you VILL love this

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
What does he mean, at 6:10, when he says "the crankcase is a raw part, its not a machined part"?
Did you decipher the comments on the engine?
As I hear it, he's saying very few parts are in common between the Carrera 3.8 and the GT3 3.8.
The crankcase as a raw part is the same, but the machining is different. This would mean bearing sizes, oil pumps, scavenging pickup, galleries, squirters, return lines, seals, can all be completely different (and probably accommodate various displacements. I wonder how "big" that case can go? 4.4? 4.6?
I guess if the new turbo comes with the same case and heads, capable of direct injection, then a little whiff of triple-turbo boost wont matter.
The bolts that hold the cylinder heads to the crank case. I guess the Carrera engine has some over-engineered components that proved stout enough to hold up during GT3 testing. Normally these are expensive line items and not "one size fits all" just because of the cost of materials.
The timing chain (turns valve gear in synchronous with the crank, give or take variable valve timing.) This would be no surprise.
The "generator" (aka alternator) which is a bit of surprise because these can be made to any spec and the GT3 is said to need a beefier electrical supply for the rear steer brushless motors. Perhaps that's entirely the battery (which also doesn't make sense, but I've already tried to think that through in a post here somewhere.) Perhaps they came up with trick alternator/regulator unit that's less parasitic and handles things like engine stop-start better than a normal unit.
I wonder if the GT3 will have stop-start? I guess it should, to do a little better on fuel consumption, but it doesn't seem to have the requisite button.
Has anyone seen a diagram of the GT3 heads and the rocker arm valve gear?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
DI wonder if the GT3 will have stop-start? I guess it should, to do a little better on fuel consumption, but it doesn't seem to have the requisite button.
Has anyone seen a diagram of the GT3 heads and the rocker arm valve gear?
No stop-start, no sailing, no ECO upshift, no kick down.

Yes, I have seen the diagram.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
No stop-start, no sailing, no ECO upshift, no kick down.

Yes, I have seen the diagram.
No sailing? That's one of my "favorite" features on the road. Seriously! I live at the end of 10 miles of road up a 2000 "mountain" and going downhill, "sailing" is just the right pace to not need to brake or accelerate between several turns. Now I'm really disappointed! : )

FWIW, start-stop doesn't bother me one way or the other, but it annoys my wife when she's driving the car. Her route when the car is in schoolbus mode encounters a couple of intersections that require stopping, creeping forward, then taking a gap to enter the flow of traffic. Start-stop invariably makes the wrong decision every (!) step of the way through those intersections: it shuts off just when you need to creep forward, it stays on once you're sure to be stopped and then it's off again just when you want to move out into traffic.

I've developed a heel-toe to blip the accelerator to convince start-stop to ring two bells in the engine room, but if you're wearing the wrong kind of heels, that's not an option. : )
Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've developed a heel-toe to blip the accelerator to convince start-stop to ring two bells in the engine room, but if you're wearing the wrong kind of heels, that's not an option. : )

Quick Reply: you VILL love this