Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Intro: 991 GT3 - Summer 2014-European Delivery.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
agree totally..the 991S at 130 is complete nonsense. Its better to take a GT3..

You should have kept the 3.8 and add a 991 GT3 to that..like this you would have all. Last manual GT3 + first PDK GT3. ..
+1. That's the plan have the best of the last gen... The best of the new tech

Keep the .2 RS as a dedicated track car, heel toe fix, safety etc
Get the 991 GT3 for dinner, C&C, leave it in Drive on the way to occasional track day
Sell RS in 2016 for slightly used 991 RS... In the meantime pu a cayman cup n go racing???

Anyway that's the plan..
Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

You guys are in a different league...

...me, I just want to surprise me poor old dad, blast around Europe for a few weeks, have this thing fit in my garage, drive on weekends and a few track days, and sell after a year not having lost too much cash on consumables and depreciation. I know, poser.. Charlatan... Newbie... But man I'm looking forward to this :-)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You guys are in a different league...

...me, I just want to surprise me poor old dad, blast around Europe for a few weeks, have this thing fit in my garage, drive on weekends and a few track days, and sell after a year not having lost too much cash on consumables and depreciation. I know, poser.. Charlatan... Newbie... But man I'm looking forward to this :-)
Figure you'll lose the tax plus 15-20% from MSRP the first year. Nobody is calling anyone any names for simply liking the new car -- it has plenty of pluses over the old models that I believe make it a much better everyday street car. Enjoy in good health.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Prices have definitely moved up. Arguably too much.
Agreed that when comparing a "similarly" optioned C2S to a GT3 you absolutely should go the GT3 route. If you don't need rear seats of course...
That said, these are not extremely low production cars, so lets see on depreciation. If you want low depreciation, buy a low volume older car.
On stitching, seat belt combination. Looks great. Agreed that dials are too much. Just make sure you tick all the stitching options (is this an issue with GT3?)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
chmura
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say go for it and buy a new GT3 and do the European Delivery. You only live once.

Actually 2 years ago I did BMW's European Delivery and picked up my new 2011 BMW M3 Sedan in Munich Germany.

I went to the Nurburgring, Stuggart (Porsche Museum), Had a Porsche factory tour scheduled but missed it.

Had an amazing time in Europe in my M3.

My wife and I had such an amazing time in Europe that I sold my M3 few months ago and I am planning on doing another European Delivery soon!

Wish one day I can do a European Delivery on a Porsche GT3. My dream car.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Figure you'll lose the tax plus 15-20% from MSRP the first year. Nobody is calling anyone any names for simply liking the new car -- it has plenty of pluses over the old models that I believe make it a much better everyday street car. Enjoy in good health.
doubt it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Only reason to buy new these days is Euro delivery....
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Only reason to buy new these days is Euro delivery....
Agree! And I'm planning for it but don't know yet whether I should get a 2014 next summer or wait just a bit longer and get a 2015. Really don't want to be a guinea pig for the first iteration...
Here are my two questions for the folks here that are considering or have firm plans to do ED on the 991GT3...
1) Does anyone have a good contact/reference (like having it done before) on a WRAP (partial or full) before one takes the car on the Europe trip. Looking at many of my cars that don't have the wrap and compare that to my GT3 which has a "half"-wrap, it's like night and day, no chips no nothing, just beautiful!
2) Is there a way to have the Germans (Porsche or otherwise) be amenable to using the "tow hook-mount" (Rennlist etc.) contraption for the license-plate while driving in Europe? I REALLY don't want two holes in my bumper...
Tx, Horst.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Horstair
Agree! And I'm planning for it but don't know yet whether I should get a 2014 next summer or wait just a bit longer and get a 2015. Really don't want to be a guinea pig for the first iteration...
Here are my two questions for the folks here that are considering or have firm plans to do ED on the 991GT3...
1) Does anyone have a good contact/reference (like having it done before) on a WRAP (partial or full) before one takes the car on the Europe trip. Looking at many of my cars that don't have the wrap and compare that to my GT3 which has a "half"-wrap, it's like night and day, no chips no nothing, just beautiful!
2) Is there a way to have the Germans (Porsche or otherwise) be amenable to using the "tow hook-mount" (Rennlist etc.) contraption for the license-plate while driving in Europe? I REALLY don't want two holes in my bumper...
Tx, Horst.
Hey Horst,

1.) Most Porsche dealers over here can do this for you. Just like in the States they sub it out to a third party pro that comes to the shop to put it on but do yourself a favor and call well in advance for an appointment. You might want to do this right in Stuttgart before you hit the Autobahn but if you can't wait to drive and are heading south PM me and I'll hook you up with my dealer here in Munich. They do it all the time.

2.) I thought about this exact same thing but was talked out of it because it is not TÜV approved and I didn't want to get hassled. You'll be driving on Touristfahren plates so they might let you get away with it. I would bring it with you and give it a shot and if stays attached in 7th gear when red lining please let us know .
Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
chmura
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Horstair
Tx, Horst.
I am going off my BMW European Delivery experience that I need with my M3 1.5 years ago.

1. I was worried about this also when I picked up my M3. I put on 900 miles on my M3 in Europe with lots of miles over 100 mph. I did not get a single rock chip. Autobahn expressways are extremely clean, no debris or anything on the roads. I was very surprised by this.

2. BMW on every European Delivery puts on the temporary front license plate with double sided 3M tape. They do not drill into the front bumper. This is standard protocol and makes owners very very happy. I would think Porsche does the same?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm really glad someone mentioned wrap.

For the sake of maintaining the paint for resale, and also for a fun vanity project, I was goi too ask if anyone who had done ED had wrapped their car before driving off anywhere significant.

Also, I was going to find out if they sell plasti-dip in Europe, If not id have to bring four cans over and remove wheels and plasti-dip them before driving too far from factory. If anyone doesn't know what plasti-dip is, it's a plastic spray you can put on wheels, comes off totally clean like a balloon skin if you get your nail in it. While some people pay Porsche or other OEM's $xxxx for black paint, I protect my wheels and make them black myself for $20 and 2 hrs of my time. (Pic of my wagon attached)

I'm thinking ill wrap the gt3 in flat military green and plasti-dip wheels black.. Just for the effect.. While keeping perfect paint and wheels underneath.

Quick search shows a bunch of wrap places close to Leipzig factory... The beauty is you can do something outrageous and enjoy it for awhile, then remove... How about with Martini stripes and plasti-dip black wheels?.. Total cup car replica
Attached Images    

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Unless the drill (pun intended) has changed since 2009, the tourist plates are mounted with bolts and holes in the bumper not tape. I suspect that the rounded nose on a 911, unlike the flat bumper surface on a BMW, makes tape a non-viable option.

The problem with bringing a tow hook mount just in case is that by the time you show up at the delivery center, your car is already waiting for you with the holes drilled and the plate mounted. You'd have to make arrangements ahead of time and has been mentioned since the tow hook mount has almost certainly not passed TUV standards, I doubt they would let you use it.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I hear you Mike but can we do SOMETHING to be more proactive? You're usually the guy with the "gusto"...?? Nothing on this one? You're just gonna let them drill holes? Come on, we can do better than that. If we as a group put pressure on Porsche (yes I know, that's not possible...yes it is, communicate, communicate, communicate...) it will happen. I know personally of a guy in Germany (not ED) that was allowed the "stick-on" version on his Ferrari... So it IS possible... Let's be a little more aggressive here, okay? Horst.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm really glad someone mentioned wrap.

For the sake of maintaining the paint for resale, and also for a fun vanity project, I was goi too ask if anyone who had done ED had wrapped their car before driving off anywhere significant.

Also, I was going to find out if they sell plasti-dip in Europe, If not id have to bring four cans over and remove wheels and plasti-dip them before driving too far from factory. If anyone doesn't know what plasti-dip is, it's a plastic spray you can put on wheels, comes off totally clean like a balloon skin if you get your nail in it. While some people pay Porsche or other OEM's $xxxx for black paint, I protect my wheels and make them black myself for $20 and 2 hrs of my time. (Pic of my wagon attached)

I'm thinking ill wrap the gt3 in flat military green and plasti-dip wheels black.. Just for the effect.. While keeping perfect paint and wheels underneath.

Quick search shows a bunch of wrap places close to Leipzig factory... The beauty is you can do something outrageous and enjoy it for awhile, then remove... How about with Martini stripes and plasti-dip black wheels?.. Total cup car replica
I love the idea of Martini Stripes down the center of a white 991 GT3. I am having the standard rear sport seats vinyl wrapped the same colour as the exterior of the car ($200 a seat). Also the "Porsche script removed asap with a hairdryer and fishing line - very easy). I will plastic dip the wheels matt black to see if I like that look but I think the titanium finish is nice enough against the white. I will also have the rear bumper reflectors coated white translucent (so they still work to some degree but are less ugly red against white). I sure the aftermarket guys will have white reflectors out soon enough...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

I'm working through PCNA and the euro delivery folks to see if they will bite on using a tow hook mounted frame for the front plate, noting that it has to be shipped there in advance of delivery.

But it's a bit premature at the moment b/c we don't have allocations yet! Ugh.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro: 991 GT3 - Summer 2014-European Delivery.