Sponsored by:

2013 GT3 Technical features video...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
new vid .... shows lots of shifting despite the terrible voiceover... now claims 0-100 is 3.5s (not 3.3)

chassis & engine
I believe all the (track) video's Porsche has given us (USA potential customers) should come with a CLEAR disclaimer that states: "If you do this you WILL lose your warranty"

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I think the car looks freaking awesome!!! Wait and see for me with respect to the durability of the engine/tranny. Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That makes sense. Honestly, I'd love to see confirmation of that 8ms VW/DSG time. Why would AP make claims for the new Porsche PDK that he knows could be bested by the box used by the rest of the VW group in it's mainline cars? Besides, it seems completely unrealistic not just in comparison to the other automanual shift times shown above, but when evaluated against my own experience owning both a DSG Audi and a PDK Carrera S.
The VW group's DSG is a mainstream product designed mainly for fuel efficiency, not performance. That said, the 8ms preselected shift time is the official number from VW for the Golf GTI. I have not seen a number for non-preselected gears, but from own experience it is far above 100ms (a noticeable delay like a conventional torque converter automatic transmission).

The PDK in the 997 Carrera can shift in 8ms in Sport Plus mode when the next gear is preselected and 200ms when the next gear is non-preselected. Hence the 100ms for the GT3's PDK is very impressive. To put in perspective, 100ms is the number which has been quoted (unofficial) for the BorgWarner/Aichi transmission in the Nissan GT-R when the next gear is preselected.

The GT3 PDK has, in addition to the shorter gear ratios, updated hydraulics and software. The shift times are supposedly close to 60% faster than the current PDK in the Carrera. This has been achieved by optimising the clutch-filling hydraulics and the overlapping opening/closing of the clutches. While I have not driven the new GT3 I think it will be nothing less than sensational in gear shifting.

To complete the picture, Audi has an in-house designed DSG called S-tronic which is used in the S and R (post facelift) cars and is almost identical to the current Porsche PDK. The main difference between all these DSG transmissions is the clutch pack and the software. The mainstream VW DSG uses two dry clutches, one for the odd gears and one for the even, while the S-tronic and PDK uses multiple wet clutches to handle the higher torque.

To everyone who keep bashing Porsche for having removed the link to racing with the new GT3, don't forget that the dual-clutch transmissions are derived from Porsche's in-house development for 962 racing cars.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
new vid .... shows lots of shifting despite the terrible voiceover... now claims 0-100 is 3.5s (not 3.3)

chassis & engine
Torque and HP graph from the video -
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
The VW group's DSG is a mainstream product designed mainly for fuel efficiency, not performance. That said, the 8ms preselected shift time is the official number from VW for the Golf GTI. I have not seen a number for non-preselected gears, but from own experience it is far above 100ms (a noticeable delay like a conventional torque converter automatic transmission).

The PDK in the 997 Carrera can shift in 8ms in Sport Plus mode when the next gear is preselected and 200ms when the next gear is non-preselected. Hence the 100ms for the GT3's PDK is very impressive. To put in perspective, 100ms is the number which has been quoted (unofficial) for the BorgWarner/Aichi transmission in the Nissan GT-R when the next gear is preselected.

The GT3 PDK has, in addition to the shorter gear ratios, updated hydraulics and software. The shift times are supposedly close to 60% faster than the current PDK in the Carrera. This has been achieved by optimising the clutch-filling hydraulics and the overlapping opening/closing of the clutches. While I have not driven the new GT3 I think it will be nothing less than sensational in gear shifting.

To complete the picture, Audi has an in-house designed DSG called S-tronic which is used in the S and R (post facelift) cars and is almost identical to the current Porsche PDK. The main difference between all these DSG transmissions is the clutch pack and the software. The mainstream VW DSG uses two dry clutches, one for the odd gears and one for the even, while the S-tronic and PDK uses multiple wet clutches to handle the higher torque.

To everyone who keep bashing Porsche for having removed the link to racing with the new GT3, don't forget that the dual-clutch transmissions are derived from Porsche's in-house development for 962 racing cars.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
JAL
8th Gear

Default We'll see!

Like many of you, I have mixed feelings about the new GT3. I am sure it will be quicker around the track and will move the outright performance) game on. If Porsche wants to be a leader in the performance car category, it needs a car like this. It has committed itself to a PDK-only path - vs. providing at least an option for a manual (like BMW does in its M cars).

The trouble is, most of us have GT3 and GT3 RSs because they are not only fast, but incredibly involving to drive. While I am sure a 9000 RPM shift in <100ms via an enhanced PDK will be fun - I am not sure it will match or exceed the experience of doing a manual shift at 8,400 RPMs in 750ms.

I don't want a naturally aspirated, lighter (and perhaps more involving) Nissan GTR-like experience. I want a Porsche 911 GT3 experience taken up to the next level with more power, more grip and more feel/involvement. What say you?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by JAL
I don't want a naturally aspirated, lighter (and perhaps more involving) Nissan GTR-like experience. I want a Porsche 911 GT3 experience taken up to the next level with more power, more grip and more feel/involvement. What say you?
I say time will tell. Until we have driven the car we don't know. Although I would be surprised, and equally disappointed, if the new car does not offer more in these categories than the outgoing model.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Torque and HP graph from the video -
I found that graph both exciting and concerning:

1) Torque. 440ftlbs? That's a LOT more than the old GT3's 317ftlb
2) Significant drop in power after 8250rpms and continues to drop until redline. One of the characteristics of a fun to drive engine is power that continues to build until redline. This is makes things more exciting as you are 'gunning' for the redline rather than waiting for the redline to come to you. I'm concerned that the significant power dip that occurs prior to redline won't make the 9k rpm redline quite as exciting as it sounds.... ?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM
JAL
8th Gear

That's 440 nm, not lbft
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JAL
That's 440 nm, not lbft
Whoops!! Now that makes more sense.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I found that graph both exciting and concerning:

2) Significant drop in power after 8250rpms and continues to drop until redline. One of the characteristics of a fun to drive engine is power that continues to build until redline.
No need to worry, identical dip on the current GT3 and so far I did not hear anyone complain about it not screaming towards the redline Only difference on the current GT3 is that it has less power and the dip starts earlier.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AP keeps saying the fastest shifting transmission , i dont get it.
Scud and Italia are in 50 to 60 ms
Maclaren is also in 50 ms
Aventador is 40 ms upshifts

Shift speed is shift speed whether its single or double clutch trans, curious to see what comes out when the technical materials are out with few test drives.

But this new car is very promising , from that video the shifts sound good. Maybe its engaging like the scud , every shift you feel a thud!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
AP keeps saying the fastest shifting transmission , i dont get it.
Scud and Italia are in 50 to 60 ms
Maclaren is also in 50 ms
Aventador is 40 ms upshifts

Shift speed is shift speed whether its single or double clutch trans, curious to see what comes out when the technical materials are out with few test drives.

But this new car is very promising , from that video the shifts sound good. Maybe its engaging like the scud , every shift you feel a thud!
From post #33 above, there is a difference in speed in shifting when the next gear is pre-selected and when it is not. The new PDK can shift in 8ms when the next gear is preselected (as predicted by the computer) and 100ms when it is not. The times you quote are apparently pre-selected gearshift times.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
No need to worry, identical dip on the current GT3 and so far I did not hear anyone complain about it not screaming towards the redline Only difference on the current GT3 is that it has less power and the dip starts earlier.
I don't know.....

Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
From post #33 above, there is a difference in speed in shifting when the next gear is pre-selected and when it is not. The new PDK can shift in 8ms when the next gear is preselected (as predicted by the computer) and 100ms when it is not. The times you quote are apparently pre-selected gearshift times.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_15.html

Based on this article scud 60 ms is when its not pre selected.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT3 Technical features video...