Sponsored by:

Killing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
If the previous owners of GT3's wanted PDK-S over Manual transmissions and were concerned with shaving tenths of a second on the track -- they'd all be driving GTR's instead. Porsche is selling the NAME of their Motorsport car to a new market - the well-off masses. Will some former GT3 buyers decide they could go along with this new faster package -- of course. Will some of them prefer it? -- of course. ...but if that's the case the old GT3 probably wasn't the car for them in the first place (assuming their circumstances haven't changed)...
OK - I have a 997 GT3 I plan on keeping indefinitely, I have no interest in a GT-R, and I am on my dealer's list for a 991 GT3. Where do I fit in to your hypothesis?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts

This is a pretty example of an automatic in action. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. Straight cut gears whine nicely! The "amplified" hand brake for rotation is probably not such a good idea on a street car.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
If the previous owners of GT3's wanted PDK-S over Manual transmissions and were concerned with shaving tenths of a second on the track -- they'd all be driving GTR's instead. Porsche is selling the NAME of their Motorsport car to a new market - the well-off masses. Will some former GT3 buyers decide they could go along with this new faster package -- of course. Will some of them prefer it? -- of course. ...but if that's the case the old GT3 probably wasn't the car for them in the first place (assuming their circumstances haven't changed)...
The well off masses? The masses are not well off, and anyone who purchaed a new 997 GT3 was not exactly pinching pennies and clipping coupons.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
OK - I have a 997 GT3 I plan on keeping indefinitely, I have no interest in a GT-R, and I am on my dealer's list for a 991 GT3. Where do I fit in to your hypothesis?
One of the guys that owns two Porsches suitable for separate purposes like any other number of guys on here.

...or a VW employee

Last edited by destaccado; 06-04-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
The well off masses? The masses are not well off, and anyone who purchaed a new 997 GT3 was not exactly pinching pennies and clipping coupons.
No the "masses" are not well off but there are "masses" of well-off people
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Lets be honest with ourselves.

No one on this forum (or only a few people at most) has even driven the 991 GT3.

Thinking that you want a manual without even trying the PDK is just plane short sighted. As far as what Porsche has shown us, the GT3 PDK is down right fabulous.

If after you try it and just can't come to terms with it, get a techie to install a "clutch" pedal that your lazy left foot can play with and pretend to have a clutch. That way you can have it both ways!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

If the "clutch" pedal actually activates both paddles it will work like a clutch =)
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Didn't know which Forum to post this .... but TopGear gets clever by making fun of the PDK. "Slip into the 911, and that huge price premium is instantly explained. Our test car boasts a cutting-edge, state-of-the-art technology found on only top-end exotica: a manual gearbox" In fact, TopGear suggest we all should be driving a Boxster with a MT. Good article to read.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/jag...ear-2013-06-07
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Didn't know which Forum to post this .... but TopGear gets clever by making fun of the PDK. "Slip into the 911, and that huge price premium is instantly explained. Our test car boasts a cutting-edge, state-of-the-art technology found on only top-end exotica: a manual gearbox" In fact, TopGear suggest we all should be driving a Boxster with a MT. Good article to read.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/jag...ear-2013-06-07
I love Top Gear, but if you took Jeremy Clarkson's advice you never buy any 911 regardless of gearbox anyway. He hates 'em.....
Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boxster S and cayman S are brilliant drives. No doubt. I'd pick either over a base 991, and quite possibly a 991S.

I wish the cayman had the boxster's rear flanks though.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
The boxster S and cayman S are brilliant drives. No doubt. I'd pick either over a base 991, and quite possibly a 991S.

I wish the cayman had the boxster's rear flanks though.
Amen. My wife has a 2012 Boxster S and when she lets me drive it, I am blown away by what a fine handling car it is. I have been fortunately enough to own and drive many fine sport cars and I do not find any of them better in handling including the Carrera GT.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
A word on Chris Harris: so far I liked him also a lot..but two things:

1) he praised the new boxster so much that I drove it - was a nice car, good looking..but definately lacks serious power. Im talking about the S...this car is certainly not as overwhelming as he mentioned it to be.
I think the new boxster is brilliant. Opinions differ among enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
2) His cars: fine - bought a 4.0 - that went up in value..good decision..then bought a 599..probably lost a big chunk of money there..next he will end up with a GTr, then a boxster and then at the end with a chevy. I know Im exxagerating..but unless he buys back a 4.0 or 458 he certainly went down the ladder. Probably with each car he will have/own now, he will loose money.until its completely gone - somthing that didnt happen with the 4.0. What Im trying to say, Harris maybe a real car nut...but probably not the best investor....but hey..Im asking for too much..
Not sure why this is relevant to his writings as an automotive journalist?

I've seen it on this forum and seems to underlie your post; people are upset that he sold the legendary, otherworldly 4.0 for a mere fiat boulevard cruiser.

Maybe he knew the new GT3 was going to be faster? Or maybe he felt the 4.0 too compromised to truly enjoy every day? He wanted less boy racer? Something his hot chick would like to ride in?

Who knows. Not relevant IMO.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sithot wrote :
This is a pretty example of an automatic in action. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. Straight cut gears whine nicely! The "amplified" hand brake for rotation is probably not such a good idea on a street car.
This is a fabulous ride, very solid guts to do "that" just a few inches of all these wood stoppers.
By the way, Sithot, this is not an automatic, but simply a (great) sequential gear box (You keep the (right) pedal to the metal, you pull (hard), and it shift up. To shift down, if you "know", (and be in the right rpm) you do not clutch and push (hard) to gear down, if you do not know for sure, ..than, you better clutch to gear down, because being out of the correct rpm, in such type of case, will send you to say hello to the tree extremely rapidly.
Btw, I would think that the same gearbox with paddle command, would enable this (great) driver (with big guts) to be even more efficient.
Super great video, kudos.

But again, I'm sure that I would love SPORT PDK, even more than I love real sequential gearbox on tracks, but, frankly, on open roads, where you do not have much to do, PDK is for me, simply a fun remover:
On tracks : YES, big times, BUT PDK on open roads : NO-NO-NO,
..That the way I look at it.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-10-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LqVUwLD3_c&feature=player_embedded
That is so beautiful I cried a bit.

Quick Reply: Killing the PDK