Sponsored by:

Lift or No Lift.......Track Setup 991.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Lift or No Lift.......Track Setup 991.2 RS

After seeing some threads talking about how guys are setting their cars up for track usage there has been a common thread. Most guys are saying their 991.2 GT3 RS can't go as low as their 991.1 GT3 RS on the front of the car. As you can see the new Front Axle Lift system on the new .2 cars is located at the bottom of the spring assembly on the strut. In doing this the car has a lot less threads on the adjustable spring perch for lowering the car. The car pictured they were only able to lower the car 7mm from the factory setting. Compare this to the first image of the car without lift. In the car without the lift there are a lot more threads for adjusting the ride height of the car lower. The no lift car has not been lowered yet and is still riding at the factory set ride height. This car will be lowered at a later date and when it does I will report back with the final settings.

Non-lift on .2 GT3 RS

Lift System on .2 GT3 RS

Last edited by Seth Thomas; 03-04-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the info. I enjoy the more aggressive look of the lowered RS and have set up on my .1 RS at 9/16-3/4" lower. Look forward to your update on non-FAL lowering.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 AM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My experience on the .1RS has been if you lower more than 10mm the tires will rub. 10mm is about the max the new FAL strut allows you to go.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsierra
My experience on the .1RS has been if you lower more than 10mm the tires will rub. 10mm is about the max the new FAL strut allows you to go.

10mm is probably when keeping the stock camber on the car. My old 991.1 was lowered about 15mm on the front with -2.5 degrees of camber with no rubbing at Road Atlanta.

The GT2RS in the picture with the lift was only able to be lowered 7mm before the adjustment collar ran out of threads.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM
rsierra
Banned

Sorry I missed that,interesting. When I lowered my .2 3RS I thought I measured 10mm of exposed thread. But I'm also assuming that equated to 10mm of actual drop. Ground to bottom of fender is like 27"
Old 03-05-2019, 04:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

seth is right
that’s why FAL no bueno

also many ppl lower their cars for look. ugh no
u corner balance it to a optimal ht not eyeball it

how low can it go

there a LOT of variables. camber caster tire track steering angle I can go on. u need a real
akignmnet guy who
works with u. bc everyone drives differently.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Don't base your amount lowering on the ground to fender height. There needs to be a flat surface that you know if 100% level to to base your measurement off and most concrete pads are not 100% level as they have some high/low spots.

The factory typically has a spot on the chassis they want measurements to be taken from for ride height. On the 991 chassis these spots are a couple of points on the subframe area of the car since these are points that do not vary between cars and the alignment rack they expect them to be measured on are trued with no high/low points.

If you lowered your car on your own and have not had it aligned since then you need to get that done. Lowering the car even 10mm will change the toe settings.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Don't base your amount lowering on the ground to fender height. There needs to be a flat surface that you know if 100% level to to base your measurement off and most concrete pads are not 100% level as they have some high/low spots.

The factory typically has a spot on the chassis they want measurements to be taken from for ride height. On the 991 chassis these spots are a couple of points on the subframe area of the car since these are points that do not vary between cars and the alignment rack they expect them to be measured on are trued with no high/low points.

If you lowered your car on your own and have not had it aligned since then you need to get that done. Lowering the car even 10mm will change the toe settings.
lol
we used to eye ball and cut springs in my jdm days

Old 03-05-2019, 04:53 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

On my 991.1 RS I had FAL, and I had 25mm available for drop on the front struts. I went down those 25mm and it ate the fender liner in minutes. So, I went up 13mm (-12mm from factory setting). All good, new fender liners, new side markers (tires ate them), all good.

On my 991.2 GT3 RS, car came at pick-up truck ride height. Horrible, McLaren Senna style. To my surprise, only 8mm available for drop (car has FAL too), after the lowering the car was still a little high (knowing that it would get uglier with the 19" 295 Hoosiers). But, I went an added 9mm of camber shims and the car dropped another 9mm and it is perfect where it is.

Both cars .1 and .2 can drop any ride height on the rear until tire touches everything, and RWS eats the paint. I lowered the .2 10mm (6mm or 4 turns on the rear collars) and had to go up 5mm because of rubbing.

With FAL, the .2 can be lowered a little more than the 8mm allowed by the collars, but if I knew this handicap, I would have purchased a car with NO-FAL. FAL is extra weight, all-show-no-go. My RS sits higher than my 991 Turbo S, shame.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

lol
we used to eye ball and cut springs in my jdm days

ROTFLMAO! Used to do the same and hope we liked the look. Boy have we come a long ways since those days.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My .2 GT3 non RS front shocks look like the .1 RS in Seth’s photo...not like the .2 RS in Seth’s photo. Anyone know anything about the difference between RS and regular GT3 front shocks for FAL?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:24 PM
rsierra
Banned

No kidding, you have to on a level surface and you should get an alignment if you lower your car? Wow, you learn something new everyday!! Thanks man!!!! lol
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
My .2 GT3 non RS front shocks look like the .1 RS in Seth’s photo...not like the .2 RS in Seth’s photo. Anyone know anything about the difference between RS and regular GT3 front shocks for FAL?
The images of the RS struts without the FAL are on my .2 RS. The struts with the FAL are on a .2 RS and I have seen them on the GT2RS also.

If your car has the same looking struts like mine but has FAL then I would bet your lift is more like the one on the .1 GT3 RS. I’ll see if I can get better images of a .1 GT3 RS with your setup. From what I understand the .1 cars had the lift system on the top of the struts.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

The images of the RS struts without the FAL are on my .2 RS. The struts with the FAL are on a .2 RS and I have seen them on the GT2RS also.

If your car has the same looking struts like mine but has FAL then I would bet your lift is more like the one on the .1 GT3 RS. I’ll see if I can get better images of a .1 GT3 RS with your setup. From what I understand the .1 cars had the lift system on the top of the struts.
Mine look more like your .1 on my .2 gt3.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

Mine look more like your .1 on my .2 gt3.
You have FAL?

Quick Reply: Lift or No Lift.......Track Setup 991.2 RS