Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing an RS in the Bay Area: Carlsen or Rector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:39 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Carlsen seems to get beat up about sales, I would say that I’ve had a great history buying cars there. It is definitely an ADM dealership when it comes to GT cars, but I have negotiated considerable discounts on other ordered models. Seems long term relationships do come into play when it comes to price negotiations. I’ve been very happy with service there, and agree Beto is very competent and communicative.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:45 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesk777
Hey everyone,

Bay Area resident who recently acquired a used 991.1 RS and loving every minute with it. With a service coming up, I wanted to see if anyone had feedback on Carlsen or Rector Burlingame specifically regarding their service department. I live in Belmont so I'm literally right in the middle of those two dealers.

I tried searching for opinions but mainly only found feedback on Carlsen/Rector for their SAs.

Thanks in advance!

Charles
Both dealerships have fantastic reputations for both service and sales. Your best bet is to call both service departments, determine the wait time for an appointment, and choose the one that fits your schedule the best. It seems you are just getting an annual service and oil change, so there’s no need to drive an extra hour because a couple guys on the internet have a grudge against a particular sales department. The first rock chip you get because you drove an unnecessary extra hour will make you think twice about your decision.

Keep in mind, if someone on Rennlist gets offended because he can’t get a GT car at MSRP from a particular dealer, they smear the dealer endlessly for a couple years. But it doesn’t end there; then their internet cohorts jump on the smearing bandwagon and act equally offended and outraged, even though they had no interaction with the store. The irony (and hypocrisy) is that many of these same individuals find an allocation at another store and flip their GT cars after a few months without even driving it. It’s just what they do around here…it’s kinda like the movie Mean Girls, except these are "grown men.”
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenHouseRules (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Both dealerships have fantastic reputations for both service and sales. Your best bet is to call both service departments, determine the wait time for an appointment, and choose the one that fits your schedule the best. It seems you are just getting an annual service and oil change, so there’s no need to drive an extra hour because a couple guys on the internet have a grudge against a particular sales department. The first rock chip you get because you drove an unnecessary extra hour will make you think twice about your decision.

Keep in mind, if someone on Rennlist gets offended because he can’t get a GT car at MSRP from a particular dealer, they smear the dealer endlessly for a couple years. But it doesn’t end there; then their internet cohorts jump on the smearing bandwagon and act equally offended and outraged, even though they had no interaction with the store. The irony (and hypocrisy) is that many of these same individuals find an allocation at another store and flip their GT cars after a few months without even driving it. It’s just what they do around here…it’s kinda like the movie Mean Girls, except these are "grown men.”
You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions. All of my GT cars (save for one in Marin) were purchased in Walnut Creek at MSRP. There are very good reasons why I have my cars serviced in Fremont and it has nothing to do with getting cars at msrp. Fremont sales has no interest in my business, nor I in buying from them.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:07 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

sigh

keep in mind ChicagoWhale's comment may, or importantly may not, apply to the comments above as it relates to Carlsen Porsche aka Porsche Redwood City, opposed to a broader generalization that he uses to defend Porsche NA dealers. He sure loves to call out the witch hunt mob mentality, but fails to even address the utter BS sales tactics and lack of courtesy, respect, and transparency that sadly many Porsche employees/sales associates are seemingly incapable of. and I am not talking about an ADM or charging market price which is fine

I wouldn't **** on Carlsen's sales team if they were on fire, and that is based on a *direct* interaction with their sales team with a willingness to pay an ADM for a 991.2 GT3 allocation. That is while the pompous boys over there were boasting about how they have the most 918 customers on the West Coast FWIW
Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions. All of my GT cars (save for one in Marin) were purchased in Walnut Creek at MSRP. There are very good reasons why I have my cars serviced in Fremont and it has nothing to do with getting cars at msrp. Fremont sales has no interest in my business, nor I in buying from them.
My post isn't directed towards you. If you like a specific technician who has a great reputation in your region, I think that's fantastic.

However, I don't think it's necessary to drive that far for an oil change, air filters and no major issues. But still, I think it's great you recommend a person with whom you've had a great experience.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:58 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I tried to buy three Porsches from Carlsen in less than a 12 month period. A 991.2 GTS, a 991.2 GT3 and a Macan GTS. I had to pull teeth and offer human sacrifice to get the Macan deal closed. Both 911s fell through and another dealer got that business. I gave Carlsen the right of first refusal on each deal, trying to build a a relationship but got zero for my efforts. Except a pissed SA when I told him I went with another dealer.

So lesson learnt. When I need to replace the Macan and get a 992 or an RS in the next few years I won't be calling them again.

Others are welcome to make their own minds up and spend their $ at Carlsen. It's your money so I don't care 😀
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 2,345 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
I tried to buy three Porsches from Carlsen in less than a 12 month period. A 991.2 GTS, a 991.2 GT3 and a Macan GTS. I had to pull teeth and offer human sacrifice to get the Macan deal closed. Both 911s fell through and another dealer got that business. I gave Carlsen the right of first refusal on each deal, trying to build a a relationship but got zero for my efforts. Except a pissed SA when I told him I went with another dealer.

So lesson learnt. When I need to replace the Macan and get a 992 or an RS in the next few years I won't be calling them again.

Others are welcome to make their own minds up and spend their $ at Carlsen. It's your money so I don't care 😀
Thank goodness that I don't have to deal with stealerships like that anymore.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,851 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
sigh

That is while the pompous boys over there were boasting about how they have the most 918 customers on the West Coast FWIW
yes they do
but what they didn't tell you is how many of those 918 customers are upset with them...

msrp or not is not a big deal. plenty of stuff I pay over for.
problems I have issues with
1) lies; not just to me but many others
2) mistakes in ordering; they tried to blame customers until they were shown the email of the correct order...

while I am at it...
backed up customer's car and hit bumper
then next visit, same customer car, more "accident"

sold a car to customer, no accident (some times selling dealer truthfully do not know car been hit. but this time they knew. b/c I sold them the car that was hit and I showed them the big bill from my body shop, I told them it's hit that's why I am selling to them cheap)

sold me a car at msrp, at time of signing... there's a extra charge for $50k on the contract that we never talked or agreed to.

bought a car from me and agreed to a price. I showed up with car. they decide it was not "agreed to price - $5k"
now if the car was defective, I get it.
I asked why is it $5k less in just 15 minute.
they said, that's the price. no reason

this is all after 25+ cars purchased from them...

oh, my GT3RS wheels were scrapped while the mounted new tires. they blamed on me. I NEVER parallel park, it's kind of hard for me to scruff them up...

no one is perfect.
but when I fk up, I admit it and make it right.
but some ppl tries to point fingers or sweep things under the rug.

anyways, OP asked for opinion and here is ONE opinion
take it with grain of salt.
but on average I have 1-2 cars at the service bay every month, I do have a lot of interactions with dealers.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by iphilips

iPhillips — Thanks for sharing your perspective on trying to buy cars at Carlson last year.

When you tried to order a 911 GTS through them last year, is there anything more to the story you’d like to add? Or were they just impossible to do business with as you suggest? You know… so bad you’ll never buy another car from them ever again.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Thank goodness that I don't have to deal with stealerships like that anymore.
…. and here comes Martin through the door like Kramer sliding through Jerry’s apartment -- on time and on cue. Stealerships, Jerry! Stealerships!
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty

sold me a car at msrp, at time of signing... there's a extra charge for $50k on the contract that we never talked or agreed to.

bought a car from me and agreed to a price. I showed up with car. they decide it was not "agreed to price - $5k"

Those are incredible stories, Mooty! No wonder you hate them so much.

They added $50k to the price without telling you? That's terrible. It almost seems like a misunderstanding, or something.

And then you show up with a car that's been appraised sight unseen, and suddenly -- without explanation of anything -- they deduct $5,000? And when you ask why, they say "that's the price. No reason!" That's incredibly bizarre behavior for a dealership that's buying your car for inventory. "NO REASON!"

It almost sounds like the Seinfeld Soup Naz! episode. "No trade for you! Next!"

And wrecking everyone's cars, too....

What a mess! It's a good thing Martin doesn't have to deal with that anymore. Not sure if you've heard, but he found a dealership across the country that will do business with him.

In all seriousness, I know you're a true Porsche enthusiast, and I hope you're able to find a dealer where you don't have so many misunderstandings.

Last edited by ChicagoWhale; 07-11-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes they do
but what they didn't tell you is how many of those 918 customers are upset with them...

msrp or not is not a big deal. plenty of stuff I pay over for.
problems I have issues with
1) lies; not just to me but many others
2) mistakes in ordering; they tried to blame customers until they were shown the email of the correct order...

while I am at it...
backed up customer's car and hit bumper
then next visit, same customer car, more "accident"

sold a car to customer, no accident (some times selling dealer truthfully do not know car been hit. but this time they knew. b/c I sold them the car that was hit and I showed them the big bill from my body shop, I told them it's hit that's why I am selling to them cheap)

oh, my GT3RS wheels were scrapped while the mounted new tires. they blamed on me. I NEVER parallel park, it's kind of hard for me to scruff them up...

no one is perfect.
but when I fk up, I admit it and make it right.
but some ppl tries to point fingers or sweep things under the rug.

anyways, OP asked for opinion and here is ONE opinion
take it with grain of salt.
but on average I have 1-2 cars at the service bay every month, I do have a lot of interactions with dealers.
How do you avoid door dings if not parallel parking? park far away or just accept it?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Those are incredible stories, Mooty! No wonder you hate them so much.

They added $50k to the price without telling you? That's terrible. It almost seems like a misunderstanding, or something.

And then you show up with a car that's been appraised sight unseen, and suddenly -- without explanation of anything -- they deduct $5,000? And when you ask why, they say "that's the price. No reason!" That's incredibly bizarre behavior for a dealership that's buying your car for inventory. "NO REASON!"

It almost sounds like the Seinfeld Soup Naz! episode. "No trade for you! Next!"

And wrecking everyone's cars, too....

What a mess! It's a good thing Martin doesn't have to deal with that anymore. Not sure if you've heard, but he found a dealership across the country that will do business with him.

In all seriousness, I know you're a true Porsche enthusiast, and I hope you're able to find a dealer where you don't have so many misunderstandings.
but but but no, it's just about enthusiasts aren't getting cars at MSRP even with no purchase history and we are a mob mentality....

and I agree with you on Martin, look at the PTS Oak touring for 40k over I think from PNH with 90 miles. Wonder if that car was sold to MSRP then back and now over, don't get how that's not stealership esque but then again everyone is doing it
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Go to Porsche Marin!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:26 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 343 Likes on 176 Posts

26 Reviews is pretty pathetic for Carlsen, despite the 4.2 score. C.J. in Fresno is doing better with the score and # of reviews.

However, dealerships go for 3 - 10x multiple of normalized earnings based on the franchise and customer list. Yet, we still see double digit review counts. If I owned a dealership, I'd incentivize every customer to leave a review. So much of buying starts on the internet, it's an opportunity for the dealer to win with 10,000 positive reviews. The dealership with a paltry 26 reviews loses, as it probably should.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

I believe Mooty had misunderstandings with Carlson, and I also believe there’s two sides to every story. Dealers do not sneak $50k into contracts and hope buyers don't notice or question it. Dealers do not appraise cars for one price, change the price 15 minutes later and then blurt out "NO REASON" when questioned about it. I’m not questioning Mooty’s character; I’m just stressing the need to hear the other side of the story.

Same with iPhilips. I"m sure he's a good guy, but his characterization of Carlson is completely unfair. It was impossible to order a 911 GTS in the US for most of last year, and he knows this. I'm not sure how this is Carlson's fault, or what his motivation is to misrepresent this. 911 allocations were diverted to Europe last year so they could get produced before the particulate filter law commenced.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1050...l#post14807251

People have every right to criticize a dealer, but people should also be allowed to challenge it with a different perspective -- while others can make up their own mind.

Quick Reply: Servicing an RS in the Bay Area: Carlsen or Rector?