Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2RS vs GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Congrats on both GTs. Flawless beauties.
Enjoy it in good health.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I’ve driven the GT2RS. Not much but I thought it was not that hard.
To me the .2 GT3RS is harder.

spring rates are the same, weight is a little more on the GT2RS, so that leaves the sway bars.
Agree. Found little difference between them but the nod went to 3RS on stiffness. Steering was lighter in 2RS and I could sense the additional weight in the rear. 2RS is the better street car given its torque. No wrong choice here.

Just wish the 2RS revved to 8k....
Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agree. Found little difference between them but the nod went to 3RS on stiffness. Steering was lighter in 2RS and I could sense the additional weight in the rear. 2RS is the better street car given its torque. No wrong choice here.

Just wish the 2RS revved to 8k....
Same roads driven back to back by the same idiot I felt the 2RS is noticeably stiffer. There was some difference in tire temp with the 2RS tires being colder, but not a noticable difference on the terribly inaccurate dash pressure read out. Both cars have WP, PCCBs so very similar spec. Only the 2RS had the mag wheels given the order timing but that should make it more compliant.

I will try to do a couple of 100 mile drives back to back over the next few weeks to get a better comparison.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by uniqueMR
Congrats on both GTs. Flawless beauties.
Enjoy it in good health.
tks a lot ; it’s a dream owning these two cars
Old 04-24-2019, 01:14 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

991.2 GT2RS and GT3RS have exactly all the same suspension parts:

- Shocks are the same
- control arms are the same
- main springs and helpers, spring perches, camber plates, all the same
- wheels and tires, same
- steering rack and all hardware, same part#
- same brakes, calipers, rotors, brake pads, abs pump
- same anti-sway bars

The GT2 is heavier on the front axle , and plenty heavier on the rear axle, the two cars equipped with same options are around 150 lbs apart. Normally, on equal springs/shocks/bars, a heavier car would feel softer.

The Porsche factory videos clearly show which car handles better by looking at minimum apex speeds.

On paper (based on specs) the GT3RS should be the stiffer car due to its lighter weight, but there is one part missing from all of the above: What is inside the PASM controller? If Porsche applied different programming to both cars, there will be the final answer, and I bet Porsche made different programming due to weight difference, speed difference, acceleration difference, weight distribution. For me, the PASM controller doesn't make a difference, because I already tested 3 maps in the DSC V3 and all of them gave me better handling than the factory PASM controller, so I keep a nearly new 991.2 GT3RS PASM controller in my office to remind me that aftermarket tuners (TPC Racing) can outsmart the Porsche engineers on suspension tuning, Because 'Murica!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
aftermarket tuners (TPC Racing) can outsmart the Porsche engineers on suspension tuning, Because 'Murica!!!
LOL
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
On paper (based on specs) the GT3RS should be the stiffer car due to its lighter weight, but there is one part missing from all of the above: What is inside the PASM controller? If Porsche applied different programming to both cars, there will be the final answer, and I bet Porsche made different programming due to weight difference, speed difference, acceleration difference, weight distribution. For me, the PASM controller doesn't make a difference, because I already tested 3 maps in the DSC V3 and all of them gave me better handling than the factory PASM controller, so I keep a nearly new 991.2 GT3RS PASM controller in my office to remind me that aftermarket tuners (TPC Racing) can outsmart the Porsche engineers on suspension tuning, Because 'Murica!!!
Better handling in what way? Were you turning timed laps?
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Better handling in what way? Were you turning timed laps?
Car puts more power down on exit than stock pasm, quicker rebound control on fast transitions, less lock on hard braking.

Timed laps and 1 or 2 drivers running stock pasm, dsc, back to stock pasm. Circuit Tools for analysis. Gains were better than my .1 GT3RS got with the V2, but I also got more proficient at tuning my own DSC maps. Lots of fun hours ion and out of track making improvements, and they are paying off.

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3RS