Sponsored by:

What do we know about the 991TTT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My thought wondering to TTT is that if the GT3 is going away from purity and road feel and fun towards a more techno assisted heavier but faster car, why not take it just a bit further and go faster still? PFK fits better with Turbo's I think.

How many 40K cheaper GTR's sells Nissan per year?
How many would they sell if they had a model that looked the same, was a little lighter, offered a manual and rear wheel drive for 40% less?
I was thinking that as well. The GT3 is just better bang for the buck, has center exhaust and the boy racer wing. The ttt will be safer easier to drive and have a almost twice the torque. Plus is has a 10 year rust warranty where the if the 991 GT3 is like the 997 GT3, it will only have 3 years.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

RS deposit cancelled and looking down the road to relieve the 4.0 from heavy track duty to maybe just a dozen or so track days a year when it gets older and runs out of warranty.

As a mostly street car the TTS was always the "better" car. Faster, much more torque, a bit more comfortable end with PDK more traffic jam capable.

on track it felt less connected where it is just as fast as a GT3. With the PDK only GT3 and RS, less fun even with the hooligan clutch in mode, (the stupidest gimmicky thing on the GT3) why not get the TTT, it can't be more expensive than the RS and will be faster on track.

It may be a bit heavier but the GT3 is already heavier then a c2s and less fun for the sake of lap time so why not go even faster with same tuning and aero for some proper RS bullying?

Maybe I need a GT2RS as well, but I think I missed the dip and they are now skyrocketing.

Could it be that the TTT feels about a sporty as a Viper or Corvette with similar lap times?
Could it be that the TTT comes with a manual and weigh no more than a 991 GTS aka GT3

Just in case the Vette nor Viper can take a good track beating...
I have read your post 10 times now and I still fail to see the logic.

...it can't be more expensive than the RS and will be faster on track.
Faster? For sure not.

...why not go even faster with same tuning and aero for some proper RS bullying?
The RS will run circles around the Turbo on a track.

Could it be that the TTT feels about a sporty as a Viper or Corvette with similar lap times?
I have never driven the Viper or Corvette, but I doubt it will feels as sporty. Might be close on lap time though.

Could it be that the TTT comes with a manual and weigh no more than a 991 GTS aka GT3?
No. Highly doubt manual. Even so it will weigh more with turbos, intercoolers and four-wheel drive.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
I have read your post 10 times now and I still fail to see the logic.

...it can't be more expensive than the RS and will be faster on track.
Faster? For sure not.

...why not go even faster with same tuning and aero for some proper RS bullying?
The RS will run circles around the Turbo on a track.

I have never driven the Viper or Corvette, but I doubt it will feels as sporty. Might be close on lap time though.

Could it be that the TTT comes with a manual and weigh no more than a 991 GTS aka GT3?
No. Highly doubt manual. Even so it will weigh more with turbos, intercoolers and four-wheel drive.
You read my post 10x, that's 10x more than the average Rennlister
A current well tuned TTS PDK is already faster than a 4.0 so why not faster??

Vipers and Dodges feel like driving trucks, I have a Mustang that drives like a truck, but in a different way also fun.

Here in the Good Old USA we are pointing by Vipers and Corvette all the time and we better be fast about it or they went by before you get your hand out the window. Same weight, much more power than an RS....
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

You read my post 10x, that's 10x more than the average Rennlister
A current well tuned TTS PDK is already faster than a 4.0 so why not faster??

Yes, in a straight line it will be faster, but won't keep up it the turns. The Turbo will be heavier with (triple) turbos, intercoolers, four-wheel drive, etc. For sure will not be as fun either with four-wheel drive and rev limit at 6k. Unless you plan to rip out the front drive shaft, but then you might as well spend the money on a GT2 RS
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I think faster around the track in a GTR faster kind of way.

Yeah, faster but thats the direction were taking right? ****tier, heavier but faster!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Then I would get a GTR for half the price of a 991 Turbo and tune it beyond recognition Swap the turbos, mend the fuelmaps to hell and run race cats. 800hp and [numberoverflow]Nm torque. Need to sort out brake and gearbox cooling. Maybe a set of carbon wheels to get the weight down from those stock 20s. Now you will drive like a boss
Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RS deposit cancelled and looking down the road to relieve the 4.0 from heavy track duty to maybe just a dozen or so track days a year when it gets older and runs out of warranty.

As a mostly street car the TTS was always the "better" car. Faster, much more torque, a bit more comfortable end with PDK more traffic jam capable.

on track it felt less connected where it is just as fast as a GT3. With the PDK only GT3 and RS, less fun even with the hooligan clutch in mode, (the stupidest gimmicky thing on the GT3) why not get the TTT, it can't be more expensive than the RS and will be faster on track.

It may be a bit heavier but the GT3 is already heavier then a c2s and less fun for the sake of lap time so why not go even faster with same tuning and aero for some proper RS bullying?

Maybe I need a GT2RS as well, but I think I missed the dip and they are now skyrocketing.

Could it be that the TTT comes with a manual and weigh no more than a 991 GTS aka GT3

Just in case the Vette nor Viper can take a good track beating...

The next turbo could be quite the all-rounder, but the price tag once it's set up will be a bit silly, and the depreciation will make for very expensive motoring.

As for the RS – or the turbo for that matter – has there been any official word in writing, anything from Porsche whatsoever?

I think keeping the RS deposit as a place marker with the dealer until we know at least as much as we know about the GT3 will give you a better view of the battleground. I don't think the local dealer is even taking RS deposits yet (the same handful of folks all retain the same pecking order anyway.)

Porsche has a lot of cars to bring to market in the 2014 time frame, so we'll know a lot more about adjacent models before the RS is rusting in the garage.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, in a straight line it will be faster, but won't keep up it the turns. The Turbo will be heavier with (triple) turbos, intercoolers, four-wheel drive, etc. For sure will not be as fun either with four-wheel drive and rev limit at 6k. Unless you plan to rip out the front drive shaft, but then you might as well spend the money on a GT2 RS
False, that misconception has long been trampled.

As much as Porsche sandbags the Turbo's to maintain the pecking order, all it takes is a good alignment and equivalent tires and the Turbo's would be easily faster than the GT3's. A tune puts the TT at 550-600 hp. Game over.

Heavier or not, you can't beat the torque and the driver confidence that comes with AWD on less sticky tires. It's not as fun, but there is no denying the speed.

Then I would get a GTR for half the price of a 991 Turbo and tune it beyond recognition Swap the turbos, mend the fuelmaps to hell and run race cats. 800hp and [numberoverflow]Nm torque. Need to sort out brake and gearbox cooling. Maybe a set of carbon wheels to get the weight down from those stock 20s. Now you will drive like a boss
Man, you sure don't do your homework. The GT-R's 20's are lighter than most (if not all) of Porsche's 997 Generation wheels, and barely heavier than the 996 18" wheels. They are forged and made by Ray's who also make volk who have also made (and maybe still do) make wheels for F1.

On top of that, all of the mods you mention would make the GT-R more expensive than the Turbo by the time you add all of the additional mods required to make 800hp and the cooling to match and gearbox mods to hold up.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Uh oh, someone else who has thrown his toys out of the pram

It was all based on own experience (having owned a 580hp tuned 997.1 Turbo with properly setup suspension) and that of friends who track modified Turbos, modified GTRs and stock GT3s. Your different view and experience is of course appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe the 2011 tts ran the ring in 7:31, I don't think a 3.8 rs did it any faster. Not sure about the 4.0. I imagine the 991ttt will be in the 7:2x's. Pretty damn fast if you ask me.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

when the 997.1 Turbos hit the 50k price point im taking one and stripping it for tarmac rallying.
Gona give it my Cup seats, wheels, doors, wing, clubsport full cage and my suspension.
A solid tune and exhaust will be in order.

it will run like a raped ape.

given the market now and typical owners, id say when the 991 turbo hits the streets the 997 turbo will be a bargin.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

C6 Vettes at the track are stupid fast...yes even in the corners. Grassroots magazine did a trak car shoot out at VIR in 2012. Full interior, safety mods and so light brake mods C6 Z06 beat a lot of gutted out race cars...even Porsches!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I believe the 2011 tts ran the ring in 7:31, I don't think a 3.8 rs did it any faster. Not sure about the 4.0. I imagine the 991ttt will be in the 7:2x's. Pretty damn fast if you ask me.
7:32 for the Turbo S on Nordschleife vs 7:33 for the 3.8 GT3 RS. Nordschleife is a fast track which suits the turbo very well. Not many tight corners. Like driving a country road through the hills.

Compare to...

1:10.90 for the Turbo S on Hockenheim (short version) vs 1:09.50 for the 3.8 GT3 RS.

Torque does not make you faster through the corners
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

7:32 for the Turbo S on Nordschleife vs 7:33 for the 3.8 GT3 RS. Nordschleife is a fast track which suits the turbo very well. Not many tight corners. Like driving a country road through the hills.

Compare to...

1:10.90 for the Turbo S on Hockenheim (short version) vs 1:09.50 for the 3.8 GT3 RS.

Torque does not make you faster through the corners
Did the Turbo have sticky tires like the GT3. I doubt it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

How do you package a TTT with a flat 6 ?

Its gonna be a TT only

It aint a TTT

Last edited by TB993tt; 05-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: What do we know about the 991TTT?