Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche start listening to your customers, as BMW does.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche start listening to your customers, as BMW does.

http://jalopnik.com/bmw-to-let-you-m...ium=socialflow
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Hubris is my very favorite sin in a car company...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hubris is my very favorite sin in a car company...
You think they learned from the previous M5 fiasco in the USA

Peter
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go BMW!!! Now let's hope they put a legit manual in it and not that bootleg thing they put in the E60.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Soon manual transmissions will be renamed "US market" while dual clutch will be "ROW."
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Wonder if Porsche will get the message.
I've purchased 2 BMW's in the past month, and dumped one POS Cayenne

wsh
Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

funny thing is that BMW havent made a decent M3 in some time that wasnt heavy as a pig and useless on the track when compared to a 911.....

their answer has been the Z4 or what ever they are called nowadays.....
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, I played ball. Love my 2013 6mt M5
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

The Porsche dealers across the country are ultimately who sold us out. The "voice" of the customer to Porsche is effectively our dealers, and I found out from my local dealer that they were given a "questionnaire" from Porsche about the manual transmission and how the customer would react to it going away. The dealers basically told Porsche not to worry about, and that they could sell more cars if it was PDK only, for no more reason than that they wanted to also sell more cars via the double clutch. It was greed on the part of all our dealers who ultimately sold us out. This came straight from the GM of my local dealer. Pretty upsetting actually.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
The Porsche dealers across the country are ultimately who sold us out. The "voice" of the customer to Porsche is effectively our dealers, and I found out from my local dealer that they were given a "questionnaire" from Porsche about the manual transmission and how the customer would react to it going away. The dealers basically told Porsche not to worry about, and that they could sell more cars if it was PDK only, for no more reason than that they wanted to also sell more cars via the double clutch. It was greed on the part of all our dealers who ultimately sold us out. This came straight from the GM of my local dealer. Pretty upsetting actually.
Welcome to the ugly side of capitalism ...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

While, as a new customer of Porsche, I feel a bit betrayed with the change in direction on certain values I have....BMW has totally lost the plot. They have softened their m cars to the point that they no longer appeal, and gone are the days of bespoke normally aspirated engines.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
While, as a new customer of Porsche, I feel a bit betrayed with the change in direction on certain values I have....BMW has totally lost the plot. They have softened their m cars to the point that they no longer appeal, and gone are the days of bespoke normally aspirated engines.
Agreed that BMW has piled on the pork on the M3 that is why my Z4M will probably be my last M car. No nannies and high reving S54 with the worst rear vision of any car I have ever driven.

Peter
Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Upsetting, but not surprising.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

BMW is interesting - they are turning into Toyota in some aspects (less soul more practicality), but are brilliant in the others. Most of their cars are amazing value compared to other luxury performance brands. And their marketing is indeed listening to the community - for example, they borrowed a page out of aftermarket book by offering relatively cheap "powerkits" on most models - software plus intake and sometimes added cooling.

BUT, probably because of pressure to perform financially in the near term, they are cashing in on the brand too much by making soft and practical cars that sell well, while taking a penalty in the future in the form of losing the performance and exhilaration attributes of the brad that allow them to sell cars now. So they are practically taking second mortgage on their brand value, which will likely bite them in the *** in few years. But now they cash in on both the practicality and value of current/upcoming vehicles and the brand halo of the past/outgoing ones - good for financial results in short term.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
BUT, probably because of pressure to perform financially in the near term, they are cashing in on the brand too much by making soft and practical cars that sell well, while taking a penalty in the future in the form of losing the performance and exhilaration attributes of the brad that allow them to sell cars now. So they are practically taking second mortgage on their brand value, which will likely bite them in the *** in few years. But now they cash in on both the practicality and value of current/upcoming vehicles and the brand halo of the past/outgoing ones - good for financial results in short term.
Isn't that what Porsche is doing?

Quick Reply: Porsche start listening to your customers, as BMW does.