Sponsored by:

Installed OEM Hood Emblem on GT3RS/911R Hood to Replace Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:08 PM
dieselino
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Installed OEM Hood Emblem on GT3RS/911R Hood to Replace Sticker

So everyone may not agree with this, but personally I really don't like the stickers for the GT3RS and 911R hood. I understand it saves weight, but seriously, how much weight it really saves, so many extra options are put on these cars that weight much more than a badge. Without further debate, I decided to try find a clean way to install the Porsche hood crest on the car to replace the sticker. For all the steps I created a template out of tape so I was able to place the badge in the same location as OEM. My first try was to buy an OEM 991 Hood crest and I filed and sanded smooth the attachment pegs on the back of the badge. I then used automotive 3M adhesive tape and cut it to shape on the back of the badge. This worked great and once on its like any other stuck on badge, very difficult to remove. This is the easiest and least invasive process, but I decided to take it one step further.

The 997 Hood emblem, actually sits flush on the surface and uses a black rubber gasket around the outside of the badge. It is then attached by speed nuts from the backside of the hood like the 991 and many other models. The difference with the regular 991 models, is that the emblem sits in a recessed pocket and only has a gasket that's the size of the badge, meaning it is not visible. So I purchased another 991 badge and nuts, but also purchased the rubber badge gasket from the 997.

Warning, this next step is not for the faint of heart!

To install it, I had to of course drill some holes for it to fit. I created a template around the badge so I was able to mark where the badge goes. I first looked at a regular 991 hood to see where the holes are for the access to the speed nuts. There is a little plastic cover you have to remove on the back of the hood to access them. I then took a template of the holes on the backside and drilled into the same spot on the GT3RS Carbon hood. I then used a dremel sanding drum to clean it all up.

After that I used the OEM rubber gasket that came with the 991 badge to use as a template to know where to drill the holes for the badge on the front side of the hood. I then carefully drilled two holes the same size as the holes in the regular 991 hood. Drilling through carbon is stupid easy, but you have to be careful of course.

Lastly I installed the hood emblem just like you normally would. Because the holes are slightly bigger than the prongs, you should have room to adjust the badge to make sure its straight. Very happy with the result. Looks and feels like OEM, probably because its using all OEM parts and methods

My wife went to get her nails done, and I guess her getting Nardo Grey nail polish, is her way of trying to get my attention haha.

Final step is take the same plastic cover from the 991 hood, and use it to cover the two holes made on the backside of the hood. Done!

On a side note, if anyone is interested in the less evasive method, I have the hood badge with the prongs shaved off and new 3M tape for sale ready to be installed.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks good, but you sir have ***** that I do not.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM
dieselino
Pro

Originally Posted by tonymission
Looks good, but you sir have ***** that I do not.
Yes would be a very costly mistake if I screwed up lol.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:12 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Love this. I think the whole sticker thing is just stupid.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:26 PM
crayon991
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the sticker thing is silly.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dieselino
Warning, this next step is not for the faint of heart!
You will hardly have many followers, but that does not mean you are not one hell of a trendsetter. Respect!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Nendo
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks good bud. I don't like the sticker either but I would never cut the hood myself.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:51 PM
aaa335
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I like it, but can’t imagine drilling into a carbon fiber hood....you REALLY hated that sticker!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:06 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you running an RS hood on your 3? More pics please
Old 03-04-2019, 12:17 AM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two thumbs up!
Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

​​​​​​​yeah , you really hated that sticker 😀
Old 03-04-2019, 04:40 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the sticker but still have respect for you letting nothing get in the way of what you want
Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
I like the sticker but still have respect for you letting nothing get in the way of what you want
I second that.

You have brass ones OP.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:24 PM
dieselino
Pro

Originally Posted by NCheok
You will hardly have many followers, but that does not mean you are not one hell of a trendsetter. Respect!
Thank you! Hopefully this information inspires others.

Originally Posted by Nendo
Looks good bud. I don't like the sticker either but I would never cut the hood myself.
Yah was nerve racking but really made sure to measure twice cut once.

Originally Posted by aaa335
I like it, but can’t imagine drilling into a carbon fiber hood....you REALLY hated that sticker!

Even if I didnt drill into it, I would have done the stuck on badge, still better than a sticker!

Originally Posted by SocalTouring
Are you running an RS hood on your 3? More pics please
Yes thats the plan! Not on the car yet. I will post pics when done.

Originally Posted by hashash
yeah , you really hated that sticker ��
Yes I did! Looks really cheap to me.

Originally Posted by tstafford
I second that.

You have brass ones OP.
​​​​​​​Haha thanks!

Quick Reply: Installed OEM Hood Emblem on GT3RS/911R Hood to Replace Sticker