Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The 4.0 has warranty till 2017
You drive it on a track? In the US? With warranty? I thought it was voided.

I noticed you made some nice mods to the 4.0. How does the LSD affect the warranty? Here in Europe that would be a no no.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 782 Posts

I've done probably 15K track miles on 3 2010/11RS.
Half of those at Sebring.

Never had anything not replaced under warranty or good will that broke but had nothing to do with track use.
No warranty on LSD, brake pads, rotors etc these are wear items, but everything else has been taken care of for me, as far as I know only overrevs really void warranty.

My LSD in Trakcar 3.1 was Motorsports, I think it was better tuned for my driving style than the Guard LSD that is in the 4.0 but that car had more mods and different oem 3.8RS shocks and springs
Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
I wonder why they are only making 33 when they could easily sell 330.
Apparently 33 orange ones for this model year. More (and more colors) for 2014.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Before Mike in CA jumps all over me, I haven't come to a conclusion on the new GT3 yet.
Aw, I'd never jump all over you, orthojoe.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-19-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Apparently 33 orange ones for this model year. More (and more colors) for 2014.
More of the "TA" version? Or Vipers in general? They seemed to indicate the TA was special. From SRT Dealer Memo:

"...Motor Trend LS test...The Viper they used is a future special edition car called the “TA” which stands for “Time Attack”. The TA is built from the SRT price class and includes the Track Package and the Advanced Aero Group. It also included a two-mode suspension and multi-mode Electronic Stability Control which are similar to what is currently available on the GTS.

If you have a customer who wants to wait for this new package in 2014MY, make sure that they know that it will be a very limited special edition. The content is on the extreme side as well; it only allows cloth seats and there are no available options."
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

According to MT, who claim partial responsibility for its existence, more of the TA version.

"The first 33 cars off the line and the only ones on sale in 2013 (around September) will be painted in the Crusher Orange color you see here, a play on the classic Mopar hue, Orange Crush. Starting in 2014, SRT will sell you a TA in black or white."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._srt_viper_ta/
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,531 Likes on 2,578 Posts

I'm still trying to decide what to think of the 991 GT3, but I do think it's somewhat a slap in the face of track guys (ie, real drivers) to not even offer it with manual or proper track seats. Really bugs me ...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
According to MT, who claim partial responsibility for its existence, more of the TA version.

"The first 33 cars off the line and the only ones on sale in 2013 (around September) will be painted in the Crusher Orange color you see here, a play on the classic Mopar hue, Orange Crush. Starting in 2014, SRT will sell you a TA in black or white."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._srt_viper_ta/
Good catch! Thank you Alan!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I take it others have noticed the future looks like a Dodge pickup towing a Vette to the track?

What happened to the Cayenne towing the GT3?

What the hell is going on?!

* I imagine there's a few Porsche employees reading all the forum sites (through Google Translate) and sending emails to each other saying "I told you we should have just put the damn third pedal in the car! About ten of these nincompoops will actually buy it and we won't have to listen to all these complainings!"
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Aw, I'd never jump all over you, orthojoe.....
LOL. Thanks, man!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I take it others have noticed the future looks like a Dodge pickup towing a Vette to the track?

What happened to the Cayenne towing the GT3?

What the hell is going on?!

* I imagine there's a few Porsche employees reading all the forum sites (through Google Translate) and sending emails to each other saying "I told you we should have just put the damn third pedal in the car! About ten of these nincompoops will actually buy it and we won't have to listen to all these complainings!"
Oh, just the usual insanity

Dodge pickup towing a Mono. A Mono.

In all seriousness, take a look if you have not at the new RAM1500. Really nice interior, ride, handling. ~$42k'ish. Same 8 speed as Cayenne, same air suspension as Cayenne, real honest-to-goodness trailering mirrors, built-in trailer brake controller, options that cost $200-300 ea. vs Cayenne at $3000-$8000 ea. A bed to carry crap. Etc, etc. As always, I am subject to changing my mind, but the value is undeniable.

Porsche strategy is to keep widening those margins with the help of their marketing department and I really don't feel like feeding the machine any more. It is a great strategy for them. And the Chinese and Russians will consume more than Porsche can produce. So no hard feelings, good for them, just a recognition of the universe of choices I have as a consumer.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm still trying to decide what to think of the 991 GT3, but I do think it's somewhat a slap in the face of track guys (ie, real drivers) to not even offer it with manual or proper track seats. Really bugs me ...
All racing series use some form of pdk and have been for years....on the track. How is pdk a slap in the face????

One can make the argument that the gt3 is finally MORE TRACK oriented since it now uses the same/similar transmission as the cup car and as f1 and le mans and etc etc ad naseum.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by RR
One can make the argument that the gt3 is finally MORE TRACK oriented since it now uses the same/similar transmission as the cup car and as f1 and le mans and etc etc ad naseum.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,531 Likes on 2,578 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
All racing series use some form of pdk and have been for years....on the track. How is pdk a slap in the face????

But the GT3 isn't a race car. A track car that won't be raced needs to be involving and fun (and relatively safe, hence the need for proper track seats, accomodation for roll bar, etc.), not necessarily as fast as possible. Porsche has become preoccupied with chasing the GT-R, Ferraris, etc., instead of continuing to do what it does (did?) best. I'm not suggesting that they not offer PDK, only that they also offer manual (like every other 991 variant so far). But they know that the 0-60 and 'ring times won't be as good with manual, hence no manual.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RR

You're joking, right?

Quick Reply: Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.