Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing an RS in the Bay Area: Carlsen or Rector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Both dealerships have fantastic reputations for both service and sales.

As I think you can see a number of us disagree with the statement above. A number of us who have direct experience as customers.
Your best bet is to call both service departments, determine the wait time for an appointment, and choose the one that fits your schedule the best. It seems you are just getting an annual service and oil change, so there’s no need to drive an extra hour because a couple guys on the internet have a grudge against a particular sales department.

I think it’s what most people do. However the OP asked for opinions.

I’m personally willing to drive the extra (half) hour and I’ll recommend others consider doing so as well. There are not many avenues to influence dealer practices, and voting with customer feet is perhaps the best one. A straight dealer is making a choice to forego short term profit for long term customer loyalty, something I both respect and will reward with my business now and in the future. Painting those of us passing our opinions as hypocritical flippers, etc? It again makes me wonder what your connection to dealers and agenda is.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
As I think you can see a number of us disagree with the statement above. A number of us who have direct experience as customers.
[color=#333333]
I think it’s what most people do. However the OP asked for opinions.

I’m personally willing to drive the extra (half) hour and I’ll recommend others consider doing so as well. There are not many avenues to influence dealer practices, and voting with customer feet is perhaps the best one. A straight dealer is making a choice to forego short term profit for long term customer loyalty, something I both respect and will reward with my business now and in the future. Painting those of us passing our opinions as hypocritical flippers, etc? It again makes me wonder what your connection to dealers and agenda is.

ding ding ding, corner him boys.....lets get her done! he alludes to a mob mentality, grab the pitchforks!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3
How do you avoid door dings if not parallel parking? park far away or just accept it?
come drive with me. u will see how I park. ur car may be dinged. I have friends cars around me or I find snort space or I sit next to my car or I just dknt lark.

CW
I appreciate ur gentlemanly response. let’s just say it’s not an misunderstanding when u are in town dinner on me. we can chat up a good laughter i’m sure. all this occurred after many years of patronize and ended in 2007. it’s long and cannot be explain in paper. yes someone find theirs story. it’s abour making money.

but its bwen been a while and i’m older now. I just spend my hard earned money where they welcome me with open hands and junk food.

I encourage everyone to find their own good dealer but if u want MY opinion well u got it

i parked here at skylonda 12noon 7/11/19 tonresponds as to how I park
Old 07-11-2019, 05:40 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
savedra at Monterey is good
Paul moved to New Zealand. I really liked the work he has done on my cars. I guess I'll check out Fremont as well.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RDCR
Paul moved to New Zealand. I really liked the work he has done on my cars. I guess I'll check out Fremont as well.
oh ****
didn’t know
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

CW
I appreciate ur gentlemanly response. let’s just say it’s not an misunderstanding when u are in town dinner on me. we can chat up a good laughter i’m sure. all this occurred after many years of patronize and ended in 2007. it’s long and cannot be explain in paper. yes someone find theirs story. it’s abour making money.

but its bwen been a while and i’m older now. I just spend my hard earned money where they welcome me...
12 years? That’s a long time ago, sir. Remember, part of the function of memory is to forget the stuff that doesn’t matter. No one wants to memorize a telephone book or hold grudges for 12 years, and I’d argue both are equally useless.

In any case, I wish you the best Mooty. Perhaps one of these days, we can wear some excessively tight shorts and have a Pilsner together.

Cheers.

Last edited by ChicagoWhale; 07-11-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

12 years? That’s a long time ago, sir. Remember, part of the function of memory is to forget the stuff that doesn’t matter. No one wants to memorize a telephone book or hold grudges for 12 years, and I’d argue both are equally useless.

In any case, I wish you the best Mooty. Perhaps one of these days, we can wear some excessively tight shorts and have a Pilsner together.

Cheers.
u r wiser than i

and i look forward to meeting
Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Same with iPhilips. I"m sure he's a good guy, but his characterization of Carlson is completely unfair. It was impossible to order a 911 GTS in the US for most of last year, and he knows this. I'm not sure how this is Carlson's fault, or what his motivation is to misrepresent this. 911 allocations were diverted to Europe last year so they could get produced before the particulate filter law commenced.
I'm happy to share my experience. People can judge for themselves.

So after I bought the Macan, which is a whole other story, I went back to my SA and started down the path of a 911 GTS. Allocation are tough, we all know that. They assured me they could get one, I didn't believe them but, they insisted they could get one. So sure I dropped a deposit as a show of good will. They wanted $15k. I didn't like it but gave them it anyway.

So days and weeks go by and nothing from them. Like nothing. I ping and ask for status, get the run around but nothing of substance. I ask them to work with other dealers if the need to (we had not set a price at this point). Weeks go by and still nothing.

So yeah, I still want a car and start the process. Find a bunch of similar cars on lots and a few in bound with other dealers. More time passes and nothing from the SA. Eventually I'm over it and find what I want on the lot (new). Make the transaction and close the deal with another dealer.

Carlsen did refund my deposit with no issue but the SA was annoyed with me that I made the deal.

Why am I not a fan? Firstly don't say you have or can get an allocation. Don't take a person good faith deposit if you can't follow up. Don't keep your customer in the dark for 3 months. Don't get a sad when they walk on you.

Other dealers we're much better. They said no, or said it's super hard to get one for good reasons and proactively shared their inventory and inbound cars. They tried to make it work and didn't ask for a deposit. Followed up and ultimately made the sale. Oh, and they were all able to do under MSRP except.. wait for... Carlsen.

So the internet can judge if this is good or bad behavior from Carlsen and me. But for me, it's bad behavior.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by iphilips
I'm happy to share my experience. People can judge for themselves.

So after I bought the Macan, which is a whole other story, I went back to my SA and started down the path of a 911 GTS. Allocation are tough, we all know that. They assured me they could get one, I didn't believe them but, they insisted they could get one. So sure I dropped a deposit as a show of good will. They wanted $15k. I didn't like it but gave them it anyway.

So days and weeks go by and nothing from them. Like nothing. I ping and ask for status, get the run around but nothing of substance. I ask them to work with other dealers if the need to (we had not set a price at this point). Weeks go by and still nothing.

So yeah, I still want a car and start the process. Find a bunch of similar cars on lots and a few in bound with other dealers. More time passes and nothing from the SA. Eventually I'm over it and find what I want on the lot (new). Make the transaction and close the deal with another dealer.

Carlsen did refund my deposit with no issue but the SA was annoyed with me that I made the deal.

Why am I not a fan? Firstly don't say you have or can get an allocation. Don't take a person good faith deposit if you can't follow up. Don't keep your customer in the dark for 3 months. Don't get a sad when they walk on you.

Other dealers we're much better. They said no, or said it's super hard to get one for good reasons and proactively shared their inventory and inbound cars. They tried to make it work and didn't ask for a deposit. Followed up and ultimately made the sale. Oh, and they were all able to do under MSRP except.. wait for... Carlsen.

So the internet can judge if this is good or bad behavior from Carlsen and me. But for me, it's bad behavior.
You’re exaggerating and embellishing your entire experience to make it seem far worse than it was. Anyone who is truly considering doing business with Carlsen should be made aware that your review is not an honest reflection of what happened. They should be able to see what you truly posted at the time of the incident and come to their own conclusions about your honesty.

In the review you posted above, you describe a "3 month" process of getting strung along, misled and kept in the dark -- "3 months" of arguably the worst Porsche ordering experience one could possibly make up.

Yet, the truth is, you already posted your experience which began on January 12, 2018 and it’s completely different. The truth begins here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...l#post14726640

Here is your one update, 2 weeks later on January 26. Still no allocations nationwide which you can't blame Carlsen for. You're frustrated by the "non-deterministic nature of the process," but that's not Carlsen's fault.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...l#post14757986

This ends on February 13th, when you posted that you had already purchased a different car at a different dealer the prior Saturday (February 9th).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...l#post14800106

I mentioned the dates, because they’re important. From the time you gave a deposit and instructed the sales associate to "start the process" until the date you purchased an in-stock car at another dealer was LESS THAN ONE MONTH.... January 12 to February 9th.

What happened to being strung along and kept in the dark for 3 months? The dealership can't help there are no allocations nationwide, and you gave him two weeks before you changed your strategy, broadened your option requirements, and went shopping for an in-stock car at another dealer, rather than waiting to order.

The truth is, you exaggerated this entire experience once it became known that you couldn't blame Carlsen for the fact there were no allocations nationwide.

Also, as an aside, no dealer requires a $15k deposit for a non-GT 911 order. Most dealers don't even require that on GT cars.

I know it's an egregious faux pas to defend Porsche dealerships on Rennlist, but at least make an effort to be honest about your criticisms.

I know it’s an egregious faux pas to defend Porsche dealerships on Rennlist, but at least make an attempt to be honest about your criticisms.
I know it’s an egregious faux pas to defend Porsche dealerships on Rennlist, but at least make an attempt to be honest about your criticisms

I know it’s an egregious faux pas to defend Porsche dealerships on Rennlist, but at least make an attempt to be honest about your criticisms.

Last edited by ChicagoWhale; 07-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM
iphilips
Racer

You’re exaggerating and embellishing your entire experience to make it seem far worse than it was. Anyone who is truly considering doing business with Carlsen should be made aware that your review is not an honest reflection of what happened. They should be able to see what you truly posted at the time of the incident and come to their own conclusions about your honesty.

In the review you posted above, you describe a "3 month" process of getting strung along, misled and kept in the dark -- "3 months" of arguably the worst Porsche ordering experience one could possibly make up.

Yet, the truth is, you already posted your experience which began on January 12, 2018 and it’s completely different. The truth begins here:
You're missing one important fact while trotting around on your high horse. - what date did I first contact Carlsen about this purchase? Not the date I posted on Rennlist in 2018. Please tell me this. Beginning to think you have some affiliation with Carlsen. This will be seen if you surface the date the discussions started.

So which is it? You know the date and work for/with Carlsen or you don't know the date and are talking out of turn?
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM
iphilips
Racer

Also, as an aside, no dealer requires a $15k deposit for a non-GT 911 order. Most dealers don't even require that on GT cars.
Here is the invoice from Carlsen. Yeah I made all of this up to bash a dealer on Rennlist.

The following users liked this post:
Agent_Orange (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Old 07-12-2019, 03:38 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

You told everyone you were strung along for over 3 months, and you specifically mentioned the date it started (January 12) in your post dated the same. On your final update, you told everyone the deposit was also given in January.

The refund date proves the whole thing ended on Feb 8. Looks like they gave your money back instantly.

Ask anyone, $15k is not normal and I suspect it's probably for a potential GT allocation and the GTS allocation together. There's no way to know except your word, and everything you've posted about this process has been proven wrong.

At this point, who cares. Move on, or you're welcome have the last word.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:57 PM
iphilips
Racer

you're welcome have the last word.
You twerp.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

As an obsever with no dog in this fight, there are many here with negative experiences. I take them at face value. The counterpoint reads more like that of a brand ambassador rather than that of a fellow enthusiast.

Chicago Whale: do you have a multitude of wonderful direct experiences with Carlsen to provide a counterpoint or just your opinion of indirect experience and marginalizing of others?
The following users liked this post:
Agent_Orange (07-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Servicing an RS in the Bay Area: Carlsen or Rector?