and have the lesser and cheaper model spank it in performance.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

RS will have a "ltd" run of MT...anyone remember New Coke ?

Bill
Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I agree its a dilemma. Its to late for the 991.1 GT3 to be anything but PDK. That is a fact. Porsche could make a PDK only GT3RS (which was there plan as of a few months ago as I understand it) and it would sell out. So that means a MT option would be only to satisfy the journalists and purists. The thing is the RS run is even smaller in numbers than the base GT3 so I cant see them doubling down on development costs for this iteration/generation. Id say its the domain of generation 2 cars which gives Porsche and their audience plenty of time to get used to the PDK and perhaps even learn to love it...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
MChanMD
8th Gear

If the cup cars don't have traditional manuals, then I suspect the road cars will slowly move away from the manual transmission completely. Unfortunate.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
Yeah, durability still a ? Other manufacturers have proven durability with really fast piston speeds (which means more than rpm), such as Honda. We don't know if PAG got this right. For street, sure. The amount of time hanging out at 9k rpm is very low. But for tracked cars, especially with PDK in the mix cars will live at 6000 rpm to 9000 rpm a lot of the time.

As you say, 7.30 is still hauling butt. Your assessment of performance based on Porsche's recent history on laptimes is completely sound. The rumor mill, however, keeps mentioning that the PAG is sandbagging that time to keep an adequate spread b/t the GT3 and the RS.

It will be interesting to see how all this unfolds. Like I've said in the past, the ring times are largely academic b/c the quality of the drive, the driver/car connection is far more important than ring times.

-------------------------

Anyway, the Sport Auto article also mentioned that the new chassis is so good that now it's far easier to explore the car's limits. This is either good or bad depending on perspective. IMO, the advanced electronics and associated mechanical refinements have all but tamed the rear engined-ness of the 911 (based on my drive of the 991S), which contributes to 'accessibility'. I remain a bit conflicted on this b/c I missed the 911's charm in the 991, but at the same time I still love my well balanced and accessible E36 M3.
fully agreed.. & please keep your turbo 3.6..if you sell it to "finance" the 991 GT3..I would get really mad. If your budget permits, I would add to that a 997 GT3, or 997 Gt3RS...like this you can be sure that youre whole collection is performing like good stocks..slowly increasing in value.

PS: The M3 E96 is the last real BMW´s for me..after that the company just went down...for me at least..
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
100% agreed and the underlying theme of virtually every post in this forum.
not only here...but who´s mistake is it? Its not RL´s or its users mistake. Porsche offered for 15 years manual..suddenly not anymore. If they had Pdk only in the first 996 GT3..this discussion wouldnt be here..

Its like going to starbucks and not getting a coffee anymore...but being served a burger..just imagine the reaction it would cause on facebook. Compared to these social media reactions...RL is still very very quite here..

I didnt expect Sport Auto to use such drastic words..but I would like to thank them for doing so.

Humans makes misatkes..but its time for Porsche to correct its mistake and offer both options. On the performance difference, if the PdK is 30Kg heavier thats already something..if they would offer the manual only as a CS option..with some other lightweight options, maybe a slightly more radical suspension setup..performance would be the same...and everybody would be happy..win - win for all of us.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto 991 GT3 first drive scans