No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
... but that rear wheel steering ... It wonder if is strong enough for serious track time... And how predictable or linear it may be as you rotate the car ...
I agree, I want to see a lot of track miles on that system before I am a believer.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
As someone else pointed out you have contradicted your earlier post. You may think using an H patten manual is more involving. I don't.

Using an H pattern shifter is a dying and unnecessary excise. As I wrote the Brumos car is using a sequential manual, not even an H patten. If you are teaching people to use an H patten transmission on a race track you might as well be practicing jousting. It might be enjoyable to you but it isn't really productive in the larger scheme of things.

That said I do enjoy using the H patten manual in my 356 but in a track focused car there is just no reason for it. Different tools for different jobs.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

And again, why are you comparing a Rolex Cup car with a street GT3??? The only things they have in common are body shell & windshield...and manufacturer.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think the undertone in that video of Preuninger is that they were indeed chasing the GTR - that car humiliated Porsche. In many ways they didn't have a choice but to go 4WS, PDK, and Torque vectoring, while still making a streetable car.

I'm glad we didn't end up with a turbo.
Uh, they already have a 911 Turbo, and that's exactly where all this **** belonged, because the Turbo is the true GTR competitor. The GT3 is simply the "it" car, so they've instead used it's popularity as a showcase for the new gimmicks. They even admitted that 4-wheel steering was intended for the 991 Turbo, but they couldn't help themselves.

Sadly, the Turbo will also have all this crap, which is pointless and too much overlap between the 911 models from a technology & philosophy standpoint, IMO.

What's the point of 100 different 911 models if they all have the same crap.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Uh, they already have a 911 Turbo, and that's exactly where all this **** belonged, because the Turbo is the true GTR competitor. The GT3 is simply the "it" car, so they've instead used it's popularity as a showcase for the new gimmicks. They even admitted that 4-wheel steering was intended for the 991 Turbo, but they couldn't help themselves.

Sadly, the Turbo will also have all this crap, which is pointless and too much overlap between the 911 models from a technology & philosophy standpoint, IMO.
Yup, spot-on.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Agreed. As stated elsewhere, it seems the sales guys finally succeeded in rolling over AP and this is the result - the 14% price jump is evidence enough that the margin grab is on.

A faster car no doubt but much further away from the true GT3 soul.

Drop 100-150lbs and provide a manual option (PDK is fine for those that want it) then I'd be a lot more interested.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agreed. As stated elsewhere, it seems the sales guys finally succeeded in rolling over AP and this is the result - the 14% price jump is evidence enough that the margin grab is on.

A faster car no doubt but much further away from the true GT3 soul.

Drop 100-150lbs and provide a manual option (PDK is fine for those that want it) then I'd be a lot more interested.
There's nothing "GT3" about this new car except the mirrors that it shares with the cup car. Suspension, engine, transmission - never seen a race car.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serious question: Why do a lot of people consider the GT3 a track only car? And focus on lap times and on the logic of PDK being much faster, etc, etc? I don't get it. It's a heavy, expensive car to buy and maintain.

If you want a serious track car the GT3 is not the best option. Get a Radical or something along those lines. It will be much faster, cheaper, more involving (it's "rawer", lighter, more aero, etc, etc) and a more intense experience.

For me the GT3 is the best possible "road racer" car, i.e. one that you can enjoy day to day driving and, when the opportunity arises, also take it to the track. Something that allows you to make a European roadtrip, drive in the ring and all the way back with usability yet great involvement and driving pleasure. At all speeds. Although I do get that autos are the way forward and that many people may actually really enjoy more driving with PDKs, I don't get the arguments against manual.

If you're not a professional racer you buy these cars for enjoyment, for feel, for driving pleasure. If you care about shaving 1 second off your lap times either invest in driving tuition or, again, buy a Radical, or second hand single seater.

I love manual boxes and it's a central part of driving pleasure to me. I'm saving up for that Ariel Atom, I'll keep my Cayman for road trips with the missus and the Atom for solo blasts! :-)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by lusoporsche
Serious question: Why do a lot of people consider the GT3 a track only car? And focus on lap times and on the logic of PDK being much faster, etc, etc? I don't get it. It's a heavy, expensive car to buy and maintain.

If you want a serious track car the GT3 is not the best option. Get a Radical or something along those lines. It will be much faster, cheaper, more involving (it's "rawer", lighter, more aero, etc, etc) and a more intense experience.

For me the GT3 is the best possible "road racer" car, i.e. one that you can enjoy day to day driving and, when the opportunity arises, also take it to the track. Something that allows you to make a European roadtrip, drive in the ring and all the way back with usability yet great involvement and driving pleasure. At all speeds. Although I do get that autos are the way forward and that many people may actually really enjoy more driving with PDKs, I don't get the arguments against manual.

If you're not a professional racer you buy these cars for enjoyment, for feel, for driving pleasure. If you care about shaving 1 second off your lap times either invest in driving tuition or, again, buy a Radical, or second hand single seater.

I love manual boxes and it's a central part of driving pleasure to me. I'm saving up for that Ariel Atom, I'll keep my Cayman for road trips with the missus and the Atom for solo blasts! :-)
Exactly. I don't even view Porsche as a car company anymore. They're a marketing company. Think about it: what other company markets a $150k car as a track day tool and then voids the warranty the second you step on track?

Simply brilliant.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly. I don't even view Porsche as a car company anymore. They're a marketing company. Think about it: what other company markets a $150k car as a track day tool and then voids the warranty the second you step on track?

Simply brilliant.
Very true. And, look at the **** with the centerlocks for another example of your point. They way they have handled that to date is utterly dispicable and unforgiveable. I wonder how many of the guys drinking the 991 GT3 kool aid will still be happy if the 4200 mi CL maintenance schedules applies to the new "masterpeice"?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another person has done the same soul-searching I have We only differ on my happiness with a paddle-shifted Hewland FTR vs a hand-stirred box of metal

I see you have Kool-aid Immunity Syndrome...
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Another person has done the same soul-searching I have We only differ on my happiness with a paddle-shifted Hewland FTR vs a hand-stirred box of metal
My only problem with that philosophy is that I'd have to have my racetrack at my home, hire someone to transport my toy back and forth to tracks, or drive a big, slow transporter of some type hundreds of miles for a few hours of fun.

Have you found an affordable way to around that?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Says the guy with the Challenge Stradale and Scuderia in his avatar
the main reason i've sold my ferraris is the trans.

great on track - -
no fun, not involving, boring on street
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 AM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
My only problem with that philosophy is that I'd have to have my racetrack at my home, hire someone to transport my toy back and forth to tracks, or drive a big, slow transporter of some type hundreds of miles for a few hours of fun.

Have you found an affordable way to around that?
Radicals, Ariel Atoms, Caterhams, are all street legal :-) (don't know in the states though). If you're doing hundreds of miles and then take to the track then it fits with (IMHO) the GT3 briefing is. Just find it strange the arguments that it's a track day car first and foremost, hence PDK, manuals are cr*p, etc...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
the main reason i've sold my ferraris is the trans.

great on track - -
no fun, not involving, boring on street
+1
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points. Certainly if lap times are people's only concerns they wouldn't opt for an NA, 6 cylinder, rear engine street car to begin with.

Quick Reply: No 6 speed in the GT3. Ugh.