Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well said Mike. Down under dealers have full-filled all slots available until late 2014. They are not taking any more orders until the factory can confirm how many they will be allocated. At this stage it looks like the number built will be no more (possibly less) than the outgoing model. As a point of interest almost all buyers are current 997.2 GT3/RS clients....
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
Time will tell, but you really think that if Porsche can sell 3000 GT3's a year instead of the assumed 800, they won't ?

I love the contradictions that take place in this one car

Just my 0.02
Mike
I doubt they have the production capacity to build that many additional cars even if they wanted to; what I've read is that they are already working 3 shifts to capacity at Zuffenhausen. And most telling, I don't believe US dealers are expecting an additional flood of GT3 allocations; at least my dealer isn't.

That aside, Porsche expects GT3/RS's to make up the same 10% of the 911 mix as they always have. If they really are able to sell almost 400% more GT3's than they ever have before, then you have to admit, if only from a business standpoint, the decisions they made on the design of the GT3 look pretty smart. But I don't believe that will happen.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Well said Mike. Down under dealers have full-filled all slots available until late 2014. They are not taking any more orders until the factory can confirm how many they will be allocated. At this stage it looks like the number built will be no more (possibly less) than the outgoing model. As a point of interest almost all buyers are current 997.2 GT3/RS clients....
true macca.
there are lots of 7.2rs for sale here atm; more than any other variant....interestingly.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

I know they came with the CUP tires or Corsa's before, but in the scheme of things I do not think it makes any sense if they would continue to do so, since all the other indications are to steer the US customer away from the track.

I guess that is another thing we will have to wait and see, what ultimately is delivered here in the US, but I still am not convinced it will be a Cup tire or equivalent, I have the feeling it might be the PSS or Dunlop Street tire

Again this is all speculation and you are right that all GT3's before came with the CUP or similar tire.

Mike
Uhhh my 05 6GT3 came new with PS2's

Peter
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah. Same with my 996 GT3. Interestingly, my 6 was a far more hard core, fine edged rig than my GT3 which came with MPSCs.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think the idea that this car is going to be for "the masses" is being hugely overplayed. My salesman, who is also a friend and has no reason to BS me, tells me that his dealership has been receiving calls from all over the US from people trying to get on a waiting list somewhere for the GT3. In his words, "the phone has been ringing off the hook". Regardless, they have stopped taking names for their list because they already have more people who have made deposits than likely allocations for the next couple of years.
Sounds like the very definition of "the masses".
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Yeah. Same with my 996 GT3. Interestingly, my 6 was a far more hard core, fine edged rig than my GT3 which came with MPSCs.
When I started looking for a GT3, something less than half the GT3s I saw came with R-compounds (and that's in SoCal) - all the RSs had R-compounds.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

I guess n summary it all comes down to, which camp you belong to

Camp A:
Does believe that Porsche is steering people away from track use in the US, which the unavailable bucket seats option could confirm, if there was a simple explanation they could have put this issue to rest, but sofar no response
In this camp R compound tires on the car would not make any sense

Camp B:
Does believe that Porsche has not changed one bit, and believes that the bucket seat issue is just an oversight and does not mean anything, and that Porsche actually wants us to use the new GT3 to be used on the track (so they can deny warranty on any of the not yet track proven new technology ?)
Of course since Porsche did not change one bit, tires will be R compound

It all starts to make sense to me now, but than again I was always a slow learner LOL

Mike
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Sounds like the very definition of "the masses".
Only if you completely ignore the second part of what I wrote....
Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Camp A:
Does believe that Porsche is steering people away from track use in the US, which the unavailable bucket seats option could confirm, if there was a simple explanation they could have put this issue to rest, but sofar no response

Camp B:
Does believe that Porsche has not changed one bit, and believes that the bucket seat issue is just an oversight and does not mean anything, and that Porsche actually wants us to use the new GT3 to be used on the track (so they can deny warranty on any of the not yet track proven new technology ?)

It all starts to make sense to me now, but than again I was always a slow learner LOL

Mike
Hard to say what's right, Mike. But I will say that the warranty issue is completely unrelated to any discussion about suitability for track use; it has been applicable to every GT3/RS Porsche has ever sold in the US, regardless of whether the car has used new or pre-existing technology. I don't get why it keeps being brought up as "evidence" in this case. It's simply irrelevant, unless you're saying that Porsche has tried to discourage every GT3 it's ever sold from being taken to the track in which case the complaints should be aimed at every car, not just the new one.

As to the current non-availability of the bucket seats, we can argue this forever. I personally am not big on conspiracy theories, so I have a different opinion on this than you and some others apparently do, which is fine. But most companies don't go out of their way to explain why they offer their products when and how they do, so the fact that Porsche hasn't 'explained" their rationale on the sport buckets isn't too surprising.

I have one question. When the revised bucket seat becomes available for the new GT3 and RS (and it will, likely sooner than some think) what are the people in Camp A going to do with their idea that the lack of a bucket seat option is proof of the "don't take it to the track" theory?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 AM
frayed
Race Car

Camp A:

Camp B:

Mike
Camp C.

The 991 GT3 is being rolled out exactly the same way my 997 GT3 was rolled out. No bucket option, but on R comps. Later the buckets were rolled out. Just like with the 997, the official stance by PAG is that track failures aren't covered by warranty, but in reality a claim that is not the result of obvious abuse will be covered.

2007 all over again.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

(oh and welcome back Frayed)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we have this corner covered boys. Ill go chase the Orks from the northern rampart and give you a holla from another thread if I need some support in banishing the heathens LOL!

A simple discussion about tire technology and new releases yet again becomes a warranty/track seat/general bagging. Surprised no one has raised the PDK only for a while (probably the fact the 991 GT3RS will sport no manual has quietened the neigh sayers).

Oh well...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks Bill.

LOL @ Macca, could you imagine the absolute schitstorm that a manual option RS would create? Woooboy.

But the Orks are very real. Apparently Porsche has moved to 21" wheels on the RS solely to make track use more difficult/expensive.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Thanks Bill.

LOL @ Macca, could you imagine the absolute schitstorm that a manual option RS would create? Woooboy.

But the Orks are very real. Apparently Porsche has moved to 21" wheels on the RS solely to make track use more difficult/expensive.
Only logical explanation frayed because cup cars turn in and ride fine on 18s... If not 18s, 19s would be the absolute max for a car intended to be tracked... Tyre options a plenty, cost is reasonable, ease of access to tyres and so on!

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?