Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 sans rear wing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks lovely. After you remove orange reflector try removing badging "Carrera etc" below Porsche for an even cleaner look...
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
True, predict many more I want a GT3 DD but don't want a GT3 track ready threads. Porsche wins.
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
agreed. looks very nice.
these cars are nice daily drivers.
the 911's role as a trackcar is dying though.
For the people that want more of a track car, why not just buy a GT3 cup car? That said, I don't know how difficult they are to get or the cost of cup cars.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stom_m3
For the people that want more of a track car, why not just buy a GT3 cup car? That said, I don't know how difficult they are to get or the cost of cup cars.
Some already have race cars, apples and oranges.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

For the people that want more of a track car, why not just buy a GT3 cup car?
Because even if you track your GT3 50 days a year, there are still 300 other days you might want to drive it. And you might want to drive it to/from the track instead of trailering it.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Manifold. No offence meant here, but this is the bit I dont get. You can afford to contemplate a 140k usd optioned 991 GT3 (obviously or you wouldnt be taking part on this board) but you cant justify buying a 60k usd 2003 996.2 Cup car and trailer and a 60k usd 997S to get to work in? If you are tracking your car 50 times a year then you are serious enough to step up to a dedicated track car. Ive owned a 996.1 GT3 and a 993RS and as nice as they were for an occasionally weekend track session they were not anywhere near what a dedicated track car would be. I think we are asking too much now of the platform. We are a small group and the group Porsche are primarily entertaining are wanting something quite different....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Manifold. No offence meant here, but this is the bit I dont get. You can afford to contemplate a 140k usd optioned 991 GT3 (obviously or you wouldnt be taking part on this board) but you cant justify buying a 60k usd 2003 996.2 Cup car and trailer and a 60k usd 997S to get to work in? If you are tracking your car 50 times a year then you are serious enough to step up to a dedicated track car. Ive owned a 996.1 GT3 and a 993RS and as nice as they were for an occasionally weekend track session they were not anywhere near what a dedicated track car would be. I think we are asking too much now of the platform. We are a small group and the group Porsche are primarily entertaining are wanting something quite different....
Your point is well taken, but I still don't see why the 991 GT3 can't be a great track car and tolerable road car. Isn't that about what the 997.2 GT3RS is?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

pdk will keep it from being great
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

They are a pain in the *** to drive to work.

Race cars need storage, transport to the track, mechanics etc. Its not the cost of buying a racecar, its not even the cost of buying a GT3, its the cost of keeping tem running, the hassle logistics etc. I also dont like the idea to tie up cash in a racecar is get to drive 8 weekends a year. I might do it one day, but that has what kept me away from racecars. to me the only benefit is that they are safer and well, you get to race.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Your point is well taken, but I still don't see why the 991 GT3 can't be a great track car and tolerable road car. Isn't that about what the 997.2 GT3RS is?
Its the other way around. Great road car, tolerable track car. On paper at least but I'll report back in after I drive one and see track rats beat it up at the track for a summer.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
pdk will keep it from being great
And that, of course. But wait, it has a Hooligan option where you can declutch the car and make it go sideways be flooring it while letting the clutch out!! Pfew, they fixed it at the last moment and saved the car. genius
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
No wing? DD with little or no track use? No offense, but then what's the point of getting a GT3? Why not instead get a 991 C4S, or an M3, or a luxury sedan? How much power and grip do you really need for road use?
As with my profession there is no such thing as too much power, too good of handling (we don't "grip" per se but agility is our drug of choice)...

I will take as much power as I can get short of going Turbo (I will take the extra $$ and put it down on a retirement home in SW Florida), as much grip as I can get and 9k RPM is sweet music to my somewhat hearing damaged ears (likely from too much gun play and Marshall amped Les Pauls in my past).

In my original post I alluded to " little or no track use" and perhaps I could expand on that a bit. It is not my plan to be a track rat (meant in the nicest possible way) given that retirement will have several time sucks that would prohibit me from fully commiting to that and I am a commitment type gal. For me it is be the best I can or it is just play. I will have an occasional foray on a few tracks I have admired in the past (Watkins Glen is a place I have been to many times, still remember F1 there in the mid 70'5 IIRC) if it is possible for a competent nobody like my self but for enjoyment more so than outright lap times. COTA is a spectacular looking track and just so happens to be a short ride from big bro's home in Austin. Learning an automobiles operating envelope is best learned in a controlled environment and with equipment specific skilled instruction. I plan on on doing so, not to eak out every last nano second of performance but to get the nature of the beast ingrained in my muscle memory. Right now my default setting is rear bias AWD and I do REALLY dig rally driving.

Getting too involved with tracking will get competitive urgings lit and like a magnesium fire they are hard to put out and can lead to poor judgement, a prang, or a beyond oh spit "moment". It would also be beyond a pisser to get 'helped" off the track by someone elses ability exceeding their skill or good judgement. I realize this from past experiences in motocross, shooting sports and general beating of the cars of youth. Fortunately no one was harmed but for someone rapidly approaching (or possibly already arriving at) old fartdom I do recognize my limitations or at least what I am willing to set for limits.

I indeed have considered a C4S and not ruled it out but while 400 hp is wonnerful closer to 500hp is more better doncha reckon?

A 997 Turbo S is a spectacular vehicle and as you may have discerned prices for a CPO TTS are depreciating ever near a decently equipped 991 C4S or for that matter the GT3. However it IS a used vehicle and I am preferring new for this go round. The 991 Turbo will be, I am sure mind blowing, but pretty much a non starter given my future plans unless something really lucky were to happen. I don't plan for luck but for what I CAN make happen.

I do appreciate ALL input and respect the manner presented and certainly don't take any offense at comments and as well do not mean any by expressing my views, wants or whatever else.

Be be safe all and I look forward to hearing more on the subject. Love the pix that have been posted too! Please keep them coming.

Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 03-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Spelling or lack thereof...
Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It used to be that people bought GT3's then traded them in for Turbos when the 'involvement' associated with a GT3 became too involving. Don't see that happening this time. Even though the OP doesn't want a wing, the wing will sell lots of GT3s.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Carrera GT. Do you still have those pictures you can share with the duck tail on the car? Thanks for sharing that experience. Makes interesting feedback...
Here you go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/7500402-post5.html
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Carrera GT - much appreciated...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I posted here in 2010 or 2011 after running laps at Thunderhill with the wing off. The car is perfectly stable and well mannered. That track and that car mean about 130 mph top speed (into aero speeds, but only just) and the car didn't skip a beat.

There's also some pics of the rump of the car beside other 997's to show it in pseudo "duck tail" configuration. I prefer it aesthetically, it's far less pretentious, there's no risk of vandalism or theft (the wing can be removed with an electric screwdriver, gone in 60 seconds) and there's visibility out the rearview mirror.
if I had known that I would have stolen your years ago!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

C2S with powerkit, PDK, PDCC+PASM, and sport design aerokit ... done and no messing around changing decklids which dont mate properly with the underlying decklid etc...

done... next question?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
C2S with powerkit, PDK, PDCC+PASM, and sport design aerokit ... done and no messing around changing decklids which dont mate properly with the underlying decklid etc...

done... next question?
Just saw this exact spec car at the local dealership and it's the cat's a$$ !!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 sans rear wing???