Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First drive in 991 Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Just what I was expecting on throttle response. Not surprised of the driving feel : this is a street car,more than anything Motorsports have done so far! Can't wait for the first tuner to get their hands on one of these so they can let this baby sing without " a stuffy nose " !
Thanks for the review Pete.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by golden1911
Great write up, thanks so much !
Originally Posted by Jamie140
Thank you Pete!
Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Thank you Pete!
Originally Posted by Petevb
Nice Pete, thanks.
^ You're welcome!

I find this interesting. You're part throttle through that speed range, or?
Full throttle...and then maybe backing off on the way to a bend? Not so much an "always this" throttle input so much as a part of the rev range to be in from time to time. I noticed myself up in the upper reaches in 997 GT3s more than I did 991 GT3s, at least in CA. That's changed to some extent, but I've found that last 1000 rpm somewhat illusive on the street. Is it psychological or real? Could be either, or both.

On one hand the Speedster could be pulling through that range slower, especially if it's on questionable gas. It is heavier after all, and if it was detonating I'm sure the engine management system was pulling timing which will effect higher RPMs disproportionately. On the flip side on paper the new engine's peak power has moved up in the rev range, so you'd think it should cover the last 1k faster. It should also be missing that slight reduction in shove I rely on to avoid clumsily smacking into the limiter, both of which would make me think the last 1k would be harder to use. Unless you're mainly talking about part throttle? Throttle modulation across the whole range has long been ITB's strong suit...

Or might it might even be unrelated entirely and the car's amazing suspension is simply slowing everything down bullet-time style? Interesting effect either way.
Interesting observations. A lot going on, and a lot to unpack above. Should stress that the detonation was tiny, and not often and then only down low for a split second. I heard as much in my GT4 on CA gas from time to time. My guess is the cost might be like my GT4's, affecting midrange more than top end, but who knows without putting the thing on a dyno or doing other testing. My take is that the Speedster was making most of its promised power on full throttle in Sardinia. At least, that's what my fairly decent butt dyno suggests. Thing was not slow, or "soft" on full throttle. Of course, timing can be a subtle pull...

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Based on your Speedster first drive how do you think this new engine will affect the RS with PDKS etc..
Suspect that, if your intel is right, those cars would be even more precise than the already very precise 991.2 GT3 RS—and the closed coupe, with that big rear window reflecting the sound of the engine forward, will not lose the engine/intake noises lost in the Speedster. Will be interesting to see…

Originally Posted by john weires
What a great mini review. Can't thank you enough for your professional opinions. One more question for now. How would you estimate driving position and visibility to be for someone 5 foot 7 inches tall?
You are welcome—but that's gonna be a tough one for me to answer at 6'2 with 32-inch inseams. I'm tall in the torso, and prefer to "slam" the seat as low as I can get it. Good news for you (and all of us) in this generation is the LWBS offer quite a bit of seat height adjustment. My guess is that you're in good shape if you like the current GT3—as the lower windshield will be a non-issue for you.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Those interested in the forthcoming 982 Spyder are wondering if it will be a GT car (my hunch is yes). Your comments above about how the GT folks view the typical Speedster customer differently from the average GT3 coupe customer are telling and I suspect the very same thing will be said when the next Spyder debuts and it is compared, as it inevitably will be, to the next GT4. The company line will be that those in the market for the Spyder GT want a car more road-oriented and compliant (code word for "softer") than those in the market for a track-oriented GT4.

I'm guessing the next Spyder will be the second open Motorsport-developed road car and it will somewhat mimic the road vs. track emphasis we see between the current 981 Spyder and GT4.

Thanks for all the time and effort expended providing us all with such detailed feedback. Great stuff!
Good guesses all around, but I'd be guessing too. I suspect, however, that a 718 Spyder could be a bit more playful/youthful than a 911 Speedster? Much in the way we see things with the open 718 vs. 911 variants?

Originally Posted by GrantG
Pete - could the lack of edge be due to the street tires on the Speedster vs. Cup2’s on the other GT products? It does have street tires, doesn’t it (or do I have that wrong)?
We were on Cup 2s, and the cars felt nicely sorted/aligned. I think it would be interesting to review the alignment specs and/or play with these. Wouldn't be hard to dial more edge in, I suspect. And remember: This may be a matter of personal preference...it certainly is with me.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just what I was expecting on throttle response. Not surprised of the driving feel : this is a street car,more than anything Motorsports have done so far! Can't wait for the first tuner to get their hands on one of these so they can let this baby sing without " a stuffy nose " !
Thanks for the review Pete.
You're welcome, and I'll be curious to see what tuners do—or try to do—with this exhaust. Back pressure is key with the ITBs and ECU, as I understand it. Upset that, and things might get ugly. But…
Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

How many mufflers on the car? I would guess 2 in line with the OPFs (or membrane in the US) and a center section. Pete are there 3 mufflers? If so, X-pipe the middle section, that should rattle our ***** some
However, what concerns me, is same output plus weight for electronics, how the hell are the next gt cars gonna be faster?????? Exhaust is non replaceable, tune is worthless on the NA. So, theres only 1 option. Maybe the whistling sound is real
Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 PM
twistor
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete
Thanks so much for the excellent write up. I am also tall and long in the torso. For those fortunate to get one, what are your thoughts on the window tint option Porsche has on the configurator for this car. Will this be an option to look for if you are tall?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey Pete. Thanks for the intel. You are 6'2" and you didn't seem to have an issue with room. I'm 6'4" with a 34 inch inseam and that shouldn't make much difference regarding the windshield and roof positioning yes?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

Fabulous write up thanks for doing that
it doesn’t feel like you believe this car is a must have
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Can anyone explain what this button does on the steering wheel? It only appears when I select the sport chrono yet it wasn’t on the NYIAS heritage car, despite it having the chrono. It also doesn’t get added on other GT cars when the chrono is selected.

is this a configurator glitch?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

99% sure configurator glitch
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice write up Pete, always first rate descriptions and analysis. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972

Can anyone explain what this button does on the steering wheel? It only appears when I select the sport chrono yet it wasn’t on the NYIAS heritage car, despite it having the chrono. It also doesn’t get added on other GT cars when the chrono is selected.

is this a configurator glitch?
Looks like a picture of non GT car's drive mode selection dial is used erroneously.
BTW I also don't see any buttons to the left the shifter as there should be a Sport, Shocks, ESP off, ESP + TC off buttons there.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 562 Likes on 360 Posts

Thank you, Pete
Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 AM
80s
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

@stout
Is torque improved compared to a gt3t?
Does it rev quicker?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If it takes $400k to get a big, heavy, soft, quiet, and edge-less Porsche these days, then how much would it take for a small, light, stiff, and loud one with an edge? The math has become quite confusing for me lately.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:52 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
If it takes $400k to get a big, heavy, soft, quiet, and edge-less Porsche these days, then how much would it take for a small, light, stiff, and loud one with an edge? The math has become quite confusing for me lately.
You can have mine for msrp. Lol
Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
It's called a Carrera GT

Quick Reply: First drive in 991 Speedster