Sponsored by:

Bucket seats in the 991GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
That looks spectacular. My wannabe GT3 will look amazing parked at Zur Schwane.
Don't worry about the "wanna be" part. My wanna be GT3 runs just fine but remember I am offically the 1st "wanna be gt3" around here.

*note my signature!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm thinking RS option introduction (or GT-2) in the US Didn't i say something about the PDK for the GT3 and the 4.0 a while back .
I have nothing to back that of course, same as last time.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

GT3 talk with pics of food....Rennlist is getting even better!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
i'm thinking RS option introduction (or GT-2) in the US Didn't i say something about the PDK for the GT3 and the 4.0 a while back .
I have nothing to back that of course, same as last time.
sorry not sure I understand?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

sigh go spec a car on the GB configurator - spec the sports buckets (which are identical to the "old" ones) with the clubsport package ...

it basically sucks that we dont have this option... "GT3" logo on the seat back is cool ...

on a related thread, since the GT3 is now based on the "S" body, that wont be a distinguishing feature for any future RS ... so presumably they will have to breathe on the engine, chassis, aero etc

Given the tenor of AP's remarks upon the development process for the transmission, I'm very skeptical that any RS will have anything other than the GT3 PDK setup... I'm just sayin
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
sigh go spec a car on the GB configurator - spec the sports buckets (which are identical to the "old" ones) with the clubsport package ...

it basically sucks that we dont have this option... "GT3" logo on the seat back is cool ...

on a related thread, since the GT3 is now based on the "S" body, that wont be a distinguishing feature for any future RS ... so presumably they will have to breathe on the engine, chassis, aero etc

Given the tenor of AP's remarks upon the development process for the transmission, I'm very skeptical that any RS will have anything other than the GT3 PDK setup... I'm just sayin
I think the 991 GT3 got the widebody? I've been drinking jesus juice this eve so maybe I'm off teh mark
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Larry means its based on the c4(s) wide body.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
frayed
Race Car

Oh OK. Too much stripper glitter and tequila.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Larry means its based on the c4(s) wide body.
thanks! - I should have been clearer!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

What's the latest word on getting proper track seats for the car? I'm coming to terms with PDK, so the seat is the main thing holding me back at this point. Would expect to track the car at least 25 days a year, instructor-level, so track seats, harnesses, etc. are a must.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
What's the latest word on getting proper track seats for the car? I'm coming to terms with PDK, so the seat is the main thing holding me back at this point. Would expect to track the car at least 25 days a year, instructor-level, so track seats, harnesses, etc. are a must.
My $0.02; the car is currently offered in RoW with (a variant of) the pre-existing (GT2) Sports Buckets as either a seating option or as part of the Clubsport package. (go look at the GB car configurator)

It would seem that the (GT2) Sports buckets (991 variants) are either no longer DoT compliant or PCNA has decided for business reasons not to offer them as options here in N.A. Who knows which?

In my opinion this means that there will continue to be no N.A option for such seats available from PCNA, (unless something changes) therefore you
will have to purchase them "aftermarket" from the likes of Carnewall/Suncoast if you want them.

Based upon the pricing of the existing Sports Buckets (which are apparently not electrically compatible with the 991) I would guess a set of these will run between $6-9k for a pair.

If another seat is under design (for an RS model) if it is "fixed" back design then I doubt it will come to N.A as none of the previous such seats have, again for either compliance or business reasons, made it here as a specifiable option, only as "aftermarket" again from dealers... perhaps Porsche intend to bring the Sports Bucket (variants) into N.A as an RS option only?

Should any future seat be produced it *may* be offered on the N.A GT3 ... I personally doubt it...

In short, if *NO* sport seat option was available RoW I would *hope* that a global seat was under development for future release, since the Sports Buckets are an RoW option, I believe we are waiting for a new seats, except perhaps with the RS variant ...
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Just posted this at mdrums 'Fail' thread.

"I ran this morning into Detlev von Platen, CEO of PCNA, at the Le Meridien Hotel in Stuttgart where we were both staying. I was there for the start of my 10 day '2013 Guys Only Tour' - I visited the Audi R8 assembly plant at Neckarsulm yesterday and went to the Porsche Museum today - and Detlev was there on one of his regular visits to headquarters! I have met Detlev three times before - at the 2009 & 2012 PCA Parade and IV Rennsport at Laguna! He specifically remembered my 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa, which won the coveted 'Honorary Judges Choice' trophy at the '12 Parade. He was one of three judges that made that selection among all cars entered at the Concours. The other two judges were Dr. Wolfgang Porsche and Hans Peter Porsche who were also attending the Parade! So my Porsche enthusiast 'bona fides' established, I proceeded to go from pleasant small talk to the question that many on this forum have been concerned with since Geneva '13!

I asked him point blank about the lack of a sport bucket seat option on the US 991 gt3. He said they are working on it and will be providing a seat in approx. one year's time for our market! I asked if it would coincide with the introduction of the gt3 RS in the US. He smiled and said 'yes' and 'don't tell anyone'. So I want you all to keep it 'secret', ok!

I asked why PCNA didn't get the bucket seat certified for the MY2014 gt3. He said that there were some issues re: folding aspect of the 'gt2' sport bucket seat that was causing problems. To make sure he understood I was not an easy mark, I told him that my 2012 Spyder had a folding 'gt2' seat that was fully certified for the US and it looked identical to the European 'gt2' sport bucket seats I had seen last week on a MY2013 German 991 at Zuffenhausen (photo attached). He quickly had a comeback - US regulations had changed and that seat (as was optioned in MY2012 in the US) could not be offered on the 991/981 without modification. And that is what they were working on! I report...you decide!

The fact that he assured me that a sport buckets would appear on the US 991 gt3 RS (probable MY2015) is consistent with what some of us (e.g. me) have been saying for a while on this forum! Why PCNA didn't anticipate the problems with the changing US certification rules, I'll let you ponder on that matter! As many of you know, I have a theory as to why PCNA 'fumbled' the ball! Regardless my private speculation, this is Detlev's version of the sport bucket seat 'question' as of this morning and I take him at his word!

After this private talk at the breakfast buffet at Le Meridien, Detlev was approached by the tour organizer - Steve Austin - and asked to say a few words to our travel contingent of 23 Americans (which include at least 10 Porsche owners!). He stepped into our tour bus just before we left for the Porscheplatz and used the microphone to address our small group. Interestingly, he said the purpose of this particular trip this week was to go to Weissach and test drive some of the 'exciting' new products that PCNA will have to sell to us in the USA within the next few years! I suspect the 991 gt3 RS will be one of them!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently now in Munich"
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

'2013 Guys Only Tour'
Its called "mancation"

Great trip you are having Eduardo, thanks for posting.
I never had any doubt the RS would come without proper seats..
Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Just posted this at mdrums 'Fail' thread.

"...
I asked him point blank about the lack of a sport bucket seat option on the US 991 gt3. He said they are working on it and will be providing a seat in approx. one year's time for our market! I asked if it would coincide with the introduction of the gt3 RS in the US. He smiled and said 'yes' and 'don't tell anyone'. So I want you all to keep it 'secret', ok!

I asked why PCNA didn't get the bucket seat certified for the MY2014 gt3. He said that there were some issues re: folding aspect of the 'gt2' sport bucket seat that was causing problems. To make sure he understood I was not an easy mark, I told him that my 2012 Spyder had a folding 'gt2' seat that was fully certified for the US and it looked identical to the European 'gt2' sport bucket seats I had seen last week on a MY2013 German 991 at Zuffenhausen (photo attached). He quickly had a comeback - US regulations had changed and that seat (as was optioned in MY2012 in the US) could not be offered on the 991/981 without modification. And that is what they were working on! I report...you decide!

The fact that he assured me that a sport buckets would appear on the US 991 gt3 RS (probable MY2015) is consistent with what some of us (e.g. me) have been saying for a while on this forum! Why PCNA didn't anticipate the problems with the changing US certification rules, I'll let you ponder on that matter! As many of you know, I have a theory as to why PCNA 'fumbled' the ball! Regardless my private speculation, this is Detlev's version of the sport bucket seat 'question' as of this morning and I take him at his word!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently now in Munich"

Great news Eduardo ...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I ran this morning into Detlev von Platen, CEO of PCNA,

After this private talk at the breakfast buffet at Le Meridien, Detlev was approached by the tour organizer - Steve Austin - and asked to say a few words to our travel contingent of 23 Americans (which include at least 10 Porsche owners!). He stepped into our tour bus just before we left for the Porscheplatz and used the microphone to address our small group. Interestingly, he said the purpose of this particular trip this week was to go to Weissach and test drive some of the 'exciting' new products that PCNA will have to sell to us in the USA within the next few years! I suspect the 991 gt3 RS will be one of them!
It's a powerful capability in the repertoire of a CEO to be literally hands on with product and customer alike. That he could talk comfortably from first hand information and be confident and fully informed of related factors suggests he's not just a bureaucrat. This is a ray of sunlight in the cloudy skies of Porsche!

In my years as a "due diligence" tech person for M&A in Silicon Valley over the course of the last three decades, I developed a system for scoring ("points factor evaluation" for those in this game) which put considerable weight on factors related to executive "C3" team, especially hands-on product knowledge and customer involvement. I remember being one of the very few naysayers in an 8 figure acquisition where my principal objection centered around the CEO not having the product installed on his laptop.

That the Porsche CEO is intimately familiar with such a trivial (sorry, but seats are relatively trivial in the grand scheme of running Porsche!) matter and be confident in his awareness and control of the situation bodes well for Porsche AG.

I envisage him as someone who drives the 991 (sedately or vigorously, no matter) and congratulates the team on a resounding success then promptly reports the shortcomings he sees to be addressed in the .2 model year.

As for PCNA, it's SNAFU -- rather than be vocal customer advocates and offer solutions or at the very least, know the facts and communicate directly to the market, they bury their collective heads and encourage customers to consider which of the wildly overpriced headlight options is the most "visually impactful design aesthetic language" ... sheesh.

Quick Reply: Bucket seats in the 991GT3