Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
My past experience has been with Ferrari's and though Ferrari offered sport bucket seats and I never ordered them because sales people told me the car would not sell as fast with them. In addition, I spent a few days driving a 430 Scuderia which is equipped with racing seats(sport bucket). They are OK for short rides but longer rides they were very uncomfortable.

Porsche is offering the wheels pictured above in painted silver with a colored center locked cap. I am inclined to go with the painted silver (a $380 option) because most of the pictures of the OEM wheels make them look dirty. I believed they are a brushed bronze color.

Thoughts on the wheels?
Apparently black will be an available option later and if not in time for me then I'll just get mine powder coated black on arrival.

You should at least go with the platinum IMO - the silver will show the brake dust in stark contrast although if you go with the CCB you don't need to worry).
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

The whole track warranty thing. As a lawyer I would advise PAG to do exactly as they have done, void warranty claims for track use.

In practice however, I've never had warranty issues even though my dealer knew that my cars were tracked. I have had 2 GT3's, 6 911's in total.

To those worried about warranty coverage, I wouldn't get your undies in a knot unless your dealer is hostile to track use.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't believe Porsche is trying to steer customers away from the track. Their marketing (truthful or not) states otherwise. However, I DO think that they are trying to make the GT3 more palatable to people that have no intention of ever tracking the car. Therefore, I can see why you might think they won't put r comps on the new GT3

That being said, I agree with the others that the 991 GT3 will come equipped with R comps
If your reasoning is correct, and I am not disputing that it is, than IMO it again is a non-logical step Porsche made.

Why would you equip any car with R comps, and not at the same time offer bucket seats / harness (that are DOT approved).

Also as far as liability is concerned, how good are R comps in the rain ?
That in itself would be a huge liability issue IMO, not withstanding the fact they are DOT approved.

Ever driven r comps in a downpour for an extended period of time ?

Mike
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

The black glossy wheels will be offered for September orders. Since most dealers will not get their allocation until then, you should be able to order the black wheels. I am getting a white exterior and black wheels will just the car look too aggressive.

From what I can see in the videos and pictures, the OEM platinum wheels are darker and a some amount of dust will make them even more so. The silver painted wheels much lighter and more noticeable especially with the colored CL cap. I do not plan to order the CB's because they are way overpriced and the performance marginally better.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by mike2727
If your reasoning is correct, and I am not disputing that it is, than IMO it again is a non-logical step Porsche made.

Why would you equip any car with R comps, and not at the same time offer bucket seats / harness (that are DOT approved).
No way will the new GT3 accomplish its ever-so-important ringtime without R comps. Lack of buckets is really just a delay. Same thing happened with the 997GT3.

I personally want the regular seats, but hope we can get the buckets for retrofit. If I love the car and if I track the car more than 4x/year, I'll buy the buckets, but put the standard seats back in for resale, and sell off the buckets at resale time.

If I find myself going to the track only occasionally, I'll likely stick with the standard seats.

Also as far as liability is concerned, how good are R comps in the rain ?
That in itself would be a huge liability issue IMO, not withstanding the fact they are DOT approved.

Ever driven r comps in a downpour for an extended period of time ?

Mike
Yep. Generally OK in the wet but sucks with standing water. But all the electrical nannies will help out here.

These issues were brought up when MPSCs were spec'd on the 997 GT3. Not sure if there have been any successful claims for their previous decision, but if so they don't seem to have been reported on this forum and any such claims certainly didn't deter PAG this time around.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adde
Originally Posted by frayed
Yep. Generally OK in the wet but sucks with standing water. But all the electrical nannies will help out here.
+1

I've been daily driving R-comps on the street (in all weather) since the late 1980's.

For street use:
They take a long time to warm up when the temps get below the mid-40s (7C) - they'll feel flat-spotted, or like a tire that has been sitting in one position for too long until they warm up.
They grip better on wet surfaces than most cheaper tires, but are a lot more prone to hydroplaning in deep water.

Last edited by stevecolletti; 04-10-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added 'daily'
Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

hydroplaning was the cause of a number of .1 RSes "buying a farm" in europe as I recall...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

No way will the new GT3 accomplish its ever-so-important ringtime without R comps. Lack of buckets is really just a delay. Same thing happened with the 997GT3.

I personally want the regular seats, but hope we can get the buckets for retrofit. If I love the car and if I track the car more than 4x/year, I'll buy the buckets, but put the standard seats back in for resale, and sell off the buckets at resale time.

If I find myself going to the track only occasionally, I'll likely stick with the standard seats.

These issues were brought up when MPSCs were spec'd on the 997 GT3. Not sure if there have been any successful claims for their previous decision, but if so they don't seem to have been reported on this forum and any such claims certainly didn't deter PAG this time around.
Yes I know how they behave in standing water LOL
What I tried to say is, if Porsche is marketing this more to the general public, there will be some people in for surprises and potentially more trouble with liability

Mike
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
frayed
Race Car

What I tried to say is, if Porsche is marketing this more to the general public, there will be some people in for surprises and potentially more trouble with liability

Mike
Yeah, I figgered that with your track car. . .but my point is that the decision to spec R comps, even the MPSCs which are better on the street than most R comps (maybe all?), is not a new risk for PAG. It's a compromise made many moons ago.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Mike
You have a point there. The masses are in general less knowledgeable about the limits and intended purposes of the car. When the first wanna-be wraps the car into a telephone pole because of rain, he's gonna cry about how crappy and dangerous the car is. Porsche may not realize what they have gotten themselves into by making a track car for the masses.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally can't wait for Trofeo Rs in 991 sizes. More sizing info on them here: http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I figgered that with your track car. . .but my point is that the decision to spec R comps, even the MPSCs which are better on the street than most R comps (maybe all?), is not a new risk for PAG. It's a compromise made many moons ago.
I totally agree with you, don't get me wrong
But since Porsche is clearly trying to sell the GT cars now to a wider public, some people might not be that charmed with the tire choice for street use
Some things they changed to make it less of a track car (e.g. no buckets), and some things they leave the same (e.g. tires)

Mike
Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

You have a point there. The masses are in general less knowledgeable about the limits and intended purposes of the car. When the first wanna-be wraps the car into a telephone pole because of rain, he's gonna cry about how crappy and dangerous the car is. Porsche may not realize what they have gotten themselves into by making a track car for the masses.
You said it way better than me, that is exactly my point

Mike
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the idea that this car is going to be for "the masses" is being hugely overplayed. My salesman, who is also a friend and has no reason to BS me, tells me that his dealership has been receiving calls from all over the US from people trying to get on a waiting list somewhere for the GT3. In his words, "the phone has been ringing off the hook". Regardless, they have stopped taking names for their list because they already have more people who have made deposits than likely allocations for the next couple of years.

I suspect your casual impulse-buy "wanna-be" would not be lining up for wait lists or cold calling dealers for a $150K car. I could be wrong, but despite the claims to the contrary, the vast majority of these cars will end up in the hands of the same demographic as the previous GT3's; that is to say a combination of track oriented drivers and knowledgeable enthusiasts. These owners will be no more likely to be caught out by R-spec tires than the previous generations' owners were. Just my $.02.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think the idea that this car is going to be for "the masses" is being hugely overplayed. My salesman, who is also a friend and has no reason to BS me, tells me that his dealership has been receiving calls from all over the US from people trying to get on a waiting list somewhere for the GT3. In his words, "the phone has been ringing off the hook". Regardless, they have stopped taking names for their list because they already have more people who have made deposits than likely allocations for the next couple of years.

I suspect your casual impulse-buy "wanna-be" would not be lining up for wait lists or cold calling dealers for a $150K car. I could be wrong, but despite the claims to the contrary, the vast majority of these cars will end up in the hands of the same demographic as the previous GT3's; that is to say a combination of track oriented drivers and regular enthusiasts. These owners will be no more likely to be caught out by R-spec tires than the previous generations' owners were. Just my $.02.
Time will tell, but you really think that if Porsche can sell 3000 GT3's a year instead of the assumed 800, they won't ?

I love the contradictions that take place in this one car

Just my 0.02
Mike

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N-spec coming for the 991?