Sponsored by:

Porsche - Returning to LeMans in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:59 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche - Returning to LeMans in 2014

All - perhaps a little interlude from the 991 GT3 deathmatch...

set the gloves down...pull back from the next Mezgerov cocktail...and take a ganda at:

Microsite up : http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...4/uk.aspx?ws=1

Now.....I wonder if this Piech revisiting his youth.....
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im loving your humour. Great to have a place where we arent discussing bucket seats, warranties, the devils transmission and sheep. Long may it last!

You cant help but wonder much how Piech is getting off on this whole "deja vu" thing. Its like the ultimate installment of "Revenge" (trashy addictive US TV show). I can see him now in his bubble bath. A small smile on his face (never seen that before! must have passed wind and found the bubbles funny...), as he relives how he crept up from behind, deployed blitzkrieg stealth to assume mantle over the company that spurned him as a gifted, talented but arrogant engineer in the 70s whilst he was working on race engine projects with Herr Bott and others. Wind on 35 years and now he has a chance to awake the Porsche racing "machine" from its slumber and get accolade to a return to legendary racing and podium finishes. Hes been a billionaire for 15 years now but the money didn't matter, getting the best of Porsche was his life long ambition and it make him very satisfied indeed, (and the small bath fart he did thinking about it). 35 years of plotting and Revenge is about to become so sweet. But in a final finger up to the unwashed devout Ferry followers he gives us PDK only GT models hereon forth and tells the Americans they will drive in comfy seats!

Ok delete the last part as we will not have War on this thread today. Talking of war you cant help (if you know anything of the man) that this single minded and intense focus and seriousness is the trait of brilliant men such as this that made the German war machine the threat it was 70 years ago. When I look at Piech I feel cold and shiver. Thank god he's in charge of designing our cars and not running his uncles chain of B&D Shops....
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Thank god he's in charge of designing our cars and not running his uncles chain of B&D Shops....

but i do need some mental floss to erase the image....
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bill I think we are alone here. Its actually quite peaceful.

I can practice my pronunciation for Doppel-kupplungsgetriebe. No one complains. You understand why they shortened it to PDK now ha! German isn't an attractive language really is it.

You were imagining Herr Piech in one of those leather corporal caps from Uncle Klaus B&D Shop Ag sitting in the bath and planning the return of Porsche Doppel-kupplungsgetriebe equipped cars to the height of international motorsport as well weren't you? Yup I can tell you were...

And for zee British we will launch zee GT3 late for zee stupidz right handle demand. For zee other ally Uncle Szam zee will make zem drivz in big leder armchairz and laugh when zee break zee chainz at zee track dayz (but givezem the bestest price ever as zee waited long time to join zee war). Forz sheepz shaggarz and zee convictz downunderz we no listenz at all they get nothingz and they pays twiz see pricz!)
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Indeed most quiet now. It is "intriguing" how the complexion/civility of the boards discussion shifts as the sun rides west

Your depiction of Herr Dr. Piech's baths...ahh the wit one can encounter in most unexpected places.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The question is will Piech allow Audi and Porsche to battle on track. New regs in 2014. Some suggest that Audi is thinking about F1. I hope not - could be an epic battle.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes Bill I understand what you are saying. It is true about the hemispheres, but the right one is waking up now so I guess our whispering is over!

Piech was only playing with Audi until he had Porsche in his grasp. Audi/VW was never the end game for Piech. You watch, Porsche will be his go to racing brand here on in, now Porsche have played engine technology catch up. You can start to see the production platform and technology plan forming now...watch Audi get relegated to alternate Motor racing. Shame WRC isnt really as popular as it was as they could have a go there...

If mummy Lousie could only see her big boy now!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Shame WRC isnt really as popular as it was as they could have a go there...
He might just put some effort in the WRC direction....after all, he also has props for developing the Audi Ur-Quattro. Quite the mechanical engineer he be/was.

Speaking of the other toys in his playchest....

I do wonder what he plans to do with Lambo....the Aventador is the "*****-to the wall" mad machine.....but if that will be Lambo's trademark...how does that translate into a Gallardo successor?

Be a pity if the Gallardo never got replaced....EVO seemed to suggest that the lack of prototypes running around Santa Agata might be pointing to such. World would be poorer if so....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,757 Likes on 923 Posts

Looking forward to Porsche's return to la Sarth. If it results in them reestablishing a real connection between race and street content at "reasonable" prices all the better, but think those days are behind us.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Looking forward to Porsche's return to la Sarth. If it results in them reestablishing a real connection between race and street content at "reasonable" prices all the better, but think those days are behind us.
I hope to be there to see them win it overall, but I'm afraid you're right.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Macca, your turn to post

Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Trakcar.

Cant get this tune out of my head when thinking of Herr Piech so will just have to disgorge myself of it now in the hope it finds favor (and smiles) with others LOL! I think the late Louise must have been a very competitive and domineering Mother who eventually appears to have won the sibling rivalry with her late brother Ferry via a war of attrition. Post humus! Id still like to see Piech smile genuinely....

Les boys do cabaret
Les boys are glad to be gay
They're not afraid now
Disco bar in Germany
Les boys are glad to be
Upon parade now

Les boys got leather straps
Les boys got ss caps
But they got no gun now
Get dressed up get a little risque
Got to do a little s & m these days
It's all in fun now

Les boys come on again
For the high class ******
And the businessmen
Who drive in their Mercedes Benz
To a disco bar in old munchen

They get the jokes that the d.j. makes
They get nervous and they make mistakes
They're bad for business
Some tourist take a photograph
Les boys don't get one laugh
He says they're useless

Late at night when they're gone away
Les boys dream of jean genet
High heel shoes and a black beret
And the posters on the wall that say
Les boys do cabaret
Les boys are glad to be gay

Read more at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/vi...KhUzZHmI0aT.99
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bill. I cant help but think Lambo will become relegated to "batman toys" for rick middle east and Asian customers. the aesthetic is getting so out of hand now I look at the Geneva offerings and cant help but wonder if this is something from the next batman sequal. Lambo is a cool brand and back in the good old days a Kiwi was instrumental in the development of their cars (Bob Wallace). Shortly they will all have e boxes and active aero. The visual drama still remians but i cant help think they are loosing something. The original Gallado was a sweet looking piece of intelligent packaging smaller perhaps than the 997, but I tend to gloss over their products these days and cant keep pace. I visited the factory back in 2007 for a tour and there was some interesting stuff in the museum, a few protos I cant but help think they should have followed further although the retro thing has become a bit cliche since...
Attached Images      
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill. I cant help but think Lambo will become relegated to "batman toys" for rick middle east and Asian customers. the aesthetic is getting so out of hand now I look at the Geneva offerings and cant help but wonder if this is something from the next batman sequal. Lambo is a cool brand and back in the good old days a Kiwi was instrumental in the development of their cars (Bob Wallace). Shortly they will all have e boxes and active aero. The visual drama still remians but i cant help think they are loosing something. The original Gallado was a sweet looking piece of intelligent packaging smaller perhaps than the 997, but I tend to gloss over their products these days and cant keep pace. I visited the factory back in 2007 for a tour and there was some interesting stuff in the museum, a few protos I cant but help think they should have followed further although the retro thing has become a bit cliche since...
Exactly!
And who did that to Lambo? It didn't (even) happen under Chrysler's helm. It took VW.

BTW, I met Bob Wallace a decade ago when he rebuilt my 69 Miura S's engine/trans. He was an awesome guy.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Exactly!
And who did that to Lambo? It didn't (even) happen under Chrysler's helm. It took VW.
Lamborghini grew rapidly during its first decade, but hard times befell the company when sales plunged in the wake of the 1973 worldwide financial downturn and the 1973 oil crisis. The firm's ownership changed three times after 1973, including a bankruptcy in 1978, before Chrysler Corporation took control in 1987. Unable to operate Lamborghini profitably, Chrysler sold Lamborghini to Malaysian investment group Mycom Setdco and Indonesian group V'Power Corporation in 1994. Lack of success continued through the 1990s, until Mycom Setdco and V'Power sold Lamborghini to the AUDI AG subsidiary of Volkswagen Group on 27 July 1998. Audi's ownership marked the beginning of a period of stability and increased productivity for Lamborghini. Sales increased nearly tenfold over the course of the 2000s, peaking with record sales in 2007 and 2008. The world financial crisis in the late 2000s negatively affected all luxury car makers worldwide, and caused Lamborghini's sales to drop nearly 50 percent.
source: Wikipedia

Apparently it's what the customer wanted. Better to be out of business than to be building "batman toys" for rich customers? Maybe so, but probably not from Lambo's perspective......

Quick Reply: Porsche - Returning to LeMans in 2014