Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery Suggestions? and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:23 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Euro Delivery Suggestions? and questions

So I have the opportunity to do Euro Delivery in August. I tried searching but if you could post their euro delivery thread here that would be great, I've read about so many great trips and this has been on my bucket list.

I'm still trying to figure out if its worth it or not, I only have about 5 days to complete the trip and it sounds like many have taken more than a week.

Two questions,

1. Do they install the front plate because its a requirement in germany? I'm hoping not.
2. will they do a clear bra? or do they have a contractor that will come in and do it? i'm one of those guys that typically drives it straight from the dealer to the PPF guy so the car has it day one.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 782 Posts

On the form you can opt that they don’t drill.
For a few days do t bother with clear bra.

Stay longer: www.openpitlane.de
Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 838 Posts

1) Yes
2) No

Those have been answered in numerous threads. There also is a ED forum in case you missed it in your search.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:27 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I've done two EDs and planning a third and it is definitely worth it. (but this is another worth/value question.... ) Here is the forum. https://rennlist.com/forums/european...ce-center-236/

1. Yes. 2 No. Both of my Porsches did not have their bumper drilled. The first, I had to bring my own tow hook plate holder. The second, they used a decal for the plate. German law states that the plate needs to be center line so the tow hook plate option is not in compliance. I beleive that they are all doing the tow plate option now. Last I heard, they just make you sign a waiver that you release all liability that the plate is mounted in the wrong location.

I also made an extensive video about the specifics about ED below. It's 2 years old so some specifics may have changed.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:07 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

More about the experience but gives you some idea about it

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...very-blog.html
Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
1) Yes
2) No

Those have been answered in numerous threads. There also is a ED forum in case you missed it in your search.
Good call out. Sorry about that I check 4 forums and have no idea what else is on here. Will go check.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

With the 992, it looks like Clear Bra is a factory installed option. Very nice for ED...

Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
So I have the opportunity to do Euro Delivery in August. I tried searching but if you could post their euro delivery thread here that would be great, I've read about so many great trips and this has been on my bucket list.

I'm still trying to figure out if its worth it or not, I only have about 5 days to complete the trip and it sounds like many have taken more than a week.
Even with 5 days, I'd recommend the experience...East to the Black Forest, Nurburgring, Strasbourg, Luxembourg or West to Fussen, Neuschwanstein, Romantische Strasse, Switzerland? Even a stay in Como, with a drive through the passes would be awesome.

We just finished 3-ish weeks and went South because of the weather, but August should be nice.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...very-done.html

Originally Posted by jlee504
1. Do they install the front plate because its a requirement in germany? I'm hoping not.
2. will they do a clear bra? or do they have a contractor that will come in and do it? i'm one of those guys that typically drives it straight from the dealer to the PPF guy so the car has it day one.
Thanks!
They will ask you on the ED paperwork. If you say no, it's an adhesive backing with a velcro metal plate. When you drop off the car, they recommend taking the plate off as a souvenir (have to leave one on) and pulling off the adhesive backer.

There's a company that will have the PPF put on prior to delivery. When you pick it up, it'll be ready to go. Price was 2,120 Euro for front end and rear fenders.

Best of luck!

Last edited by C5driver; 06-17-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a roll of 40'x`18" of TracWrap for $200 and apply it yourself as temporary paint protection, cover headlights too. Get the real stuff when you are back in USA and not on a timetable where the German installer may or may not get to your car (one ED post)

https://www.xpel.com/tracwrap-18x40-...rotection-film
Old 06-17-2019, 01:31 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
Get a roll of 40'x`18" of TracWrap for $200 and apply it yourself as temporary paint protection, cover headlights too. Get the real stuff when you are back in USA and not on a timetable where the German installer may or may not get to your car (one ED post)

https://www.xpel.com/tracwrap-18x40-...rotection-film
Sound advice, if you're looking for temporary protection and not made of money.

Tracwrap was an option, but given our time frame, I just opted for staying away from trucks or riding bumpers. During drop off, I didn't see any chips on the front end or the rear fenders.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I picked up my car in Leipzig because I wanted the track experience and factory tour.

There was no issue with putting the plate on with tape although they just said be careful it doesn't fall off. It wasn't going to fall off.

The Euro plates have hole spacing which is exact to US plates so, if I did it again, I would just put on the US plate holder and put the Euro plate on it. Obviously I'm not concerned about holes in my bumper.

I discussed getting PPF prior to delivery. They sent me some info but as I inquired further, it was clear they really weren't sure what they were proposing since it was outsourced so, in the end, they suggested not doing it because they were uncomfortable with quality control. That was before it was offered as a factory option.

I got the PPF put on after I arrived home with about 4000 miles on the car. First car I have ever put PPF on. Probably a bad influence from this forum. I only did it because I take the car to AutoX and DE. I'm happy I did it and, personally, the miles in Europe weren't a big deal for me. Glad I made the decision to wait. If the factory option was available life would have been a little easier.

Porsche has some suggested itineraries that they send in the Euro package with hotels/restaurants/roads. You might want to try to get them to send them to you a bit earlier since it could help with planning. Biggest issue with ED planning, IMO, is just too many options. Hard to narrow down what you might want to do and I had already done multiple multi-month European road trips.

So much to see and do, so little time.

(Edit: I just saw the part about whether it was worth it or not. I did it and spent four weeks in the car. I could take it or leave it. I probably would not have done it for 5 days. On the other hand, my wife really enjoyed it and I think Euro delivery is a priority for her going forward.)
Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 423 Posts

Def do it, is do it if I only had one or two days. Five will allow you a lot of options, just decide if you want to do track stuff, mountains or cities. If mountains, do a loop down south through Italy and Switzerland. If track, first check Ring and Spa for dates. Several drop off locations around N Europe to choose from.

Don't worry about ppf. Plate is installed w Velcro and won't come off. Even at 306kph...
Old 06-17-2019, 02:29 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 218 Posts

I spent 9 days there (8 countries and Nurburgring) and drove almost 2000 km. No track wrap or PPF. Car was just fine. Did PPF when car got here.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:58 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Leipzig, remember the Steigenberger has no garage, they use a public one 5 or 6 blocks away, but its an awesome hotel, I don't know about the other options, I think the factory closes for part of august, do the Ring for sure, also go to the Mercedes museum. Id track wrap it there and then get it done properly at home, I ceramic coat at home then xpel after a couple weeks
Old 06-17-2019, 04:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 782 Posts

I’ve already replaced the right front screen and if you zoom in you see the center is bashed in.
One piece of rubber (with a rock in it?) seems to have gone through but without clear bra, it wouldn’t have been pretty..
4-5 more track days to go :-)

It will all be cleaned up before it goes back to the factory on the 26th.
Once state side it will be properly Xpelled :-)

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 06-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Suggestions? and questions