Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS for my son!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 PM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
lol @ worrying about the cost of gas and oil changes after giving someone that makes $11/hour a $250k car. This can't be real because nobody's wife would ever want their teenage kid driving a $250k race car, among other reasons
take my wife for a day and then check your bank account afterwards
Old 04-19-2019, 11:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I don’t know what’s more entertaining...The troll or the guys here buying into it.

I’ll just watch. Subscribed.

Omfg.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi CharlottesBest I dont now the age of your son or if he is in anyway a good driver ...

But from experience with my 18 year old daughter and her recent motor vehicle accident ,,I would buy him a new Japanese made hatch back or small size sedan eg Mazda 2 ,Toyota corolla or Honda civic etc ..
I purchased my Daughter a Mazda 2 neo for her first car ,,,small 1.5 liter engined car reliable ,,cheap to run and with all the modern safety features to keep her safe ..
About four months into her first 6 months of driving she lost control of the car at speed in the wet and put it in a flat spin resulting in the car being ridden off ..
When I arrived at the accident scene I felt physically ill upon seeing the car as it was destroyed ,,every air bag had deployed and there were parts of the car eg bumpers and grill ,glass and so on littered down the roadway as she spun the car around several times and hit things ,,,I honesty expected the worst after seeing the wreak ..
The para medics at the accident took her to the Hospital before I arrived ,but the police officers on the scene said she was fine and didnt have a scratch on her ,she was a very lucky girl and car had done its job and protected its driver very well ..
I raced off to the Hospital and meet up with her after the medical staff did some routine checks to see that she was Ok ...
All ended well as she suffered Zero injuries and was only up set about crashing the car and keep saying she was sorry ,,But I was ok with it only thing that matters was she was safe and well ...

So the moral of my long winded story is I would get him something that is safe ,reliable and cost effective to own ,,,,and if he is a new driver something with a small engine and focus on safety features because more than likely as most young drivers do the car will be involved in a accident ..
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Received 627 Likes on 332 Posts

You are very generous parents. I live in southern California and was actually out today looking at various spec'd RS's. I wanted to order one spec'd in Miami Blue but every dealer I go to say's all their allocations are taken already. About 3 weeks ago Irvine Porsche had one left. I'm really kicking myself for not taking it. Hopefully you can find an allocation left to build. Good luck. As far as markup goes, thats a good question. The dealers here in SoCal currently are asking 20k over (Irvine) up to 50k over (Newport Beach) for a 2019 GT3RS. This still is surprising to me as they all have plenty in Inventory. In fact, Irvine had 11 of them on site. Seems to me that they might want to lower the markup to try to clear off their books a bit. I understand the markup when the new model is about to be released or even during the first few months. But I can't justify the market adjustment when you have more in inventory than fingers to count them on. I can't answer your question about what's a fair markup to pay as I haven't made my purchase yet but I absolutely won't pay more then 20K over with all the cars saturating the market. Simple law of supply and demand. I'm curious what others feel is a fair markup to pay for the car. At MSRP they are making profit. The markup of to me is price gouging or the beauty of a free market. Either way, looks like you are gonna have one super happy young man on his birthday.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

lol @ the thought of anyone thinking buying their teenage kid a $250k race car is a good idea. I don't have any kids but JFC what are you thinking? That thing gonna be wrapped around a tree soon as he picks it up....and then someone is gonna have to scrape his brains off the road, it's gonna really suck for the guy who has to do that. Oh, and it's gonna suck for your son too....cuz you know, he'll be dead and all. Buy him a Civic and teach him some life lessons.
Ive seen 17 year olds given their own Formula Atlantic race cars. OP says his kid is into karting. Maybe he can handle it.

Ok now this has to be a troll.....OP's son gonna roll up to his $11/hour job in a $250k car? Right...
Haha that would be funny. Have you ever seen the parking lot at Beverly Hills High? Teacher's cars vs the Kids's cars!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

It’s a true shame how far downhill this forum has gone.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 AM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evilfij
I say go for it.

A lot safer than what I was rolling around in as a young kid. My truck did not even have seat belts.

However, a $50-75k used Carrera 4 of the vintage of your choice and $200k in investments or a starter house when he is ready to move out seems like a better idea.

So far PTS has not opened up in the US for 991.2 GT3RS so if he really wants a voodoo car, you would have to find a used 991.1 RS (which will save some serious coin for what is basically an as new used one).
Yeah it’s a lot safer than my first car aswell, I had a beat up 1981 Volkswagen rabbit convertible! He already has some investments of his own going, but thank you for the advice! Do you know when PTS starts for the 991.2 GT3RS?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:26 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

I’m personally fine with buying my children supercars but if my son was a cashier making $11/hr, no way in hell I would reward that with a GT3 RS...unless I wanted him to be a cashier forever.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlottesBest
Yeah it’s a lot safer than my first car aswell, I had a beat up 1981 Volkswagen rabbit convertible! He already has some investments of his own going, but thank you for the advice! Do you know when PTS starts for the 991.2 GT3RS?
It’s not clear it will ever start up. A few people in Europe have PTS GT3RS on order, but no word on US. Maybe if there is another batch of allocations. Voodoo was very (relatively for a PTS color of course) popular on the 991.1 RS so there is a chance you might find one for sale.

If you have not check out nationalpreownedporsche.com and cars.com cargurus etc.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:36 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

and I need to make sure the car is affordable for my son because he’s going to be paying for his own oil changes, so that’s why I asked that question.
What about insurance, tires? Oil changes vary a lot per dealer, just give the local one a call and ask them how much the yearly service will be. To keep it in warranty you need to do the proper service, not just change the oil.

Come on guys, it's easier to take it seriously because hey maybe it's serious and even if not it's still easier to just answer than get all worked up.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 AM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fijibubba
You are very generous parents. I live in southern California and was actually out today looking at various spec'd RS's. I wanted to order one spec'd in Miami Blue but every dealer I go to say's all their allocations are taken already. About 3 weeks ago Irvine Porsche had one left. I'm really kicking myself for not taking it. Hopefully you can find an allocation left to build. Good luck. As far as markup goes, thats a good question. The dealers here in SoCal currently are asking 20k over (Irvine) up to 50k over (Newport Beach) for a 2019 GT3RS. This still is surprising to me as they all have plenty in Inventory. In fact, Irvine had 11 of them on site. Seems to me that they might want to lower the markup to try to clear off their books a bit. I understand the markup when the new model is about to be released or even during the first few months. But I can't justify the market adjustment when you have more in inventory than fingers to count them on. I can't answer your question about what's a fair markup to pay as I haven't made my purchase yet but I absolutely won't pay more then 20K over with all the cars saturating the market. Simple law of supply and demand. I'm curious what others feel is a fair markup to pay for the car. At MSRP they are making profit. The markup of to me is price gouging or the beauty of a free market. Either way, looks like you are gonna have one super happy young man on his birthday.
You're so lucky! My dealership only has 5 911’s, in total! I doubt they will have any allocations. And this is a dealership owned by Hendrick, a really big deal in motorsports, if you watch NASCAR, the dealership owner also owns Hendricks Motorsports.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:50 AM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tangerine
What about insurance, tires? Oil changes vary a lot per dealer, just give the local one a call and ask them how much the yearly service will be. To keep it in warranty you need to do the proper service, not just change the oil.

Come on guys, it's easier to take it seriously because hey maybe it's serious and even if not it's still easier to just answer than get all worked up.
I’ll pay for the insurance. It’ll be much cheaper if it’s under my name and he’s just a “driver”. He can pay for the tires for street use, as if he drives conservatively on the street they shouldn’t wear too quickly, but if he does ever track the car I’ll take care of those expenses. But thank you for the oil change advice, I’ll call the dealership and some European car shops nearby.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:55 AM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evilfij
It’s not clear it will ever start up. A few people in Europe have PTS GT3RS on order, but no word on US. Maybe if there is another batch of allocations. Voodoo was very (relatively for a PTS color of course) popular on the 991.1 RS so there is a chance you might find one for sale.

If you have not check out nationalpreownedporsche.com and cars.com cargurus etc.
Thank you for this information!
I found a 2016 Voodoo blue GT3RS for $239,998 which seems a little ridiculous compared to the MSRP on the 2019 my son spec’d. It’s basically 10k under for a used car with 6100 miles... I can’t imagine the markup on the 2019!
Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The most important thing here is that if you do get him the GT3 RS to ensure you get European delivery so that your son gets the full track car experience. Believe it or not but it's a totally free option now. Prostitution is legal in Germany and after your son lowers his testosterone levels he can practice his race car driving skills on this relatively unknown racetrack called the Nurburgring. Basically, if you go the smart route and choose European delivery, your son can proverbially kill two birds with one stone. Ensure you send plenty of condoms because from what I've seen at the local German pharmacy it's significantly more expensive for condoms in Europe. He's going to need to save every penny he can from his job across the street to pay for those expensive oil changes but with the right mindset it's totally doable!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS for my son!