Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS for my son!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As someone who was the victim in one of these situations in California, I can tell you that the parents are only liable if there is obvious negligence, and it’s a very high standard. Any plaintiffs attorney will tell you that and won’t even bother going after the parents.
Without proof sufficient to prove to a reasonable person wouldn’t waste my time. No settlement or verdict I lose all my time and money.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
The parents can be sued for negligent entrustment regardless of who's name the car is in. Even if the parents gave him the cash and he bought in his name and insured in his name, an injured party could claim that the parents knew what he intended to use the money for, or knew that he was buying a car. Of course, the injured party would have to have some proof that the parents had reason to know that the kiddo was an unsafe driver and presented a foreseeable risk to the public.

Absent a negligent entrustment theory, parents are not liable for the actions of their children in most states/cases. Parents insurance carrier would be liable for the child's negligence if the child was driving an insured vehicle or was a named insured on the policy.
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Without proof sufficient to prove to a reasonable person wouldn’t waste my time. No settlement or verdict I lose all my time and money.
But doesn't the very act of giving a teenager a race car for his first car constitute negligence?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:04 PM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlottesBest
He doesn’t like SUV’s, and my wife wants to spoil him, and he does karting events so a track car will help him if he ever wants to actually race professionally later in life. Also I’ve heard horror stories from one of my employees who has a SVR.
Sounds like a great idea ! We should all be spoiling our kids so they have no work ethic or appreciation for money. I would say , however, that the GT3 RS is rather weak on horsepower. I’d recommend a Mclaren 720s with 750-800hp. Better yet, why not buy him a La Ferrari? I’m sure the 1000hp hypercar will be well managed by the 16 year old .

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS for my son!