Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Here is a review by Dan Neil. Get a pair of Lucchese boots to go with the Longhorn edition.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...-crew-cab-4x4/
We can all agree on Lucchese boots. I have a closet full.

I will also concede that the Cummins is the best of the LDT diesels. That said, I've had two Powerstrokes that I put about 100K each on and never had a single problem. About half of that mileage was towing a 15K lb 5th wheel. The rest of the Super Duty is absolutely brilliant for what it is.

Don't need the SD anymore so I currently have an 07 F150 KR which has also been flawless, but is getting long in the tooth. I looked at the new Dodge a few months ago. It's nice, but still feels a little flimsy compared to my Ford, and that interior is just too over the top for me.

I've decided to wait and see if the rumors are true about a new F150 this Fall. If not I'm going with an F150 Platinum. That's a nice truck.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I got the Lucchese...to go with my R8 Spyder! It had deviating stitching. I don't own or want a truck. Where did I go wrong?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo: Lucchese and Trucks go together, just like 991 GT3, PDK, CL, RWS. Lucchese should absolutely refuse to sell you a pair of boots unless you own a truck, preferably a Diesel.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
SSST
Drifting

I drive my Porsche in my Luccheses all the time. Roper style boots work best for proper heel/toe execution.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I stopped in Sacramento and had a sit in a 2013 Laramie Longhorn (oh brother, the corny naming ...) with the air suspension, 8 cylinder with deactivation, 8 speed, active aero shutters, cargo boxes in the side of the bed. It seems years ahead of the Ford F150 (that out-sells it about 1000 to 1 ...) Quite impressive all round, though the silly cabin decorations are bit off. Reviews give it "near luxury car" ride quality and cabin NVH. That sounds lot better than a Super Duty! The claim to fame of the luxury $65K Super Duty is "you don't have to wear the kidney belt for short trips."

The only problem being, they just don't have too many Dodge/RAM dealers around here and the few new RAM 1500 things that have made it to the local dealers, are low end equipment spec. I think most RAM buyers look at $40K+ as astonishingly expensive.

The pickup segment is the only thing keeping the US auto makers alive and it's by far their fattest margins and least knowledge customer paying through the nose, not Internet price shopping.
That 2013 was not a dually right? I doubt they have air suspension. But I dont know much, the RAM website has not been updated. I need to call a dealer to find out if I can drive one. I did not know they built them yet. Thanks

You do get 10-15K off.
I thing the Lariat is just fine, no goofy names for me.

Originally Posted by SSST
The sheet metal on a Ram bed is so thin it only has one side. No one who actually uses their truck as a truck buys a Ram. Look at the fleet buyers of work trucks. You don't see many Rams in commercial fleets. It's not because Fords are cheaper than Rams. It's because the TCO over the useful life is lower.
LINE-X, you have to do the 100Gal aux tank anyway, so while you're at it..
Most car carriers (Called Hotshot drivers) that I see towing 3-4 cars state to state, basically truckers without the CDL license for a big rig use Dodges.

They are prime buyers of my used ones :-)

I got the Lucchese...to go with my R8 Spyder! It had deviating stitching. I don't own or want a truck. Where did I go wrong?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Lucchese WTH? Boots, really?

Originally Posted by mooty
u need to drive more. 3.5 years 95000 mile 09 duramax. zero problems.
beside chev/gmc, i would do dodge over fordie.

btw, i love p cars. but they are facing some very serious competition. i dont know much much about viper. but a stock 2012 z06 is not slower than 4.0RS. add 10k for brakes and 10k for shocks. i am not sure the 4.0RS has a chance.

in florida appraently z06 blows up. but here in nor cal, the z06 are just fine.

the boss 302S/R are also bloody good.

I'm about to go drive Dodge a lot this summer, have to see if I can buy a new one before my road trips...
We tried Boss and it died after a weekend, you are right about Z06.
Tracking Sebring is like tracking +. You need to come here for a weekend to feel it. Everything breakes. Everything. 4.0 is the coolest car, but the crappy plastic crap cans that feel like trucks are the fast ones.

Originally Posted by savyboy
Personally I am not a fan of the "Longhorn" edition, I ordered the "Laramie" which loses the crazy stitching and saddlebags, and all the crap while keeping a high-level interior trim. With that said the review was more about "Hey I am Dan Neil, watch me pretend I know something about reviewing vehicles". This is another of his screeds high in BS and low in quality and objectivity.

Folks shopping for a pickup truck would be well served to dig deeply on researching the new RAM trucks. The 1500 is a real Cayenne alternative (for some of us) for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a Cayenne.

Eduardo, you have really been hitting the ball out of the park the past few months on the forum Another gem!
Dont forget the Jeep Grand Cherokee as a Cayenne alternative. I like Dodge, I get in and I know how it all works without manual. Not a drive goes by that I dont curse out my wife 2011BMW with all that techno **** inside that can do a lot more, if you'd only figure it all out.

We can all agree on Lucchese boots. I have a closet full.

I will also concede that the Cummins is the best of the LDT diesels. That said, I've had two Powerstrokes that I put about 100K each on and never had a single problem. About half of that mileage was towing a 15K lb 5th wheel. The rest of the Super Duty is absolutely brilliant for what it is.

Don't need the SD anymore so I currently have an 07 F150 KR which has also been flawless, but is getting long in the tooth. I looked at the new Dodge a few months ago. It's nice, but still feels a little flimsy compared to my Ford, and that Laramie interior is just too over the top for me.

I've decided to wait and see if the rumors are true about a new F150 this Fall. If not I'm going with an F150 Platinum. That's a nice truck.
A closet full? But a Laramie is over the top??

I drive my Porsche in my Luccheses all the time. Roper style boots work best for proper heel/toe execution.
You guys stop talking boots, or I'm gonna turn this into a dog thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM
SSST
Drifting

I meant Longhorn, not Laramie. The other issue is I'm an Aggie and there is no way I would buy anything with a longhorn on it.

And yes. I have a closet full of boots. Probably eight or nine pair of Leccheses I've bought over the years. Those are my dress boots. I prefer Ariat for my work boots. I am a proper Texan afterall, and married to a rancher (or is it ranchess?)
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I stopped in Sacramento and had a sit in a 2013 Laramie Longhorn.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That 2013 was not a dually right? I doubt they have air suspension. But I dont know much, the RAM website has not been updated. I need to call a dealer to find out if I can drive one. I did not know they built them yet. Thanks

You do get 10-15K off.
I thing the Lariat is just fine, no goofy names for me.

LINE-X, you have to do the 100Gal aux tank anyway, so while you're at it..
Most car carriers (Called Hotshot drivers) that I see towing 3-4 cars state to state, basically truckers without the CDL license for a big rig use Dodges.

They are prime buyers of my used ones :-)
That was the RAM 1500, which is a half ton and doesn't offer a dually. There's a RAM 2500 reveal video on the Web (it was from 2012 for the 2013/2014 RAMs in the 3/4 and 1 ton. Basically upping the torque and the payload and the gross towing above (way above) the Ford and Chev numbers. Way beyond anything I'd ever tow and probably beyond a driver's license endorsement in California for weight or length by the time you got anywhere near what these trucks and haul today.

The 2013 RAM HD is up on the site now:
http://www.ramtrucks.com

The HD gets the Hemi, 30K towing (!) and the new cabin with U-Connect which is much nicer than the Ford Microsoft thing. I build enterprise software and I've worked in Silicon Valley for a couple of decades. I can't figure out Microsoft Sync. It works, but hell, you really have to just pull over and focus on fiddling with it. What's the point, I just put a Nexus 10 in front of it.

The RAM 1500 in the new 2013 is still in short supply other than to order and wait. No discounts beyond a token $4K or so off a $50K truck. Ford is already at $8K +/- random incentives and subsidized lease product.

The RAM 2500 doesn't have the air suspension of the RAM1500, but it does have the same straight six Cummins diesel. RAM committed to a V6 turbodiesel in the RAM1500, but it would be 2014. The 8 cylinder gas engine with cylinder deactivation is over 10K towing and that's plenty for my needs. The old Excursion is only a bit over 10K, but it's hefty curb weight means it can tow over 15K without complaint. I towed an excavator on a heavy duty equipment trailer up and down a windy mountain road gaining about 2000 vertical feet including some very steep grade near my property and it was fine, but I have to say I was "cautious" with stopping distances and the amount of movement in the vehicle tires when turning.

Anyway, I think the RAM1500 with the gas V8 and 8-speed box will be a good all-rounder and I can put a full height bed cap over it and still have access to the bed

I was getting my 6.0 diesel in for a quick health check and the topic went to mpg. I get about 15 all round. Towing. Fast. Slow. City. Highway. About 15mpg. 44 gallon tank. When diesel was over $5, that was three swipes of the credit card and a half hour to fill up. I try to stop at truck stops, just to get the faster bowser pumps (which can shift 44 gallons in about two minutes.) Anyway, a guy came in complaining that he couldn't get his late model Dodge Cummins to do any better than 17 mpg and he was close to getting 18 average (fairly measured, not just off the dashboard display.) The guy at the diesel shop said "you won't do any better, at least, I haven't done any better" and I lamented my 14 to 15 at 100K miles could have saved 20% in a Dodge or about $5000-7000 in fuel costs. Not that much per mile as a component of total operating costs. Still, a considerable percentage of total cost of ownership in terms of loss and depreciation.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Eduardo, you have really been hitting the ball out of the park the past few months on the forum Another gem!
Thanks Pete. I used to spend 4 hours a day in the internet keeping up with national & international news! After our November presidential elections, this forum is where I am spending time to distract myself & not get too depressed!

Lucchese WTH? Boots, really?...A closet full?...You guys stop talking boots, or I'm gonna turn this into a dog thread.
Peter, I'm talking of Luccheses in the context of 'deviating stitching' which, along with PTS and some nifty leather options, is what I truly care about re: the new 991 gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

That was the RAM 1500, which is a half ton and doesn't offer a dually. There's a RAM 2500 reveal video on the Web (it was from 2012 for the 2013/2014 RAMs in the 3/4 and 1 ton. Basically upping the torque and the payload and the gross towing above (way above) the Ford and Chev numbers. Way beyond anything I'd ever tow and probably beyond a driver's license endorsement in California for weight or length by the time you got anywhere near what these trucks and haul today.

The 2013 RAM HD is up on the site now:
http://www.ramtrucks.com

The HD gets the Hemi, 30K towing (!) and the new cabin with U-Connect which is much nicer than the Ford Microsoft thing. I build enterprise software and I've worked in Silicon Valley for a couple of decades. I can't figure out Microsoft Sync. It works, but hell, you really have to just pull over and focus on fiddling with it. What's the point, I just put a Nexus 10 in front of it.

The RAM 1500 in the new 2013 is still in short supply other than to order and wait. No discounts beyond a token $4K or so off a $50K truck. Ford is already at $8K +/- random incentives and subsidized lease product.

The RAM 2500 doesn't have the air suspension of the RAM1500, but it does have the same straight six Cummins diesel. RAM committed to a V6 turbodiesel in the RAM1500, but it would be 2014. The 8 cylinder gas engine with cylinder deactivation is over 10K towing and that's plenty for my needs. The old Excursion is only a bit over 10K, but it's hefty curb weight means it can tow over 15K without complaint. I towed an excavator on a heavy duty equipment trailer up and down a windy mountain road gaining about 2000 vertical feet including some very steep grade near my property and it was fine, but I have to say I was "cautious" with stopping distances and the amount of movement in the vehicle tires when turning.

Anyway, I think the RAM1500 with the gas V8 and 8-speed box will be a good all-rounder and I can put a full height bed cap over it and still have access to the bed

I was getting my 6.0 diesel in for a quick health check and the topic went to mpg. I get about 15 all round. Towing. Fast. Slow. City. Highway. About 15mpg. 44 gallon tank. When diesel was over $5, that was three swipes of the credit card and a half hour to fill up. I try to stop at truck stops, just to get the faster bowser pumps (which can shift 44 gallons in about two minutes.) Anyway, a guy came in complaining that he couldn't get his late model Dodge Cummins to do any better than 17 mpg and he was close to getting 18 average (fairly measured, not just off the dashboard display.) The guy at the diesel shop said "you won't do any better, at least, I haven't done any better" and I lamented my 14 to 15 at 100K miles could have saved 20% in a Dodge or about $5000-7000 in fuel costs. Not that much per mile as a component of total operating costs. Still, a considerable percentage of total cost of ownership in terms of loss and depreciation.
Thanks, build the build and price that really shows options still does not work: http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/lineup/i...owslider=false

Plus the competition is already selling 2014's so they may be waiting for that.

BTW, I get 11/12MPG driving around town, 10MPG with the trailer on it going 75-80 and 8MPG 80-90.

I meant Longhorn, not Laramie. The other issue is I'm an Aggie and there is no way I would buy anything with a longhorn on it.

And yes. I have a closet full of boots. Probably eight or nine pair of Leccheses I've bought over the years. Those are my dress boots. I prefer Ariat for my work boots. I am a proper Texan afterall, and married to a rancher (or is it ranchess?)
I apologize, never heard of either boot brands but living in Texas on a Ranch makes it all OK.

Thanks Pete. I used to spend 4 hours a day in the internet keeping up with national & international news! After our November presidential elections, this forum is where I am spending time to distract myself & not get too depressed!

Peter, I'm talking of Luccheses in the context of 'deviating stitching' which, along with PTS and some nifty leather options, is what I truly care about re: the new 991 gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Dont forget the Jeep Grand Cherokee as a Cayenne alternative. I like Dodge, I get in and I know how it all works without manual.
Then you're going to luv the new GT3...

Last edited by Nizer; 03-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Why, I know about the ventilated seats, but does it come with remote start and a garmin 8" screen also?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
SSST
Drifting

I apologize, never heard of either boot brands but living in Texas on a Ranch makes it all OK.
No apology necessary. I was serious about heel-toe being easier in a roper style boot. You never know when that knowledge will come in handy.

We don't live on the ranch. Porsches don't like gravel roads. We live about 10 miles away in town where we bought a house that my wife's family owned for several generations in the 1800's. We are in the process of having it restored, which is the real reason I'm not going to buy a 991 GT3. At least this year.

How's that for getting back on track? They did pour the foundation for my new 4 car garage this morning though so you know I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No apology necessary. I was serious about heel-toe being easier in a roper style boot. You never know when that knowledge will come in handy.

We don't live on the ranch. Porsches don't like gravel roads. We live about 10 miles away in town where we bought a house that my wife's family owned for several generations in the 1800's. We are in the process of having it restored, which is the real reason I'm not going to buy a 991 GT3. At least this year.

How's that for getting back on track? They did pour the foundation for my new 4 car garage this morning though so you know I'm thinking about it.
Porsche don't do them gravel stages, but Enzo sure do good, and purdy, too, fighter jet boom, mmmm hmmm.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 AM
SSST
Drifting

You can do that in your Enzo, but not me. Actually I did have it out at the ranch once, but had to have my molars glued back in by the time I got back to the highway.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Lol

Quick Reply: Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.