Sponsored by:

Owner's Comparo of 570S and GT3.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
Loved the review! Felt like I went through the ownership of a mac 570 in a span of 15 minutes. Everytime I'm YouTube surfing there is truly nothing else like watching a pov video of a mac accelerating..especially when boost hits.
​​​​​​
I'd like to know what tires you have on your car now and if the p4s makes a sizable difference in reducing road noise. I agree the Bose in the car is terrible.. it really is no match to the r8's b&o.. have not heard Macs bw system yet.
I have the PS4 on order and might get some extra rims for them. Keep the Cup 2 for autocrosses.

I spoke with an engineer at a sound abatement company and he felt that using Mass-loaded vinyl, covered in A factory-like carpet would be a huge decrease in road noise. He noted that the rear parcel shelf could be covered with a removable over-lay and have velcro to hold it. So, essentially, you would have an invisible and removable capability to drop 3 dB of road noise for a hit of about 12 Lbs. I am working on a prototype now.

If it turns out to be unfeasible, I will just stick with the PS4s as a noise abatement procedure!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:01 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by stpatsday
docjohn
interesting comparison. Thanks for posting up.
Was at Mac dealership last week, and couldn’t help but feel a bit sad for all the preowned 570s sitting on the lot. However the price point was good on some of those trade ins.
Q: did you install the ps4 tires? I live in PA and roads are well yea pretty bad this winter.
Getting a 570 that is 2 years old or so would be nice. Just do what I didn't.....have them add a 2 year extended warranty as part of the deal. There is much to like about the 570, and if you get a good one, I imagine it would be a stellar experience. I love the GT3, but miss the frantic drive of the 570S sometimes!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by 360MVA
Exactly - on both points.
No worries! I loved the 570 when it did run!

As for the length of the review, I wrote it for a private enthusiast club. It was not edited down for here. It just happened that somebody requested I post it, so I did so before I could boil it down a bit. I also tried to illuminate facets that were NOT in other reviews or magazines.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by fastmd
Hey Man, very detailed and intelligent post.

I am glad Greg took care of you. My new to me 964 has been in his shop the last few weeks. He sent me a picture with parts removed so they can be restored correctly.

I didnt know you are close to flemington.

I am up up the hill from the hospital. Send me a PM, you need to stop by the garage for some drinks.

Tage
\
Will do tage!

I am in that area all the time. I used to work with a lot of the guys at HMC and the surrounding hospitals.

Greg is a great guy. You should have seen the size of his smile when I said "Tage sent me!".
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Great write-up! I had to break it up into two reading sessions, but I made it through and enjoyed thoroughly.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:08 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always funny to me when any modern car is referred to in any way as analog. Other than that manual transmission there isn't anything analog about your GT3. Just heard an old-timer at a PCA track day complaining about the rear steering. I am sure there is more computing power in your GT3 then the space shuttle had.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:09 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Always funny to me when any modern car is referred to in any way as analog. Other than that manual transmission there isn't anything analog about your GT3. Just heard an old-timer at a PCA track day complaining about the rear steering. I am sure there is more computing power in your GT3 then the space shuttle had.
Very true!

Real "Analog" to me is a Spec Racer Ford, Lotus elise or a Formula Mazda. (which would be miserable to drive daily)

But, we have to get as close as we can in feasible limits. For example, I prefer the way the GT3 does it's business, compared to say....a Nissan GTR. In the GTR, the car senses what you intend to do and then makes it happen for you. It juggles torque to each wheel, drags the brakes, alters boost and throttle...all the driver needs to do is steer and be reasonable in their efforts.

Even Porsche's own PDK is "better than human" at making choices for gears. (as per Randy Pobst and other racers)

That being said, Porsche is trying very hard to still keep the driver in control, and let them -feel- like they are in control. A clutch pedal, stick shift, NA motor, actual gauges with needles, and so on all add to that. We should rejoice now, since "brake by wire", "steer by wire" and even a simulated clutch pedal are all being proposed or implemented in current cars by Nissan, Honda and others!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I really enjoyed the read and exhaustive review. I laughed when I saw your service station style squeegee and paper towel dispenser. I bet you hate bug splatter on your windshield

J
haha! I am glad you saw that. I thought it was funny to get one, since they are disappearing at our local stations. Best $200 bucks that I've spent in my garage!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good write up! Were the Mac dealers nice or did they give you problems when you had to bring it back for service? I know our local dealer doesn't have the best reputation.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by jkfuel
Good write up! Were the Mac dealers nice or did they give you problems when you had to bring it back for service? I know our local dealer doesn't have the best reputation.
They gave me the personal cell phone number of their head tech and he would respond to texts or call me within minutes of the problem occurring. When the car needed in-shop work, they sent a car carrier to pick it up and returned it fully detailed right to my garage. Really a great bunch of people over there in Philly!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:30 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Enjoyed reading your write up as someone who's owned a GT3 but never even driven a McLaren. You go into great detail!! Thanks for sharing. So if pressed for a choice I assume you would take the GT3 over the 570S? and both over the R8? Looking for the car magazine style summary
Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I also enjoyed the review. thanks for taking the time to share so much detail. I had the McLaren itch for a while, but as I learned more about various reliability issues I reflected on my ownership of various Porsches, and think my next car will be a GT3, as soon as the ADM madness is over.

I appreciate what McLaren has done in a short period of time, but I just don't want to risk the hassle of endless reliability issues.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:34 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Enjoyed reading your write up as someone who's owned a GT3 but never even driven a McLaren. You go into great detail!! Thanks for sharing. So if pressed for a choice I assume you would take the GT3 over the 570S? and both over the R8? Looking for the car magazine style summary
Absolutely. The 2018-19 GT3 is one of the most impressive cars I have ever driven and it is a "keeper". It does almost everything better than the 570, except have that 'exotic' side. It's practicality is astonishing. For example, I just did an 8 hour drive with the GT3 thru horrible rain storms this past weekend, and arrived feeling great. We then did some spirited driving on some dry backroads when the storms cleared and it was superb. The Mclaren finishes behind the GT3 but will always be missed because it was a complete "event" to drive. It is not a direct competitor to the GT3 because of a complete lack of practicality. If the 570 were more durable and reliable, I would have had to toss a coin between the GT3 and 570. If I were a rich man, I would have both the GT3 and 570S. The R8 V8 was like a junior supercar, but was a full cut below the GT3 and 570S, both in cost, capability and excitement. The V8 R8 though was extremely unique for it's time, being the same price as a 2015 C4S, but having a true taste of Exotic with it's Gated shifter and so on. I will always miss that car, but it became quite boring, to be honest.

Pecking order: GT3>570S>R8 V8 (Kool-Aide Free™ as usual)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Absolutely. The 2018-19 GT3 is one of the most impressive cars I have ever driven and it is a "keeper". It does almost everything better than the 570, except have that 'exotic' side. It's practicality is astonishing. For example, I just did an 8 hour drive with the GT3 thru horrible rain storms this past weekend, and arrived feeling great. We then did some spirited driving on some dry backroads when the storms cleared and it was superb. The Mclaren finishes behind the GT3 but will always be missed because it was a complete "event" to drive. It is not a direct competitor to the GT3 because of a complete lack of practicality. If the 570 were more durable and reliable, I would have had to toss a coin between the GT3 and 570. If I were a rich man, I would have both the GT3 and 570S. The R8 V8 was like a junior supercar, but was a full cut below the GT3 and 570S, both in cost, capability and excitement. The V8 R8 though was extremely unique for it's time, being the same price as a 2015 C4S, but having a true taste of Exotic with it's Gated shifter and so on. I will always miss that car, but it became quite boring, to be honest.

Pecking order: GT3>570S>R8 V8 (Kool-Aide Free™ as usual)
right on. Enjoy your GT3 in good health
Old 03-27-2019, 02:21 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Very nice. Bravo

Quick Reply: Owner's Comparo of 570S and GT3.2