Sponsored by:

PCCB’s on All School cars at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
My shop in UK tells me they can send off the oem pccb's to be resurfaced?

How do the ST do on street? My car is prob 50/50 street/track.
This was a rumor but was never verified.. the reasoning seemed to be that the pccb are a "chopped" carbon filament which once the surface resin comes out of the rotor, it disintegrated. Supposedly there was a company which could reimpregnate the rotor with resin if it was addressed early in the decay of the rotor, but no one had every apparently verified this. This is in contrast to the ST rotors which Trakcar is talking about which CAN definitely be resurfaced. Please verify with your shop the details, we would all be very curious to find out if common assumption on pccb resurfacing is in fact incorrect
Old 06-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This was a rumor but was never verified.. the reasoning seemed to be that the pccb are a "chopped" carbon filament which once the surface resin comes out of the rotor, it disintegrated. Supposedly there was a company which could reimpregnate the rotor with resin if it was addressed early in the decay of the rotor, but no one had every apparently verified this. This is in contrast to the ST rotors which Trakcar is talking about which CAN definitely be resurfaced. Please verify with your shop the details, we would all be very curious to find out if common assumption on pccb resurfacing is in fact incorrect
I will talk to them next time I'm there. They are a well known and repilutsble shop outside London and claim they'll be the only ones in UK designated for this resurfacing going fwd. I'm equally curious and will let you know what I find. I may have misunderstood them because they also are a ST dealer an maybe they were referencing them?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some interesting points here. Several years ago my local Porsche dealer gave me a 1-day pass to Barber school. I went down and had a blast. I drove cars with PCCB brakes and was sold on them as performing better. When I ordered my 18 GT3 I did not hesitate to order PCCB's. I read a lot of threads advising against these but also noted how many of their high-end, track oriented, vehicles all had the PCCB's. Would they put them on a GT2/RS if they were not suited for track use?

If it was just a marketing ploy it worked on me...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Nine One
Some interesting points here. Several years ago my local Porsche dealer gave me a 1-day pass to Barber school. I went down and had a blast. I drove cars with PCCB brakes and was sold on them as performing better. When I ordered my 18 GT3 I did not hesitate to order PCCB's. I read a lot of threads advising against these but also noted how many of their high-end, track oriented, vehicles all had the PCCB's. Would they put them on a GT2/RS if they were not suited for track use?

If it was just a marketing ploy it worked on me...
It's not just a marketing ploy. They perform better. It's a cost/benefit question which is uniquely personal because only you know what you can afford and how you want to spend your money.

It think what the majority of heavy track users generally say is that the cost of Porsche OE PCCB is too expensive for their taste. And that's a fine conclusion. But there's no "right answer" to this topic IMHO.

FWIW - When I was using my RS as my primary track car I had iron brakes because I didn't want to bear the running costs of PCCB.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

PCCB's are fantastic, i don't think anyone is arguing there performance, its a ridiculous adventure is cash stupidity. They are out of their minds! 150k car, brakes and rotors are 7 % of the car cost. If they cut the costs down by 3x, everyone would probably accept the cost and swallow the additional dollars.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 AM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If it were performance (ignoring cost), wouldn’t the cup car have PCCB’s?

Could be a regulatory issue for the race car?

Either way, I agree it’s marketing to increase take rate.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Many (most) race series ban the use of them to help manage costs to keep the series as accessible to as many teams as possible, Cups included.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Many (most) race series ban the use of them to help manage costs to keep the series as accessible to as many teams as possible, Cups included.
The Porsche Supercup (not regular cup) cars run them. As of a few years ago they were replacing disks every other race weekend. The costs are very high.

The other arguments against are low pedal effort, the inability to run other pad compounds and the inability to run 18” wheels (and 19s are very tight, the barrels will get scratched). These are relatively minor factors for most, however- I’m one who feels the PCCB pedal is over-assisted, but cost no object I’d live with all of the above and run them. The trouble is the math: at 3k track miles I’d be in over 20% of the cost of my car (price of the option plus one disk change). And I’d much rather spend that on purple crack (Hoosiers) etc.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:47 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

i love PCCB performance - they are great no question - it’s purely a cost thing for me - anyone who wants to foot my $30k replacement bill please contact me so i can use my pccb’s the way porsche-god intended.

150k gt3 - 30k pccb brake job = 20% of total car cost to do a brake job when it comes time

using the porsche schools 3000 track miles replacement figure from post #1 on this thread @ 150 miles per track day (my personal average) = 20 track days - or 10 track weekends - or $3000/weekend to run PCCB’s - please compare this cost to $3500 total ($350 weekend) to run steels for the same 10 track weekends and get back to me.

please PM for my personal paypal account where you can send me funds for my PCCB replacement foundation for less fortunate track rats.

i would consider running PCCB’s at 2x cost of steels (but still complain) - but i can’t justify 10x costs for the minor performance improvement.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

ok - I"ll sweeten the deal for everyone out there that is willing to pay my PCCB bill - I'll only charge you the cost of the rotors and I'll personally cover the brake pad costs and miscellaneous screws and clip's and shop labor for a brake job

parts cost for 4 corner PCCB brake job from sun coast Porsche is $25,363.03 (+ shipping and sales tax)
but if you act today @daveo4porsche is throwing in the PCCB brake pads at _NO COST_ to you - a $838 value - lowering your cost to provide _ME_ with PCCB replacement rotors for my track habit - that's $24525 cost for the rotors and a 3% savings - ACT NOW and I'll provide you a signed picture of me smiling with my new PCCB rotors at the track! Hurry this offer will last forever and quantities are _NOT_ limited.

I'll cover the labor to have the brakes installed - and I'll make it even easier for you - for those that do not want to go to the trouble to place the order at sun coast for the parts - you can get me my PCCB rotors in 1 of 2 simple methods.

1. login onto the sun coast Porsche website - order the rotors and have them sent to BR Racing in Los Gatos CA c/o @daveo4porsche

or

2. login to honda.com and buy me a Honda Accord EX Hybrid (yes the entire car) for $27,620 - which is less the cost of a PCCB brake job - simply visit your local Honda dealer, purchase the car and sign the title over to me - if you're willing to do this I'll be happy to come pick the car from your location - NO SHIPPING costs for you - saving _YOU_ additional funds

yes - you can buy an entire hybrid car (the expensive one in the model line up) for about the same cost as one PCCB brake job.

I've received PM's from my friends on rennlist that have expressed "doubt" in the $30k per brake job assertion. For those of you who haven't seen it - the complete cost break down with source material can be found in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-watson-2.html

post #45

cost with parts, shipping, labor to install and sales tax ball parks out into approximately $29,136.60 (more that the Honda Accord EX hybrid listed above) - more if you had a Porsche dealer do the labor…

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG AND CITE YOUR SOURCES - I WOULD DESPERATELY LOVE TO FIND OUT EXACTLY HOW 100% WRONG I AM ON THIS SUBJECT - INTERNET DO YOUR JOB!!! Show me the $7000 PCCB brake job (still outrageously expensive) so I can track my GT3 with factory PCCB's.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
itrsteve (06-24-2019), montoya (06-24-2019), pdxjim (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 12:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah it's nuts to realize that 4 brake rotors, set of pads cost as much as a Honda....honestly it is stupid.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^^ LOL.

I bought a second set of ST rotors, one for each car.
After 15,000 miles on my .2RS on steel, I can’t go back.
They are that much better..

$13,000 to buy,
$600 to refurbish each time, and that’s later then when you would have to buy new OEM steel rotors.
Pads last almost twice as long, so each time you wear out steel rotors and pads VS ST refurb and longer lasting pads, you earn a little bit back from that initial investment.

Still more $$ then steel, but if you want to pound brakes to death all day in the heat and maintain same pedal feel, it’s the cheapest option.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

LOL that's awesome, a car for a set of brake rotors! Trouble is after you ditch the PCCBs then you can't impress your buddies by telling them how much a replacement rotor costs.

The 30 track days is highly driver and track dependent IMHO. If you are a little slower and don't run more then 20 minute sessions I think you can expect more days then that. I had 18 days on a GT4 when I switched the car over to girodiscs. When I sold the car to a dealer the PCCB rotors where down 4-5% according to the tech at the dealer. If I wear out the rotors on the GT3 I'll just switch to the ST rotors or AP Racing BBK and call it a day.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

^^^^ but TrackCar you sir are in another league!!!! LOL ;-)

If I could get a .2 GT3RS or order a new 992 RS down the road...I would get steel brakes and instead of spedining $10K on PCCB option I would spend $3k more for the ST rotors you run. That is how to do it. Not replace PCCB for Porsche $26k asking price...nope that is stupid unless you are a billionaire.

I like my PCCB on the street. I have very minimal track laps on them..2 de's both rain days mostly 1 session of dry running but I was mostly feeling the car out and PCCB once hot after a couple laps preformed great. I can see how the ST rotors would be the thing to have though.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:59 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

someone just posted these up for sale. Looks like a nice deal for OEM PCCB's.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...iscs-pads.html

Quick Reply: PCCB’s on All School cars at Barber