Sponsored by:

991 GT3 sans rear wing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 sans rear wing???

Been a fairly long time lurker here on Rennlist and am most appreciative of the info gleaned from said lurking.

As this is my first post and at that about a not yet available Porsche 991, what to you reckon the chances of a 991 GT3 being with either a rear wing delete or the ability to retrofit a "standard" S model spoiler to the rear.

Yes, I am aware of the positive aerodynamic enhancements of the wing at speed of the massive rear wing, but given that in my case anyway, the car would be a DD and perhaps only occasionally tracked, if ever, to me it is an over kill to an other wise extremely attractive package.

I come from a aeronautical (Rotorcraft/Helicopter CFI Pilot, EMS, ENG etc...) background as well as a total gear head, MX'er, engine rebuilder since I was 11 years old (my grand father and father owned a engine rebuilding shop that closed in the mid 70's) General Dynamics/SSBN and fast attack subs, N.A.S.A and the mechanical engineering type upbringing. I love and am drawn to the shockingly spectacular accelerative and handling qualities of he 911 and in particular 991, but for me the massive wing is a not wholly needed item.

Until I drove a 991 C2s in Jun.2012 and C4s in feb 2013 with PDk I was a dyed in the wool manual driver (mostly Audi S4's am the like) but wouldn't even consider a manual now given my experiences. All the plusses and more and the convenience in crap traffic that will undoubtedly rear its ugly side in my soon to come move back south.

Purists here may and likely will po-poo my my idea but as a responsible driver that enjoys motor sports in an appropriate venue the gynormous wing is something that will seldom (being painfully honest here) come into actual play with my perceived usage.

Being a first post, my flame suit is fully snugged and I respect others opinions, but I m wondering if a "regular" S type wing would even be a doable thing ...

Yeah, Blah, Blah, Blah but like Popeye, " I am what I am and that is how it is.

Be safe and thanks in advance for any help
Patty

P.S. - I am REALLY sorry to hear of the passing of Gary Sims, I really looked forward to reading his posts as I could relate to his point of view on many levels but am but a mere pimple on the thing we call life in comparison to his largly lived life. It has taken a fair bit of time for me to post about someone I never had the pleasure of meeting.

RIP Gary & Cindy and to his family please know his expert commentary, fervent automotive enthusiasm and pleasant demeanor is sorely missed.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Gary was a great guy. I had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times in the last few months and do some canyon carvng with him. To say he'll be missed is an understatement.

My guess is that Porsche wouldn't sell you the GT3 without a rear wing as the car is designed for it and they might consider it a liability issue. Personally I wouldn't want to buy one without it. That said it might be possible to retrofit a Carrera S deck lid to the car if you were determined to do that. One issue could be whether the air intake for the GT3 engine is in a different location than the Carrera S which could cause a problem.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-17-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey welcome on board! We need al the help we can get defending this awesome new GT3!

Im sure someone like RUF or Techart can sell you a rear spoiler for your new GT3. Might affect the aero but Id imagine within 6 months these companies will have created something specifically for GT3 owners.

FYI Ruf has recently stated it will using a modified PDK transmission for all its standard hi-po offerings. Alois Ruf has long been a supporter of automates dual clutch transmissions...
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here are a few more views of the duck-tail. Obviously for the GT3 a ram air duct needs to be designed. Id say there will be plenty of buyers for such a tail so Id imagine someone will step up to the task...
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted here in 2010 or 2011 after running laps at Thunderhill with the wing off. The car is perfectly stable and well mannered. That track and that car mean about 130 mph top speed (into aero speeds, but only just) and the car didn't skip a beat.

There's also some pics of the rump of the car beside other 997's to show it in pseudo "duck tail" configuration. I prefer it aesthetically, it's far less pretentious, there's no risk of vandalism or theft (the wing can be removed with an electric screwdriver, gone in 60 seconds) and there's visibility out the rearview mirror.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Hello again, folks. Thanks for the input and please feel free to keep it coming. Mike in Ca: I did reckon that there may be a factory problem inre the "lesser" spoiler on a much higher performing car.

Macca: That green car is, well, bad a$$ (sorry if I shouldn't express like that but I really wanted to say something else) Really nice lines and the 5 spoke (I assume RUF) wheels are very nice as well... I have followed their modified cars for a very many years but was not in the position of a comfortable acquisition in years past.

Carerra GT; I personally am drawn to a less racer type rear wing or the C2s/ C4s pop up variety but with rather massive HP bump and chassis mods of the GT#. Nothing wrong with it in the current version, it is just a matter of personal preference and realistic usage on my part.

Thanks again for the thoughts and also for the welcome.

Be safe
Patty
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

The ruf ducktail looks great, but there is no third brakelight.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jon. Good spotting. Not sure how Ruf have got around that issue....
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know if Porsche would sell a GT3 without a wing, but I am positive that many owners of "regular" 991's would swap deck lids with you in a second to get the GT3 look. Probably one with the same color car. There is the issue of the air box lining up correctly.

Personally, I very much like the more subtle ducktail look for the street, and don't care for the "look at me" aspect of a wing on the street. For the track, I want a full RS wing.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Hmmm....I think there are a lot of folks who secretly want the GT3 car without that wing. Maybe as a 25K dollar option they could shoehorn the 475 hp engine into a 991S body. With a 7 speed tranny of course!
J
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

No wing? DD with little or no track use? No offense, but then what's the point of getting a GT3? Why not instead get a 991 C4S, or an M3, or a luxury sedan? How much power and grip do you really need for road use?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think there is a lot of latent "duck tail loving" after the 997 Sport Classic Limited edition.

There is already a direct bolt on duck tail for the 991 which has the stop light integrated and should be a direct bolt up solution for the 991 GT3 if you so desire. The issues as identified is the ram air affect into the GT3 air box.... there's not doubt it looks great but I suspect above 150 mph would also compromise aero...
Attached Images    
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

For me, GT3 sans rear wing is like 911 turbo sans the turbos...
If you plan to track, why would you not want more downforce than whats offered by a carrera wing? If you don't plan to track, why a GT3? For me, they are the questions you need to rationalise for yourself...

If you succeed in rationalising it, then you'll likely have to do it yourself by retrofitting a wing. The extendable wings may pose problems other than fitment like whether the ECU can be programmed to extend and retract it, that is, the comp modules fitted to the GT3... Plus you'd have to install a wiring harness if it works...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default No rear wing?

Originally Posted by Manifold
No wing? DD with little or no track use? No offense, but then what's the point of getting a GT3? Why not instead get a 991 C4S, or an M3, or a luxury sedan? How much power and grip do you really need for road use?
Respectfully, the point is because it is what I want.
No offense intended and none taken, but I am realistic with my use with the car and doubt it would spend less than 1% of it's time at speeds where a CS style spoiler would'nt be just fine. After all the C2S and C4S are capable of 170's+ (same I reckon for the "regular cooking" model Carreras)?

I am not a race driver and do not plan on racing the car, just want the mind blowing acceleration and handling in a package that thrills me both performance wise and visually.

Just 1 gals opinion.

Be safe and thanks for your comment
Patty

P.S. Hothonda:
Nice looking ride. That ducktail on a white car looks great.

Last edited by achildofthesky; 03-18-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Just saw pix...

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 sans rear wing???