Sponsored by:

The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread

Well, not a proper clutch anyway. I understand that the PDK is faster. It will make drivers faster. The car will be faster. But its moving a massive step away from a drivers car. No skill required, my 4 year old would be able to downshift rev match as fast as Michael Schumacher. That sucks. Maybe my age is showing, but I am really disappointed that Porsche is really truly going to do it without a 6 speed. Ugh.

PS. The interior is FAR too refined for my tastes. Is there a butler that serves you coffee from the cavernous interior as well?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I always thought one of the key attractions of the GT3 is the way so much of the technology is focused on creating a car that excels at transforming driver intent into action while providing exemplary handling and sensory feedback. If that holds then why would PDK not be considered an advance towards that goal?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

check out this new thread and pay attention to the PDK description.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7437...love-this.html
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

<sarcasm>Now the GT3 has nothing in common transmission-wise with all those Cup and RSR race cars...</sarcasm>
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
I always thought one of the key attractions of the GT3 is the way so much of the technology is focused on creating a car that excels at transforming driver intent into action while providing exemplary handling and sensory feedback. If that holds then why would PDK not be considered an advance towards that goal?
Don't get me wrong, its the purist in me that hates not having a clutch. But to me the GT3 has been one of the last remaining "pure" drivers cars. A huge part of that is a clutch and a manual gearbox. It's not about setting the fastest lap, its about the best driver. When a single pull of a lever simultaneously shifts perfectly for you every time and rev matches perfectly you remove the driver skill from the equation. It's the same thing I hate about the Nissan GTR. I drove one in Las Vegas and hated it with a passion. It did FAR too much for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm so sad they didn't put a side stripe on the 997 GT with "Real Drivers Car" in italics.

Are you kidding me? Dry sump 3.8 with 475 HP and Godzilla torque, Cup speed PDK and 7 close ratio gears and power up over 8k on the way to 9, and paddle that can slip the clutches. At a price just a bit north of what C4Sers have been paying (ok, bitching about). Holy titanium, Batman!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tisibeast
Don't get me wrong, its the purist in me that hates not having a clutch. But to me the GT3 has been one of the last remaining "pure" drivers cars. A huge part of that is a clutch and a manual gearbox. It's not about setting the fastest lap, its about the best driver. When a single pull of a lever simultaneously shifts perfectly for you every time and rev matches perfectly you remove the driver skill from the equation. It's the same thing I hate about the Nissan GTR. I drove one in Las Vegas and hated it with a passion. It did FAR too much for me.
I guess you can get a 997 GT3... but that has a lot of tech in it too... Maybe just stick with an original 911 from 1963...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I'm so sad they didn't put a side stripe on the 997 GT with "Real Drivers Car" in italics.

Are you kidding me? Dry sump 3.8 with 475 HP and Godzilla torque, Cup speed PDK and 7 close ratio gears and power up over 8k on the way to 9, and paddle that can slip the clutches. At a price just a bit north of what C4Sers have been paying (and bitching about. Holy titanium, Batman!
I know right... The thing looks to be freakin awesome.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

You're late to the party.
There is a month old thread on the GT3 forum with over 1000 posts already.

And the torque is still 325 ft-pounds. Godzilla is safe.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

Are you kidding me? Dry sump 3.8 with 475 HP and Godzilla torque, Cup speed PDK and 7 close ratio gears and power up over 8k on the way to 9, and paddle that can slip the clutches. At a price just a bit north of what C4Sers have been paying (ok, bitching about). Holy titanium, Batman!
Agreed...this thing is awesome!

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Godzilla is safe.
Agree with this too ;-)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
There are many of us who take a great deal of pleasure in driving a manual transmission with a clutch pedal. The heel / toe rev matching skill is something we take pride in. When I took my car in for servicing last summer I was given a 997 with PDK. I really loved it for the first 15 minutes, found it tolerable for the next 15, but then found it down right boring after that. Nevertheless, I know that the handwriting is on the wall, and clutch pedals are on the way out.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
There are many of us who take a great deal of pleasure in driving a manual transmission with a clutch pedal. The heel / toe rev matching skill is something we take pride in. When I took my car in for servicing last summer I was given a 997 with PDK. I really loved it for the first 15 minutes, found it tolerable for the next 15, but then found it down right boring after that. Nevertheless, I know that the handwriting is on the wall, and clutch pedals are on the way out.
Yeah, I learned heel/toe rev matching on my first VW in 1966 and continued with Porsche in 1974 and kept at it for 38 years with four others. So easy on the newer cars where the lever mostly finds the gears, yawn. Loving the 991 PDK and the GT3 sounds all the more fun.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Tisibeast
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
I LOVE heel toe rev matching, I do it every day - every shift. I have a BMW E36 race car - manual trans, no power brakes, no ABS. Pure me and the car. No gismo's to save me if I get out of shape, pure driving excitement. My buddy with the E46 that makes 390HP and has a proper SMG is substantially faster. But I can almost guarantee you I have more fun than he does. And bigger still I break FAR less often than he does. There is always some gizmo that puts the car in the trailer early for the weekend. And he falls back on his Rousch 6 speed mustang. It doesn't break.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tisibeast
No skill required, my 4 year old would be able to downshift rev match as fast as Michael Schumacher.
Michael Schumacher probably sucks at driving stick.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

no manual = NO SALE

Quick Reply: The first I hate that the new GT3 doesnt have a clutch thread