2013 GT3 Technical features video... - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

2013 GT3 Technical features video...

 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  #31  
mike2727
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mike2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 316
Default

Originally Posted by HiWind View Post
new vid .... shows lots of shifting despite the terrible voiceover... now claims 0-100 is 3.5s (not 3.3)

chassis & engine
I believe all the (track) video's Porsche has given us (USA potential customers) should come with a CLEAR disclaimer that states: "If you do this you WILL lose your warranty"

Mike
mike2727 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
  #32  
996FLT6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
996FLT6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: san francisco
Posts: 10,645
Default

I think the car looks freaking awesome!!! Wait and see for me with respect to the durability of the engine/tranny. Mike
996FLT6 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
  #33  
StirlingMoss
User
 
StirlingMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
That makes sense. Honestly, I'd love to see confirmation of that 8ms VW/DSG time. Why would AP make claims for the new Porsche PDK that he knows could be bested by the box used by the rest of the VW group in it's mainline cars? Besides, it seems completely unrealistic not just in comparison to the other automanual shift times shown above, but when evaluated against my own experience owning both a DSG Audi and a PDK Carrera S.
The VW group's DSG is a mainstream product designed mainly for fuel efficiency, not performance. That said, the 8ms preselected shift time is the official number from VW for the Golf GTI. I have not seen a number for non-preselected gears, but from own experience it is far above 100ms (a noticeable delay like a conventional torque converter automatic transmission).

The PDK in the 997 Carrera can shift in 8ms in Sport Plus mode when the next gear is preselected and 200ms when the next gear is non-preselected. Hence the 100ms for the GT3's PDK is very impressive. To put in perspective, 100ms is the number which has been quoted (unofficial) for the BorgWarner/Aichi transmission in the Nissan GT-R when the next gear is preselected.

The GT3 PDK has, in addition to the shorter gear ratios, updated hydraulics and software. The shift times are supposedly close to 60% faster than the current PDK in the Carrera. This has been achieved by optimising the clutch-filling hydraulics and the overlapping opening/closing of the clutches. While I have not driven the new GT3 I think it will be nothing less than sensational in gear shifting.

To complete the picture, Audi has an in-house designed DSG called S-tronic which is used in the S and R (post facelift) cars and is almost identical to the current Porsche PDK. The main difference between all these DSG transmissions is the clutch pack and the software. The mainstream VW DSG uses two dry clutches, one for the odd gears and one for the even, while the S-tronic and PDK uses multiple wet clutches to handle the higher torque.

To everyone who keep bashing Porsche for having removed the link to racing with the new GT3, don't forget that the dual-clutch transmissions are derived from Porsche's in-house development for 962 racing cars.
StirlingMoss is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  #34  
sunnyr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sunnyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,162
Default

Originally Posted by HiWind View Post
new vid .... shows lots of shifting despite the terrible voiceover... now claims 0-100 is 3.5s (not 3.3)

chassis & engine
Torque and HP graph from the video -
Attached Images  
sunnyr is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
  #35  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss View Post
The VW group's DSG is a mainstream product designed mainly for fuel efficiency, not performance. That said, the 8ms preselected shift time is the official number from VW for the Golf GTI. I have not seen a number for non-preselected gears, but from own experience it is far above 100ms (a noticeable delay like a conventional torque converter automatic transmission).

The PDK in the 997 Carrera can shift in 8ms in Sport Plus mode when the next gear is preselected and 200ms when the next gear is non-preselected. Hence the 100ms for the GT3's PDK is very impressive. To put in perspective, 100ms is the number which has been quoted (unofficial) for the BorgWarner/Aichi transmission in the Nissan GT-R when the next gear is preselected.

The GT3 PDK has, in addition to the shorter gear ratios, updated hydraulics and software. The shift times are supposedly close to 60% faster than the current PDK in the Carrera. This has been achieved by optimising the clutch-filling hydraulics and the overlapping opening/closing of the clutches. While I have not driven the new GT3 I think it will be nothing less than sensational in gear shifting.

To complete the picture, Audi has an in-house designed DSG called S-tronic which is used in the S and R (post facelift) cars and is almost identical to the current Porsche PDK. The main difference between all these DSG transmissions is the clutch pack and the software. The mainstream VW DSG uses two dry clutches, one for the odd gears and one for the even, while the S-tronic and PDK uses multiple wet clutches to handle the higher torque.

To everyone who keep bashing Porsche for having removed the link to racing with the new GT3, don't forget that the dual-clutch transmissions are derived from Porsche's in-house development for 962 racing cars.
Thanks for the clarification.
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
  #36  
JAL
User
 
JAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 8
Default We'll see!

Like many of you, I have mixed feelings about the new GT3. I am sure it will be quicker around the track and will move the outright performance) game on. If Porsche wants to be a leader in the performance car category, it needs a car like this. It has committed itself to a PDK-only path - vs. providing at least an option for a manual (like BMW does in its M cars).

The trouble is, most of us have GT3 and GT3 RSs because they are not only fast, but incredibly involving to drive. While I am sure a 9000 RPM shift in <100ms via an enhanced PDK will be fun - I am not sure it will match or exceed the experience of doing a manual shift at 8,400 RPMs in 750ms.

I don't want a naturally aspirated, lighter (and perhaps more involving) Nissan GTR-like experience. I want a Porsche 911 GT3 experience taken up to the next level with more power, more grip and more feel/involvement. What say you?
JAL is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  #37  
StirlingMoss
User
 
StirlingMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by JAL View Post
I don't want a naturally aspirated, lighter (and perhaps more involving) Nissan GTR-like experience. I want a Porsche 911 GT3 experience taken up to the next level with more power, more grip and more feel/involvement. What say you?
I say time will tell. Until we have driven the car we don't know. Although I would be surprised, and equally disappointed, if the new car does not offer more in these categories than the outgoing model.
StirlingMoss is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM
  #38  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,552
Default

Originally Posted by sunnyr View Post
Torque and HP graph from the video -
I found that graph both exciting and concerning:

1) Torque. 440ftlbs? That's a LOT more than the old GT3's 317ftlb
2) Significant drop in power after 8250rpms and continues to drop until redline. One of the characteristics of a fun to drive engine is power that continues to build until redline. This is makes things more exciting as you are 'gunning' for the redline rather than waiting for the redline to come to you. I'm concerned that the significant power dip that occurs prior to redline won't make the 9k rpm redline quite as exciting as it sounds.... ?
orthojoe is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM
  #39  
JAL
User
 
JAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 8
Default

That's 440 nm, not lbft
JAL is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
  #40  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,552
Default

Originally Posted by JAL View Post
That's 440 nm, not lbft
Whoops!! Now that makes more sense.
orthojoe is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
  #41  
StirlingMoss
User
 
StirlingMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I found that graph both exciting and concerning:

2) Significant drop in power after 8250rpms and continues to drop until redline. One of the characteristics of a fun to drive engine is power that continues to build until redline.
No need to worry, identical dip on the current GT3 and so far I did not hear anyone complain about it not screaming towards the redline Only difference on the current GT3 is that it has less power and the dip starts earlier.
StirlingMoss is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
  #42  
vf430
User
 
vf430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Posts: 370
Default

AP keeps saying the fastest shifting transmission , i dont get it.
Scud and Italia are in 50 to 60 ms
Maclaren is also in 50 ms
Aventador is 40 ms upshifts

Shift speed is shift speed whether its single or double clutch trans, curious to see what comes out when the technical materials are out with few test drives.

But this new car is very promising , from that video the shifts sound good. Maybe its engaging like the scud , every shift you feel a thud!
vf430 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  #43  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by vbmw335i View Post
AP keeps saying the fastest shifting transmission , i dont get it.
Scud and Italia are in 50 to 60 ms
Maclaren is also in 50 ms
Aventador is 40 ms upshifts

Shift speed is shift speed whether its single or double clutch trans, curious to see what comes out when the technical materials are out with few test drives.

But this new car is very promising , from that video the shifts sound good. Maybe its engaging like the scud , every shift you feel a thud!
From post #33 above, there is a difference in speed in shifting when the next gear is pre-selected and when it is not. The new PDK can shift in 8ms when the next gear is preselected (as predicted by the computer) and 100ms when it is not. The times you quote are apparently pre-selected gearshift times.
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM
  #44  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,552
Default

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss View Post
No need to worry, identical dip on the current GT3 and so far I did not hear anyone complain about it not screaming towards the redline Only difference on the current GT3 is that it has less power and the dip starts earlier.
I don't know.....



orthojoe is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM
  #45  
vf430
User
 
vf430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
From post #33 above, there is a difference in speed in shifting when the next gear is pre-selected and when it is not. The new PDK can shift in 8ms when the next gear is preselected (as predicted by the computer) and 100ms when it is not. The times you quote are apparently pre-selected gearshift times.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_15.html

Based on this article scud 60 ms is when its not pre selected.
vf430 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GT3 Technical features video...


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: